John Smeaton

The more I hear about this bloke the better he gets. The stereotypical view would be that a scotsman wouldn't give up his pint for anything. This bloke is donating half the pints bought for him to a forces charity.

Top bloke Nuff said.

http://www.johnsmeaton.com/

700 pints-worth of Smeato’s hard earned stash are to be whisked away and are now going to go to the Erskine charity.

http://www.erskine.org.uk/

BigRed said:
The more I hear about this bloke the better he gets. The stereotypical view would be that a scotsman wouldn't give up his pint for anything. This bloke is donating half the pints bought for him to a forces charity.

Top bloke Nuff said.

http://www.johnsmeaton.com/

700 pints-worth of Smeato’s hard earned stash are to be whisked away and are now going to go to the Erskine charity.

Seconded. Don't know if Big John ever served in the Armed Forces. I suspect he would have made a bloody good soldier.

He should definately recieve something in the next Queen's Honours List. Knighthoods have been earned for far less, IMHO.

Good lad. I'm increasingly impressed by the bloke. MBE anyone? Make him an honourary member of ARRSE at least

oldbaldy

LE
Look out he's back to work:
Even superheroes need their time off, but as of today Scottish travellers can again breathe a sigh of relief.

Four weeks after an eventful cigarette break propelled him into the bosom of a worldwide internet fanbase, via the front page of the Wall Street Journal and praise in the House of Commons, John Smeaton will at last return to work.

Come 2pm today, Mr Smeaton will step back into the breach in his position as a senior ramp assistant at Glasgow Airport, with CNN - the US-based news channel that aired one of his first interviews - even sending a crew back to Scotland to document his return to Airway Handling Ltd.

In the month that has passed since the baggage handler helped overpower a suspect in the foiled terror attack on the Renfrewshire hub last month, Mr Smeaton's life has changed beyond recognition.

From the moment his adrenalin- fuelled Glaswegian patois was broadcast across rolling news channels, Mr Smeaton's uncompromising recount of his actions won him an army of admirers. His blunt remarks rang true with viewers, particularly when he stated: "This is Glasgow - we'll just set aboot ye," and chided one alleged bomber thus: "You're nae hitting the polis mate, there's nae chance."

A website, visited by 500,000 people in its first 48 hours, paid an affectionate - albeit increasingly parodic - tribute. Mr Smeaton was, at one point, hailed as the man so hard that he makes even onions cry.

Visitors to the site even raised £2,100 from people pledging to buy Mr Smeaton a congratulatory pint. He has since donated half the money to Erskine, the charity which cares for injured military veterans, and will use the rest to fund a night out for other people involved in thwarting the bombing attempt.

As the media clamour increased, Mr Smeaton has, however, found it difficult to cope with all that has happened to him. Diagnosed by his GP as suffering from stress, he has said he cannot stop thinking "of that guy covered in flames with his skin hanging off".

His unexpected fame, has brought benefits, however. He seldom has had to put his hand in his pocket while in a public house, and he has been signed up by the tabloid press to tell his story.

In recent weeks, Mr Smeaton has even had the opportunity to meet Billy Connolly, during which the comedian rebuffed Mr Smeaton's claims that he was the baggage handler's hero, insisting that the reverse was true.

Even now that he is returning to work, however, Mr Smeaton, who lives with his parents in Erskine, Renfrewshire, can still expect high-profile company. Next month, he will be invited to an official reception in Glasgow hosted by the First Minister, Alex Salmond.

The folk hero is, furthermore, tipped for a place on the New Year's Honours List.
http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/scotland.cfm?id=1183852007

I hope it doesn't overwhelm him too much, once the media hype dies down, he will be going be back to his normal life with a bump.
Personally I think he would need somebody like Max Clifford to advise him how to deal with fame and use any money to set himself up for life and finally move out of his Parents house, get a few Holiday to get away from it all for a bit and find some purpose to his life after all this, he may go back to his old job but it won't be quite the same.

good luck to the Guy , he sounds he is halfway there to dealing with it.

John has my utmost respect, not only for what he did on the day, but also for his heartfelt belief that he is nothing more than an ordinary bloke. Far from it.

oldbaldy

LE
muzzleflash said:
John has my utmost respect, not only for what he did on the day, but also for his heartfelt belief that he is nothing more than an ordinary bloke. Far from it.
And he donated a lot of what was collected for him to the Erskine

John is a big Rangers fan and was a guest of honour at Ibrox last Saturday for the friendly against Chelsea,took a wave from the centre circle before the game and was played off to Rule Britannia :D :D

john197014 said:
John is a big Rangers fan and was a guest of honour at Ibrox last Saturday for the friendly against Chelsea,took a wave from the centre circle before the game and was played off to Rule Britannia :D :D
Top bloke :D

Lets see if the state actually award him something! He deserves it.

Don't be daft, he DOES deserve it but some overpaid footballer/actor/politition will most likely get it.

Hope someone proves me wrong. :wink:

john197014 said:
Big John's a Hun?! God, I did'nt think it was possible to like this guy anymore than I did already - but I was wrong!

Wha t still amazes me is the premonition by the Kaiser Chiefs in 2005

First verse of I Predict A Riot:

Watching the people get lairy
Is not very pretty I tell thee
Walking through town is quite scary
And not very sensible either
A friend of a friend he got beaten
He looked the wrong way at a policeman
Would never have happened to Smeaton
And old Leodiensian
La-ah-ah, la la lalala la
Ah-ah-ah, la la lalala la

ok, I'll get me coat...

Stick to Moderating the REME site mate your comedy side is sh*te :wink:

Humphrey_De_Tiluel said:
fair one, shame I can't smite you in here...
Love you too HUMPHS :D

please dont spank me when I enter the REME site. 8)