Johnny Mercer chancer or good egg

No problem with the level of remuneration in itself. However, assuming that he is a genuine contractor being paid £1400 per week for four hours work, the Revenue will be asking what he's doing to justify that level of salary to ensure the company are not avoiding corporation tax.
You're confusing this with IR35.
HMRC won't be interested.

Have any arrsers worked with him?
Could be interesting to find out,first hand,what the chap is like.
My brother served alongside him at 29. For what it's worth, I'd say Mercer (at that point) was like most mid-seniority Commando Officers (RM, RA or RE).

I'd be surprised to find Tory whips posting on Arrse. Zzzz...
Yeah, you do the Zzzzzzz thing to me as well...as I told you earlier to this post. Did you forget?

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
No long, if today’s allegations are true.

Quit calls for MP over £85k salary

If true, he should resign.
He's a non-executive director of a company that provides training for veterans. The link to the crooks is spurious and historic.

If something appears too good to be true - 8% in this day and age, for instance, it most certainly is too good to be true and should be avoided. Why is he responsible for people being idiots?

The way he threw Sir Roger Scruton under a bus was deeply disappointing. At least he has the minerals to say he got it wrong:Why I was wrong to call for Roger Scruton to be sacked | Coffee House
Agreed. Just read Douglas Murray's article on the George Eaton interview tapes (he finally got George Eaton to release them) and it really does seem that the New Statesman were set on destroying Scruton's career and reputation for being a conservative. A full apology is the least that can be done. Giving/offering him his (unpaid) advisory role to the Govt would be only fair, although I can't see him accepting it!

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
Not just the whips but all those ambitious crawlers hanging on the deckchairs as they slide off the deck.
It's sad how cynical people become in politics, or how quickly they forget how to walk with the common man.
Totally agree with CC on the military incompetents, but anyone seen as a thruster or rabble rouser is taken away at the knees. The swamp needs draining and a wallop of bleach stuck up a lot of MPs u bends!
Richard Drax MP for Dorset has always struck me as a man of integrity, old school Coldstreamer.
Sadly, he's MP for South Dorset. We in West Dorset are cursed with the Traitor Letwyn.

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
Thanks for that. I for one are heartily sick and fed up of people who whenever their investment goes tits up assume that the Government and its Magic money tree is coming to bail them out. And it’s not like it’s anything new. When Sipra embezzlled the Johnson Mathy Bank back in the 80’s, out of £750m there was one almighty row about what was the government going to do about the shareholders? Instead of using the word nothing, the dozy Pratt’s bailed them out. Thus setting a trend when Banks went tits up mainly due to the incompetence of the directors (who in the main paid nothing in the way of compensation nor went to jail) but let manufacturers go to the wall. A ridiculous attitude which exists to this day aka 2008, when yet again totally down to dishonestly of the banks and the US hubris financial sector, the world teatered on the edge. The solution? Don’t worry the dozy fooking governments will bail you out.
Thus once again showing that when it comes to finance and governments, the financial sector will shaft the taxpayer whilst keeping all their thieving gains. If back in the 80’s the government let Johnson Mathy go to the wall, that would be the end of any fiscal thievery, as the banks would have realised that magic money trees were simply the fantasy of Governments.
Game of Thrones’ Sex And Nudity: The Complete Collection
Except if your years of pension saving went down with the Equitable Life. Then Prime Minister Blair said that no Government action was needed, despite useless auditing and dodgy accounts, because it was only middle class people saving to top up their state pensions.

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
Just read his Wiki.
Sounds like a Tory but with the weakest of moral compasses.
Let him fade into oblivion at the next GE.
After he teamed up with Yvette Cooper to thwart Brexit I will take more direct action than that.

There's a BIG difference between your average RM officer and your average green-beret wearing army officer.

I'll take the RM every time, at least up to captain.
Having had a bit to do with 29 (mainly 148 and elsewhere), a very small amount to do with 24 and regular Naval Service amount to do with RMs, I’d submit that most of them believe their own propaganda. In particular regarding the invincibility of a Green Beret, and that no cuff too tuff is a suitable planning technique.

Against that, they tend to be entirely loyal, hard working and fun (as long as you get them to keep their clothes on). They also care deeply about their team.

Not good timing by Mercer: he upset some Conservatives two weeks ago over the Scruton business. He immediately jumped on the 'Scruton should resign' bandwagon and, when it turned out that the journalist interviewing Scruton had selectively quoted him, he took over a week to issue an 'apology' and it was a weak, self-serving, one at that. It hasn't gone down very well with Conservative supporters.
He has been wishy washy over Brexit too - in short not seeming a leader in a political sense.
This latest news takes the biscuit. His judgment seems very, very poor. And at a time when public faith in MPs is at rock bottom. He should go.
Very poor judgement in his part of the New Statesman affair, and a godawful, self-serving 'apology' in the Spectator. Not a man to be trusted.

Very poor judgement in his part of the New Statesman affair, and a godawful, self-serving 'apology' in the Spectator. Not a man to be trusted.
Agreed. The Spectator article was dreadful.The part about interrupting a family break to speak to ungrateful party members was embarassing.

Thanks for that. I for one are heartily sick and fed up of people who whenever their investment goes tits up assume that the Government and its Magic money tree is coming to bail them out. And it’s not like it’s anything new. When Sipra embezzlled the Johnson Mathy Bank back in the 80’s, out of £750m there was one almighty row about what was the government going to do about the shareholders? Instead of using the word nothing, the dozy Pratt’s bailed them out. Thus setting a trend when Banks went tits up mainly due to the incompetence of the directors (who in the main paid nothing in the way of compensation nor went to jail) but let manufacturers go to the wall. A ridiculous attitude which exists to this day aka 2008, when yet again totally down to dishonestly of the banks and the US hubris financial sector, the world teatered on the edge. The solution? Don’t worry the dozy fooking governments will bail you out.
Thus once again showing that when it comes to finance and governments, the financial sector will shaft the taxpayer whilst keeping all their thieving gains. If back in the 80’s the government let Johnson Mathy go to the wall, that would be the end of any fiscal thievery, as the banks would have realised that magic money trees were simply the fantasy of Governments.
Game of Thrones’ Sex And Nudity: The Complete Collection
Who deregulated the financial markets?

He's a non-exec director for a company which trains veterans and tries to find them work. People are upset because this company is in turn owned by another who has run into a scandal.

its corporate sins of the father logic.

are people just upset because he's managed to get a well paying job they dont think he's qualified for? or is it because they dont think MP's should have a second income (something i can understand but dont agree with the logic)?

its a nothing they are trying to turn into something in order to pad out the news day
Its high time our MPs are paid a significant wage for a full time job representing those who elected them. The Job Description should also require a minimum set of competencies required for acceptance as a candidate and no second jobs, no lobbying for the private sector and no family or friends on the payroll.