Johnny Mercer Appointed As New Defence Minister

He was a lightweight, who failed to grasp the realities of our legal system. BoJo does not make the decisions on who to prosecute, rather the CPS. If people have acted ultra vires (and I mean by a long way) in the Province then they should be held to account. I don't think many of us have an issue with this, we all signed up post Nurnberg!
As for it being a grenade, it's more a small pebble in a very large sea. Will be chip wrapper fodder tomorrow, and next month people will be asking who was he.
A fate he deserves. His voting record wasn't that of a morally conflicted, cerebral or compassionate Tory.

He went to Sandhurst where one of the many mantras is 'the standard you walk past is the standard you accept'.

Mercer walked past a lot of shit looking the other way.

I can't get all that excited about his red line either; if you did silly shit in NI then the rule of law requires that you answer for it.

As for it being a grenade, it's more a small pebble in a very large sea. Will be chip wrapper fodder tomorrow, and next month people will be asking who was he.

The majority of the public were more interested in a cop trial in the USA and where football teams might be playing.

I can't get all that excited about his red line either; if you did silly shit in NI then the rule of law requires that you answer for it.

Even if you are an hero veteran? You'll be lynched on here.

He was a lightweight, who failed to grasp the realities of our legal system. BoJo does not make the decisions on who to prosecute, rather the CPS. If people have acted ultra vires (and I mean by a long way) in the Province then they should be held to account. I don't think many of us have an issue with this, we all signed up post Nurnberg!
Not sure that is either correct or true. He made a serious stand for Veterans when so many MPs loitered in the shadows and did diddly squat!
As to the new incumbent, I do hope Leo doesn't fall into line with his new boss another ex Jock Guard, but hold the line of looking after the broad vision of Veteran care and that includes the NI veterans.
And as to chip paper, JM will be a pain in the front benches back ends - and I am sure he will not pull his punches.

Caecilius

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
He was a lightweight, who failed to grasp the realities of our legal system

Quite. He was given the job because he wouldn't shut up about prosecutions on the backbenches so they put him in charge of solving that intractable problem. Now he's discovered that it's not actually that easy to grant immunity from prosecution, he's heading back in a huff.

I imagine he'll stand down from Parliament at the next GE.

Quite. He was given the job because he wouldn't shut up about prosecutions on the backbenches so they put him in charge of solving that intractable problem. Now he's discovered that it's not actually that easy to grant immunity from prosecution, he's heading back in a huff.

Oh, I don't know, it seemed to work for the IRA. :x

I think your right, no point hanging around if you have lost the faith. sadly many stick with the gravy train and then come unstuck - after all lobbying is such a lucrative pastime until it comes home to bite you!
Paddy Mercer and DC can vouch for that.

Well, he's demonstrated a good ability to delegate and get things done, as evidenced by his term in London which was surprisingly successful. He is also a very long time politician, with a deep understanding of how the Westminster system works.....both good and bad.

Mercer is a neophyte with a chip. He will doubtless deal with the historic prosecutions matter, as I suspect it would have ben a condition precedent to his accepting the role. It's an ideal distraction for the "system" to play the new guy to its advantage. I don't think his mind works well in that environment, at least from the little I've seen. He's the oil to their water. It won't end well.
Your opinion is vindicated, I believe.

Well the ranging shots are sailing down range!

Tory MP Johnny Mercer who was 'forced' to resign as a defence minister, over the treatment of veterans who served in Northern Ireland CREDIT: Geoff Pugh/The Telegraph
Johnny Mercer, the sacked Defence Minister, has accused Boris Johnson of surrounding himself with “cowards” and “desperately weak” advisers who had “betrayed” veterans of the Northern Ireland conflict.
In an exclusive interview with The Telegraph, Mr Mercer launched an excoriating attack on Mr Johnson’s administration, claiming his experience during two years as Veterans’ Minister had been “horrific”.
He said he had been treated “like s*** throughout”.
Mr Mercer, 39, a former captain in the Army, had told Downing Street out of courtesy of his intention to resign over his frustration at the Government’s failure to offer legal protection to ex-soldiers facing prosecution over killings during the Troubles.
But instead, he says Number 10 leaked his planned resignation, and then sacked him by text message.
He said the prosecution of veterans, many in their 70s and 80s over events as long as 50 years ago, was a “huge scandal” and an “appalling betrayal” for a Government that had failed to stop it.

On Monday two soldiers (identified only as A and C) will go on trial charged with the murder of Joe McCann, a former official IRA commander who died in Belfast in 1972.
Mr Mercer told The Telegraph that he repeatedly came up against obstacles to attempts he made to try to offer protection from prosecution to the troops who served in Northern Ireland.
A separate Bill, which does give protection from prosecution to servicemen and women in overseas conflicts, is being shepherded through parliament. But Northern Ireland veterans are excluded from the Overseas Operations Bill.
Mr Mercer said: “This is not about justice. It is about a group of lawyers and average politicians sucking at a firehouse of public money, trashing veterans in the process and dragging out the grief for the families.
Tory MP Johnny Mercer who was forced to resign as a defence minister, by number 10, over the treatment of veterans who served in Northern Ireland.

