John Wayne - Could He Act?

John Wayne - Could he act?

• No - He was pants

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes - He but he is still pants

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I've just finished watching Big Jake starring John Wayne, a film that confirms to me that he was a bland over rated actor with little ability to differenciate beween a cowboy, a US Army Colonel and a circus artist. He has a cult following but I don't understand how.

The Big Jake was itself a dire film, a plot where Big Jakes grandson is kidnapped and more than a dozen of his friends and family massacred yet still the film has a feeling of comedy and no show of urgency or emotion from him or his co stars. The scene where he shoots the baddie in the shower and we get to see his figure hugging pantyhose really summed his career up for me!

Am I alone in thinking he was pants?

No, you are not alone Panda, I agree with you profoundly.

The Mrs thinks he is (was) brilliant and my life is plagued with his movies.

I'm astonished by how many older British males revere the guy. My FIL, God rest his soul, and his friends had his entire collection on video and would watch them regularly after toddling unsteadily back from the Con Club.

I was never a fan but it went down the sh!tter for me when I found out his birth name was Marion Morrison.

jarrod248 said:
Shirly was indeed no good as an actor. I am tormented by my yoof and my Dad's insistance of watching his every film.
Lee Van Cleef now he was good.
Precisely jarrod, LVC, Clint, Bronson, Fonda and many others brought so much more to the screen. You could beleive they were bad asses in real life.

Edit to add: He was a fat bastard as well.

Yep, the guy was pants.

Basically he was the same in every role he played - from cowboy to US Marshall to Green Beret Colonel. I could never understand the fascination with him myself.

Now Clint Eastwood as a cowboy on the other hand.....

jarrod248 said:
TankiesYank said:
I'm astonished by how many older British males revere the guy. My FIL, God rest his soul, and his friends had his entire collection on video and would watch them regularly after toddling unsteadily back from the Con Club.

I was never a fan but it went down the sh!tter for me when I found out his birth name was Marion Morrison.
Shirley, Marion, well I knew it was a girls name
You might have been thinking of the wrestler 'Big Daddy' (Shirley Crabtree) who unlike our Marion was fucking excellent.

spasticus said:
John Wayne was very good at playing.....John Wayne. Panda I agree with you on this one,he couldn't act and his films are shite.
I generally found his films to be about 2 hours too long. He loved his trouswers tightly buckled with his gut hanging over, no wonder he walked like he did.

JoseyWales said:
Check out his part in the 1956 film ' The Searchers'. I thought he did fairly well in that one.
I never liked The Searchers tbh.

Ive watched John Wayne movies since I was a kid, parents and grandparents thought he was a god. I enjoyed them but was never a big fan.

His son, also alledgedly an actor, was so wooden he made a pair of clogs look lively.

The Quiet Man is my favourite John Wayne film.

I'd agree about The Searchers and The Quiet Man: Wayne probably came as close as he ever did to being an actor in the first, and wasn't at all bad in the second, either (though the music, scenery and former Provost Marshal of Baghdad, one Victor McLaglen, stole the show for me). Two of Ford's best. But in just about everything else Wayne played Wayne, much as Stewart and Cagney played themselves. Still, I'd rather watch a mediocre JW effort than some of the mindless, obscenity-ridden rubbish that passes for entertainment these days.

Democritus said:
I'd agree about The Searchers and The Quiet Man: Wayne probably came as close as he ever did to being an actor in the first, and wasn't at all bad in the second, either (though the music, scenery and former Provost Marshal of Baghdad, one Victor McLaglen, stole the show for me). Two of Ford's best. But in just about everything else Wayne played Wayne, much as Stewart and Cagney played themselves. Still, I'd rather watch a mediocre JW effort than some of the mindless, obscenity-ridden rubbish that passes for entertainment these days.
As much as I agree with your thoughts, I did think that Jimmy Cagney was extemely talented but that is just my personal opinion.

Democritus said:
Seconded. But I'd add She Wore a Yellow Ribbon to the list as well. :)

Apochryphal story from filming epic (either The Robe, or The Greatest Sory Ever Told) has Wayne playing the Centurion at the foot of the Cross. His line was "Truly, this was the Son of God".Director cuts, approaches Wayne,saying"Duke, that was fine. You just need to emphasise the importance of the moment:try delivering the line with awe".Wayne agrees, and they resume their places. Director;"Action". Wayne; "Awww, Truly this was the Son of God".If it's not true, it should be.

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
could he act? dont know. he was a dab hand at dodging the draft mind. ahem.

LancePrivateJones said:
As much as I agree with your thoughts, I did think that Jimmy Cagney was extemely talented but that is just my personal opinion.
You may well have a point there, LPJ - I could have been a bit harsh on old Jimmy, but it is the gangster roles that stick in my memory. On that subject, can anyone throw any light on something that's been bugging me for donkey's years: a Cagney film (I'm 95% sure) that includes a scene in which Cagney(?) and the Dead End Kids (or similar) are swimming in a tall wooden water tank by a railway track, when some maintenance bloke comes along, opens the c0ck and, without knowing about the activity inside, drains off enough water to leave the swimmers still in drowning depth but unable to reach the rim of the tank. It was really exciting at the time (I was probably aged about nine), but I've never seen it since and for the life of me can't remember the name of the film. Very sorry about hijacking the thread and all that ...

maguire said:
Have you not seen the Green Berets?

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
stacker1 said:
maguire said:
Have you not seen the Green Berets?
I have, which proves he could do comedy I suppose.