Johnny Mercer chancer or good egg

Ursus Major

Old-Salt
My recollection is he wised up on that one pretty quickly, and recanted.
Only because he got called out; a decent person with a minuscule scrap of conscience wouldn’t have acted in that despicable manner in the first place. My initial judgement still stands. Hyena ain’t in it... Ditto Turgendhat....

Sarastro

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
@Ursus Major & @Victorian_Major

Twats like you are why this country has ungovernable, bargain basement politics. I say the following giving you the benefit of the doubt that, at one point, you were actual soldiers and not just the culture war hangers on that increasingly seem to populate the site.

For twenty years, this site - and I'll bet I could find plenty of posts from at least V_M saying the same - complains, fairly, that politicians neither understand nor care about the military. So two ex-officers stand for and become MPs. One of them - Mercer - quickly and overtly demonstrates a complete lack of political careerism by making enemies with the govt and senior ministers, over veterans issues no less. He pushes the govt to kill one of the least popular and arguably most unjust anti-military policies in recent times, and succeeds. He then - as again many posters on here always demand - resigns as junior minister when a similar policy is pushed through. On the "politicians behaving as we asked" scale, he probably scores as highly as anyone in living memory.

Then he says the wrong thing, and despite immediately apologising, you two hyenas go for the corpse. If you demand absolute purity from your politicians, you will only get liars. If you blast every mistake, you will only get cowards. Have a bit of ******* sense and maturity and understand when someone is trying to do the right thing, flawed though they may be. What do you think is the lesson the next person who considers following that route will take? "Try to actually represent the military in the way they want, and they'll turn on you regardless the first time you tweet the wrong thing". And we wonder why so few politicians understand or care about soldiers? How exactly are you different to the left-wing Puritans who try to defenestrate anyone who says a word they disagree with?

You are idiots and ingrates, and you should be utterly ashamed of your behaviour. You certainly don't speak for me, or I suspect for many of my generation (you know, the one that did actual soldiering). It's a pity journalists still pay attention on here, because I'll bet Mercer speaks for a lot more soldiers than you bag of cnuts.

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer

Twats like you are why this country has ungovernable, bargain basement politics. I say the following giving you the benefit of the doubt that, at one point, you were actual soldiers and not just the culture war hangers on that increasingly seem to populate the site.

For twenty years, this site - and I'll bet I could find plenty of posts from at least V_M saying the same - complains, fairly, that politicians neither understand nor care about the military. So two ex-officers stand for and become MPs. One of them - Mercer - quickly and overtly demonstrates a complete lack of political careerism by making enemies with the govt and senior ministers, over veterans issues no less. He pushes the govt to kill one of the least popular and arguably most unjust anti-military policies in recent times, and succeeds. He then - as again many posters on here always demand - resigns as junior minister when a similar policy is pushed through. On the "politicians behaving as we asked" scale, he probably scores as highly as anyone in living memory.

Then he says the wrong thing, and despite immediately apologising, you two hyenas go for the corpse. If you demand absolute purity from your politicians, you will only get liars. If you blast every mistake, you will only get cowards. Have a bit of ******* sense and maturity and understand when someone is trying to do the right thing, flawed though they may be. What do you think is the lesson the next person who considers following that route will take? "Try to actually represent the military in the way they want, and they'll turn on you regardless the first time you tweet the wrong thing". And we wonder why so few politicians understand or care about soldiers? How exactly are you different to the left-wing Puritans who try to defenestrate anyone who says a word they disagree with?

You are idiots and ingrates, and you should be utterly ashamed of your behaviour. You certainly don't speak for me, or I suspect for many of my generation (you know, the one that did actual soldiering). It's a pity journalists still pay attention on here, because I'll bet Mercer speaks for a lot more soldiers than you bag of cnuts.
as an example of teddy in the corner, that's epic.

True as well.