Tory MP Johnny Mercer won his seat from labour in 2015 and had grown his majority to almost 13,000 at the last election CREDIT: Geoff Pugh for The Telegraph
“It’s the sort of thing the Boris Johnson I know stands up against. But leadership is all about who you surround yourself with. If you surround yourself with desperately weak people who will endlessly tell you what you want to hear, driven by Spads [special advisers] who have that classic combination of over-confidence blended perfectly with total ineptitude, you will get surprises.”
He said the problem the Government had was it had promised “things to people who have already been discarded by a country they fought for”, adding: “It is almost worse than not saying anything in the first place and carrying on as if this problem did not exist.
“That has been the approach for years now – essentially the political calculation is that veterans won’t say much, Northern Ireland is a tinderbox, and it’s not worth the grief.
“Well I have always made it clear that I will do whatever it takes to make people care about these people, care as much about them as we do about statues, Brexit, football and everything else.”
Mr Mercer, a popular MP who won his seat from labour in 2015, and had grown his majority to almost 13,000 at the last election, said: “For me it’s a huge scandal, up there with contaminated blood and Windrush. Imagine if it was your dad, your uncle, reliving all this stuff they have already been tried for, vulnerable already in their 70s and 80s. It is an appalling betrayal.”
He complained of the inertia to act and bring in legislation to protect troops.
“The arguments against doing anything are nonsense made by people with deficient backbones who do not understand the intricacies of the problem,” he said.
Mr Mercer recognised the need for soldiers “who commit a crime in uniform to be held to account” and said that was irrespective of the time that had passed. But he believes troops who served in Northern Ireland had been investigated at the time and were being unfairly picked on.
He said his experiences as a minister had made him determined to resign. But even that was wrecked by Downing Street, when he went to inform them out of courtesy.
He said: “My experience in Government has been horrific, but I’m not going to tell tales out of school. I want to get this issue [of protecting veterans] over the line. It’s safe to say I felt like I was treated like s*** throughout, and the last act of leaking my resignation which I sent as a courtesy only to No10 so that I didn’t ambush them, was a huge mistake. Any goodwill was lost.
“And then when I refused to resign I challenged the Chief Whip to look me in the eye and sack me. He couldn’t do it, I left and he texted me. That summed it up. What cowards.”
He went on: “I was fired because I made it clear I was not prepared to parrot the lines from the Northern Ireland office any further. They’ve made me look ridiculous. We will walk through legislation in line with your bill; we will deliver within a hundred days; we will deliver by the summer.
“We will deliver by Christmas. It’s like a skit. They must think I’m stupid. Maybe I am. But the country is not, and at the maturity of the Overseas Operations Bill with nothing forthcoming I had to go

Well the ranging shots are sailing down range!

Tory MP Johnny Mercer who was 'forced' to resign as a defence minister, over the treatment of veterans who served in Northern Ireland CREDIT: Geoff Pugh/The Telegraph
Johnny Mercer, the sacked Defence Minister, has accused Boris Johnson of surrounding himself with “cowards” and “desperately weak” advisers who had “betrayed” veterans of the Northern Ireland conflict.
In an exclusive interview with The Telegraph, Mr Mercer launched an excoriating attack on Mr Johnson’s administration, claiming his experience during two years as Veterans’ Minister had been “horrific”.
He said he had been treated “like s*** throughout”.
Mr Mercer, 39, a former captain in the Army, had told Downing Street out of courtesy of his intention to resign over his frustration at the Government’s failure to offer legal protection to ex-soldiers facing prosecution over killings during the Troubles.
But instead, he says Number 10 leaked his planned resignation, and then sacked him by text message.
He said the prosecution of veterans, many in their 70s and 80s over events as long as 50 years ago, was a “huge scandal” and an “appalling betrayal” for a Government that had failed to stop it.

On Monday two soldiers (identified only as A and C) will go on trial charged with the murder of Joe McCann, a former official IRA commander who died in Belfast in 1972.
Mr Mercer told The Telegraph that he repeatedly came up against obstacles to attempts he made to try to offer protection from prosecution to the troops who served in Northern Ireland.
A separate Bill, which does give protection from prosecution to servicemen and women in overseas conflicts, is being shepherded through parliament. But Northern Ireland veterans are excluded from the Overseas Operations Bill.
Mr Mercer said: “This is not about justice. It is about a group of lawyers and average politicians sucking at a firehouse of public money, trashing veterans in the process and dragging out the grief for the families.
Tory MP Johnny Mercer who was forced to resign as a defence minister, by number 10, over the treatment of veterans who served in Northern Ireland.

