Johnny Mercer to run dedicated veterans' office

This looks like really good news

Mr Mercer will reportedly be asked to focus on ending the legal pursuit of former service personnel, amid anger in the Conservative party over the treatment of those who served during Northern Ireland's Troubles.

"I’m delighted with the role. The PM has tasked me to end the repeated and vexatious pursuit of veterans by so-called Lawfare and to put together legislation to place the Forces covenant into law, in line with a pledge first made by the Conservative Party in 2009."

The new minister has been a vocal critic of the Historical Investigations Unit, which has looked into allegations of misconduct by service personnel as well as unsolved criminal cases stemming from The Troubles.

I was really iffy about him concerning his handling of the Sir Roger Scruton affair as seemingly he is unsuited to principled nuance but this is very much more his comfort zone.

For those who don't know Mercer is ex forces and has deployed as part of Blairs magical mystery tour(s)

Johnny Mercer gets defence minister job as Boris Johnson pledges dedicated veterans' office

Having a seasoned army officer in the defence ministry is long overdue, he will have a slant and insight of things military, that carrer politicians could never have. He will I hope be slightly bias to the three services, and not the treasury bean counters. He has an up hill struggle, I wish him well, we all hope to see and hear great things from his tenure.

[QUOTE="A signaller, post: 9420446, member: 149237"]Having a seasoned army officer in the defence ministry is long overdue, he will have a slant and insight of things military, that carrer politicians could never have.[/QUOTE]

For what it's worth I prefer it when ministers *don't* have a ready made reason to go native. Otherwise where do you stop? Doctors can only do health, teachers can only do education, and cabinet meetings become an irreconcilable one-eyed bunfight.

Using your own argument, you've never been a "career politician" so how can you possibly know what slants or insights they have or need?

See the problem?

[QUOTE="A signaller, post: 9420446, member: 149237"] He will I hope be slightly bias to the three services, and not the treasury bean counters. [/QUOTE]

I really hope he isn't. What defence needs now is clear-eyed, fact based arguments to the Treasury, not special pleading.

More broadly, I'll give 2/1 on this being the shortest of all the appointments - I like JM, but he does come across as naïve, and he's either just boxed himself off from his own principles, or the toys will fly out of the cot in record time and it'll be back to the back benches. Essentially, he's just been made minister with special responsibility for historical prosecutions, without the mandate or power to curtail them. After months of high profile campaigning against them.

Boris looks to have played a short time blinder by shutting him up, IMO.

Having a seasoned army officer in the defence ministry is long overdue, he will have a slant and insight of things military, that carrer politicians could never have. He will I hope be slightly bias to the three services, and not the treasury bean counters. He has an up hill struggle, I wish him well, we all hope to see and hear great things from his tenure.
He’s not exactly seasoned is he (militarily, relatively speaking) politically he is naive and regularly frustrated by the complexity of nefarious political cogs and gears and throws his teddies ineffectually

He’ll get stuck in but other than his department being farmed for short term political popularity he is no doubt going to be left howling at the moon like a teenage girl who’s parents grounded her before the big party

Last edited:

Glad_its_all_over

ADC
Book Reviewer
In re military experience in the MoD political echelon, worth noting that the SoS is a former Woodentop, last post OC F Coy, SG - whether that's a prestige sub-unit command or a backwater, I'll leave to any of the resident Household DIvision ninjas to opine on.

For what it's worth, Mercer strikes me as a jolly good sort who did more running and assault courses and making like a Bombardier while he was serving than perhaps was good for him and might just be a touch naive and idealistic for big boys' games inside the government.

Hear hear! We desperately need a middle ranking ex Gunner officer running Defence. While we’re at it, let’s get an ex train driver running Transport (although he’d probably have to take a pay cut).

Give him a Knighthood now , with guaranteed incremental honours every 5 years , so that he can't be bribed by the Establishment to be their lap dog

UORMan

War Hero
Time will tell.
JM has been banging on about persecutions etc since he got in, so give the guy and chance and see if he manages to achieve something viable.

In re military experience in the MoD political echelon, worth noting that the SoS is a former Woodentop, last post OC F Coy, SG - whether that's a prestige sub-unit command or a backwater, I'll leave to any of the resident Household DIvision ninjas to opine on.

