John Profumo dies

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by exile1, Mar 10, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Now here was a honourable politician and cabinet member, in that when caught doing a wrong, [he lied to parliament], resigned and dedicated the rest of his life to charity. RIP

2. Hmm. The fact that he was screwing a woman who was screwing a KGB agent is irrelevant then? God knows how much information the Soviets got through his 'pillow talk'

3. Such a shame that his name became synonomus with scandal. People forget his distinguished war service, and then to dedicate the rest of his life to charity as attonement. It is a pity that politicians today don't have the integrity to act like him when they are caught out.

RIP, sir.

4. ...and an ugly woman as well.

(Joanne Walley Kilmer in the film was better looking)

5. RIP. I echo exile1's sentiments; he took full responsibility for his actions, following a code that our current ministers could do with reminding about. I wonder if his death will throw further spotlight on the inability of the Cabinet to abide by the convention of ministerial responsibility.

6. RIP.

Genleman, patriot, true tory, national hero.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/politics/4792066.stm

Such a pity that there are too few such statesmen nowdays.

7. When she was on trial, I was working on something with the Met. We got good seats in court. Whilst she was not beautiful, she was very attractive.

8. RIP. I'll second Dozybint and exile1 (third, therefore?). Yes, he was an utter, total grade A prat who should have been more careful who he shacked up with. Yes, he lied to Parliament, something that no minister (or anyone else) should ever do. But at least he did the decent thing at the end and spent the rest of his life trying to make up for it.

Unlike the current lot, who appear merely to reach for the dictionary whenever the word 'honour' is mentioned.

Edited for spelling.as eny fule no.

9. RIP

Despite a brief lapse in concentration in 1963, he should be remembered for his war record and his charity work.

10. He reached the rank of Brigadier, show him some respect, we're only human. RIP

11. I agree. He was caught out, but then more than made amends.

Somehow I can't see Mellor, Archer, Aitken, Mandelson, Blunkett, or Blair (when he's finally caught that is) doing the same.

12. We might be only human but we don't all go around sleeping with prostitutes. Er...sorry...high class call girls. I mean - how high class is she to shag a blokes for money?!!

13. My Grandfather served with him In North Africa, said he was a Decent chap and a good soldier

14. Fugly

Fugly LE DirtyBAT

John Profumo was a man of enormous potential, who made a mistake (albeit a big one) but atoned for it completely. Everyone makes a mistake, but very few repay their mistake to society to the level that Profumo did. Although the mistake he made had grave implications, he was enough of a man to accept his punishment and more besides - i belive he repaid his debt to the nation more than tenfold.

RIP.

15. Never served in BAOR then, never done Arnhem, Nijmegen, Detmold, Soest, Paderborn, Berlin, Frankfurt, anywhere where temptation beckons etc, etc, etc, etc :)

A man that made a fcuk up and faced his mistakes, far more honourable than most of the scum that hold the politician title today.

RIP, he screwed up, he did the honourable thing, he repented. If 1/10th of todays politicians had 1/10th of his sense of honour the country would be 10 times better off.