John O Groats to Lands End.

Discussion in 'Sports, Adventure Training and Events' started by Nick78, May 11, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Guys/Girls,

I am planning to cycle from John o'Groats to Lands End and wondered if anyone on the site had done it before and had any tips or experiences they could share with me.

I have looked up loads on the net but still hoped for some thoughts/advice from readers of arrse.

Many thanks!
  2. You should look for a book called "one more kilometer and we're in the showers" by Tim Hilton. Its got a chapter in it about the long ride. Apparently the first guys who did it in 1880 did it on penny farthings in 13 days.

Go for it mate.
  3. My advice would be to get a comfy seat!

Otherwise, you will be walking like John Wayne for the next couple of weeks (and your fertility will temporarily drop 8O )

4. Fang_Farrier

Fang_Farrier LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

5. Someone I know did it in 12 days last year. He would, I suspect, be quite happy to talk to you about it. Are you on the wonder that is DII? If so, I will PM you his contact details and you can mail him.
  6. someones doing it on a stakeboard at the moment
  7. Thanks for all these replies. Student_Grant, I shall look for the book, thanks, and Pompey Sailor, I am not sure what DII is to be honest. Let me have a think how best to get my details to you, I would be most grateful for a chat with your mate. Fang Farrier, I like the Orkney idea, its an origional way of doing the entire journey proparly.

thanks again to everyone!
  8. PMd you with the details of bloke who's done it already - give him a ring or a letter.

DII is the new intranet.....
  9. Yiour not kidding!!!!!! just finished it last week done it on my 1961 Lambretta arrse is still numb :wink: oh and dont forget some good water proofs and the duelling banjo's tune once you get up past Dingwall this site might be of use
  10. Don't forget to do it naked!
  11. Thanks to everyone for their replies. I have decided to raise money now for Combat Stress whilst doing the ride. There is a message in the charity section which explains it all. Cheers,

12. A distant associate of mine Richard Brown holds the running record (10 days 2.5 hours I think) and his wife Sandra the ladies running record (about 12 days). In '95 I ran 6hrs 55 mins for 100km (62.2 miles) and was in good shape. I spoke with Richard as I wanted to attempt sub 10 days. His advice was sound but I never attempted the record unfortunately. I do remember a few things he said that may be of use. Each county Police Constabulary will need to be approached for authority given if any organised cycling/running is to take place on major roads/dual carriageways. And a back up team in imperative, possible half a dozen willing volunteers if you will be running during the night etc. If you will be taking it more leisurely then B roads and daytime cycling might be better suited. Good luck and let us know how you get on. P.S. If you need any maps email me on and I can provide free from the system.