For what it's worth, Mercer strikes me as a jolly good sort who did more running and assault courses and making like a Bombardier while he was serving than perhaps was good for him and might just be a touch naive and idealistic for big boys' games inside the government.
I'm sure it not beyond his wit to get stuck into his brief and create a whirlwind of Ministerial questions for the pencil-necks running the show in NI, large enough and frequent enough to accidentally overwhelm their capacity to function effectively.

Because that would be awful.

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
I think this should be taken at face value: an MP who has made a lot of noise about a particular matter, has been given a position where he will be able to have some influence over that matter. This appears to me a Good Thing; Mercer is publicly committed to defending the rights of veterans to the point of becoming a bloody nuisance to the Govt (good on him for that), and with the change of leadership he has been invited to be inside the tent peeing out rather than outside peeing in. I am quite confident that his moral compass is sufficiently calibrated that should the wheels come off and Mercer believes things are still wrong, he won't be silenced by the trappings of power he's been offered.

Time will tell of course, but in general I find it's so much more enjoyable being optimistic than dolefully predicting the worst. And more accurate, for at least 50% of the time....

I think this should be taken at face value: an MP who has made a lot of noise about a particular matter, has been given a position where he will be able to have some influence over that matter. This appears to me a Good Thing; Mercer is publicly committed to defending the rights of veterans to the point of becoming a bloody nuisance to the Govt (good on him for that), and with the change of leadership he has been invited to be inside the tent peeing out rather than outside peeing in. I am quite confident that his moral compass is sufficiently calibrated that should the wheels come off and Mercer believes things are still wrong, he won't be silenced by the trappings of power he's been offered.

Time will tell of course, but in general I find it's so much more enjoyable being optimistic than dolefully predicting the worst. And more accurate, for at least 50% of the time....
Can’t remember the details but, hasn’t his past voting track record shown him to be ‘not wishing to rock the boat’ upon a few occasions?
I could be wrong, happy to be corrected.

chimera

LE
To be honest, it doesn't matter whether he leads it or not, the real point is that a dedicated office has been created. That must be a good thing.

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
Can’t remember the details but, hasn’t his past voting track record shown him to be ‘not wishing to rock the boat’ upon a few occasions?
I could be wrong, happy to be corrected.
Not that I'm aware of; he did however publicly state he would not support the government's legislative agenda over the issue of the prosecution of former soldiers in Ulster. He also accurately referred to the May Govt's slow crawl to nowhere over Brexit as a "Sh*t show", which I don't think made it into Hansard.

He also accurately referred to the May Govt's slow crawl to nowhere over Brexit as a "Sh*t show", which I don't think made it into Hansard.
I can't find it, though I did find these two quotes from Hansard:
"Pathetic useless fat black piece of shit" as a description of Diane Abbot, and:
“The gallows would be a fine and fitting place for this dyke piece of Yid shit to swing from.” said about Ruth Smeeth.

This looks like really good news

Mr Mercer will reportedly be asked to focus on ending the legal pursuit of former service personnel, amid anger in the Conservative party over the treatment of those who served during Northern Ireland's Troubles.

"I’m delighted with the role. The PM has tasked me to end the repeated and vexatious pursuit of veterans by so-called Lawfare and to put together legislation to place the Forces covenant into law, in line with a pledge first made by the Conservative Party in 2009."

The new minister has been a vocal critic of the Historical Investigations Unit, which has looked into allegations of misconduct by service personnel as well as unsolved criminal cases stemming from The Troubles.

I was really iffy about him concerning his handling of the Sir Roger Scruton affair as seemingly he is unsuited to principled nuance but this is very much more his comfort zone.

For those who don't know Mercer is ex forces and has deployed as part of Blairs magical mystery tour(s)

Johnny Mercer gets defence minister job as Boris Johnson pledges dedicated veterans' office
Apart from the NI issue there will be very little to keep him occupied.

HM Forces have a former Soldier as DefSec* & now Johnny appointment for veterans it'll be interesting how swiftly we see any improvements, immediate or at strategic level.

*Penny wasn't given the opportunity to prove herself however I'm informed she was popular.

Sent from my SM-T555 using Tapatalk

Latest Threads