Tory MP Johnny Mercer won his seat from labour in 2015 and had grown his majority to almost 13,000 at the last election CREDIT: Geoff Pugh for The Telegraph
“It’s the sort of thing the Boris Johnson I know stands up against. But leadership is all about who you surround yourself with. If you surround yourself with desperately weak people who will endlessly tell you what you want to hear, driven by Spads [special advisers] who have that classic combination of over-confidence blended perfectly with total ineptitude, you will get surprises.”
He said the problem the Government had was it had promised “things to people who have already been discarded by a country they fought for”, adding: “It is almost worse than not saying anything in the first place and carrying on as if this problem did not exist.
“That has been the approach for years now – essentially the political calculation is that veterans won’t say much, Northern Ireland is a tinderbox, and it’s not worth the grief.
“Well I have always made it clear that I will do whatever it takes to make people care about these people, care as much about them as we do about statues, Brexit, football and everything else.”
Mr Mercer, a popular MP who won his seat from labour in 2015, and had grown his majority to almost 13,000 at the last election, said: “For me it’s a huge scandal, up there with contaminated blood and Windrush. Imagine if it was your dad, your uncle, reliving all this stuff they have already been tried for, vulnerable already in their 70s and 80s. It is an appalling betrayal.”
He complained of the inertia to act and bring in legislation to protect troops.
“The arguments against doing anything are nonsense made by people with deficient backbones who do not understand the intricacies of the problem,” he said.
Mr Mercer recognised the need for soldiers “who commit a crime in uniform to be held to account” and said that was irrespective of the time that had passed. But he believes troops who served in Northern Ireland had been investigated at the time and were being unfairly picked on.
He said his experiences as a minister had made him determined to resign. But even that was wrecked by Downing Street, when he went to inform them out of courtesy.
He said: “My experience in Government has been horrific, but I’m not going to tell tales out of school. I want to get this issue [of protecting veterans] over the line. It’s safe to say I felt like I was treated like s*** throughout, and the last act of leaking my resignation which I sent as a courtesy only to No10 so that I didn’t ambush them, was a huge mistake. Any goodwill was lost.
“And then when I refused to resign I challenged the Chief Whip to look me in the eye and sack me. He couldn’t do it, I left and he texted me. That summed it up. What cowards.”
He went on: “I was fired because I made it clear I was not prepared to parrot the lines from the Northern Ireland office any further. They’ve made me look ridiculous. We will walk through legislation in line with your bill; we will deliver within a hundred days; we will deliver by the summer.
“We will deliver by Christmas. It’s like a skit. They must think I’m stupid. Maybe I am. But the country is not, and at the maturity of the Overseas Operations Bill with nothing forthcoming I had to go

Good man and well said! :thumleft:

The blokes a knob. You have previously stated you interact with him on a local and forces level. You should maybe tell him he is a bit of a knob, and quite a fair few in Moorview think so too.

He only wheels out the ex-forces hero stuff when he wants to align himself with something already raised and running in the media. When was the last time he actually brought something to the forefront and to wider media attention?
I dunno about the circles you mix / conversate with in Guzz but...I struggle to find anyone with a good word to say about him and... most of the people Im in touch with still in Guzz are never served civvies.
He got voted in by riding the final bow wave of Afghan and the forces still being very popular.
He got on that wave and...did feck all with it though. Bit like catching the Cribbar at Newquay then lying prone all the way in.

WTF is going on with his hair also? He's trying to do a James May...come across all serious but also appeal to the progressives and appear a bit 'edgy'.

Penny Mordaunt would be a far more decent replacemant..on account of...<redacted dit>

Edit> Tenner says he's taking up guitar lessons to explore the James Blunt angle of opportunity.

:)

Last edited:
I'm rather pleased that this minor spat has developed.

At a basic level, it might just give pause to one or two of the Grate Branes in Govt/Con Party circles and remind them that just because Labour and Starmer are really, really crap occasionally someone in your own Matrix will fart just as everything becomes silent.

It's a minor spat and, though Johnny may form an awkward squad of 1 for a while, no one with an ounce of self-regard will join him on the barricades.

In the meantime the usual suspects, lead by the Grrr Bde, will try to whip themselves and anyone else who comes within arms reach into a froth though it will fall under the heading 'Nugatory Effort'.

. . . and now a pause for the trite phrase 'Nothing to see here'.

I'm rather pleased that this minor spat has developed.

At a basic level, it might just give pause to one or two of the Grate Branes in Govt/Con Party circles and remind them that just because Labour and Starmer are really, really crap occasionally someone in your own Matrix will fart just as everything becomes silent.

It's a minor spat and, though Johnny may form an awkward squad of 1 for a while, no one with an ounce of self-regard will join him on the barricades.

In the meantime the usual suspects, lead by the Grrr Bde, will try to whip themselves and anyone else who comes within arms reach into a froth though it will fall under the heading 'Nugatory Effort'.

. . . and now a pause for the trite phrase 'Nothing to see here'.
Boris is guilty of ingratiating Mercer on account of the then public opinion for armed forces that Mercer had aligned himself with.
I refuse to believe Mercer resigned upon priniciple. Either something else up the sleeve or jump before pushed.
*Noted that the reports say he was sacked, but others say he resigned.

Essentially he did feck all apart from say: "I am a war hero and I endorse <whatever>".

I’ve survived so far ;-)
You think so?

We all know about your prosthetic feet with sandals & white socks.

You may well be a hero and lower limb altitude record breaker but...

You've still got bad taste.

Guilty.

"Wheel the guilty bastard in!"

;)

How’s the hangover?

Latest Threads