Glad_its_all_over

ADC
Book Reviewer
I've been watching this thread and not commenting as it developed, but it does seem to me that the only real offence your man Mercer committed was in displaying stunning political naivite, in that he expected some scrap of loyalty or solidarity from his colleagues. It's always hard for anyone coming from the military to grasp that civilian life works slightly differently and politics is an extreme edge case - there is no loyalty, there is no solidarity and the Opposition is just that, while the enemy is your own side.

Good luck to JM and good luck to his successor; they didn't/won't achieve very much as 'there are no votes in defence' and, however individuals may feel about the defence and Service issues, they don't loom large in political calculation and the PM and those around him will always throw them under the bus in order to secure some other fractional advantage.

For what it's worth, JM seemed to me to be an unusually bright but otherwise typical Gunner Commando officer, nice enough bloke, but hopelessly naive.

Well said Mucker, it’s really fcuking annoying when ingrates jump on a small mistake and behave as if the person had committed a cardinal sin.
You two, if you didn’t serve get off this site! If you did, you should be ashamed of yourselves! JM was only trying to do the best he can for his Brothers and Sisters in Arm’s and for that reason he gets my total respect! He’s only Human.

DSJ

LE
I've been watching this thread and not commenting as it developed, but it does seem to me that the only real offence your man Mercer committed was in displaying stunning political naivite, in that he expected some scrap of loyalty or solidarity from his colleagues. It's always hard for anyone coming from the military to grasp that civilian life works slightly differently and politics is an extreme edge case - there is no loyalty, there is no solidarity and the Opposition is just that, while the enemy is your own side.

Good luck to JM and good luck to his successor; they didn't/won't achieve very much as 'there are no votes in defence' and, however individuals may feel about the defence and Service issues, they don't loom large in political calculation and the PM and those around him will always throw them under the bus in order to secure some other fractional advantage.

For what it's worth, JM seemed to me to be an unusually bright but otherwise typical Gunner Commando officer, nice enough bloke, but hopelessly naive.

I agree with you on the naivite - it's refreshing to see someone who was not, at the time, a career politician setting out his stall - and he achieved great things given that the Tory party did precisely f*ck-all to help him when he was running for office the first time round. On the second time the Tories realised what an asset he could be/their vote margin could be increased and actually pulled their finger out to help him.

Nonetheless, his treatment of Roger Scruton and the subsequent rather churlish non-apology (which, as noted by a previous ARRSer, appears to have been somewhat forced out of him) was poor and, as a non-career politician, I would have hoped to have seen rather more considered behaviour from him in this matter before throwing someone to the wolves.

Over the last year or so he's appeared on Twitter effing and blinding and behaving at times in a rather unparliamentary manner. For the avoidance of all doubt, I'm neither offended nor looking to hold him to higher standards than anyone else in the HoC, rather noting some "conduct unbecoming".

All in, he's not the great white hope that some would have wished for, but not the worst. Naivety and some poor decision-making.

Thank you for that charge, with bayonet fixed, in full-throated mode !

I also have held my typing fingers on this one, to date.

I was ‘over there’ a week ago, and had supper with a friend who is closely involved in these matters (ex-cavalry, but a good fella all the same).

He had high praise for the ongoing contribution of JM.

Ironically, given what you have written, he also - almost as an afterthought - said something about old soldiers being very hard to please.

Loving the fact that I’m apparently an old soldier, given the stink of BAOR wee and tired HQ dross on this site. Want to compare which of us has seen bigger tigers? Really?

As for going for the corpse, hopefully I’m on record for going at Mercer before the terminal blow he did/didn’t/did self inflict on himself. He was just another Tory lickspittle with malleable principles whose slow disillusionment with politics isn’t a de facto act of merit or expiation, it just shows him as naive.

Mercer was in the Johnson gov’t for long enough to know what standards he was aligning to and which he was turning a blind eye to. If you make capital of being an ex officer, expect those standards to follow you.

My comments stand.

But hey, spectacular rise on a Monday night. Well done.

Latest Threads