Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

John Leslie cleared of 'having a go' on a lady's chest.

Sounds like you have some stories to tell and this is the Rumour Service.

It was a blatant lie. Why would anyone in their right mind consider it a good idea to rub their 'old chap' around the 'Politics Live' mugs?

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
At any time Johnsson could have publicly stated that Leslie was not responsible but she chose not to do so. I suspect that this was to keep the interest in her book going - but it may have been because something happened but not as she described.

Although he was never charged with this alleged offence - he was charged with another case of rape and assault but was acquitted in 2003 after the accuser changed her mind.
Just picking upon these bits (no pun intended) and adding comment.

Johnsson's behaviour was deplorable - she should have either been made to stand by her insinuations or back away from them. In that instance, Leslie was effectively branded and found guilty without ever appearing in a court of law. He lost his reputation and his career. Whether that was/is deserved remains a matter of conjecture.

Re. the woman 'changing her mind': I'd suggest that a woman would be pretty certain as to whether she'd been raped or not.

A mate of a mate is a senior copper and has been on his police force's sex crimes team for many years. He once made the point that he has to deal with dreary regularity with regretted sex - some girl gets drunk, decides in the morning that she shouldn't have scratched that itch, and goes to the police. But, once an allegation has been made it's then very difficult to admit having stretched the truth, or having lied, so a lot of cases go far further than they should because some silly cow thinks she has to save face.

Of course, having said that makes me a rape apologist or some such.

The predators simply adopt new tactics and women are at least as predatory as men. The BBC may have a robust whistle-blowing structure but I suspect that few people with any experience of that organisation would be foolish enough to use it unless the offender was a demonstrably toxic male from central casting.
It is used - and it's anonymous.

He'd have a bit of a job touching Ulrika's now, unless he is still supple enough to get that low down.

I would (not without her consent obviously)

ulri kak.jpeg

Whatever your views on John Leslie, I believe he needs to be commended for at least getting a good old fashioned sex pest case into the News - beats Covid, Brexit and BLM any day!
I would also like to thank the OP for the thread, the mention of Abbie Titmuss and Google in that order. Made my day.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
Whatever your views on John Leslie, I believe he needs to be commended for at least getting a good old fashioned sex pest case into the News - beats Covid, Brexit and BLM any day!
I would also like to thank the OP for the thread, the mention of Abbie Titmus and Google in that order. Made my day.
Sterling post, sir, sterling post.

You seem to suggest that, with the exception of Mr Leslie, that that's not too hard to come by (as it were).

:-D

She was married to a cameraman (who I've subsequently met) in the 90s. In 1994 The Sun published a lovely shot of her walking on the Kings Road. Entitled 'Ulrika and Cameraman Hubby, hand in hand'

They were half right - he was a cameraman just not the one married to Ulrika.

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
It is used - and it's anonymous.

So, it seems, are the outcomes... ;-)

The film/TV trade has always thrown the odd minnow under the bus to protect the talent. Given all that's gone on down the years, how many have actually faced the music and how many of those were past their sell by date when they were collared?

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
So, it seems, are the outcomes... ;-)

The film/TV trade has always thrown the odd minnow under the bus to protect the talent. Given all that's gone on down the years, how many have actually faced the music and how many of those were past their sell by date when they were collared?
Quite. A good friend was close to the DLT case. Apparently, not a fair outcome for the bearded one.

Chef

LE
There is at the BBC a comprehensive structure for anonymous whistle blowing that deters inappropriate behaviour. It is however, open to 'abuse' by troublemakers and some of the more fanciful accusations against certain cameramen at BBC Millbank are treated with the contempt they deserve.

Serious question was the comprehensive structure put in place after Saville?

I recall Esther Rantzen bewailing the fact that people suspected all was not well with Saville. Her excuse for doing little or nothing seemed to be that Saville was very powerful in the BBC at the time.

Conveniently forgetting that she was one of the top female stars at the time, 'That's life' was on and was also having an affair with Desmond Wilcox, one of the more senior figures in the BBC at the time.

As for John Leslie his best bet would have been to come out straight away. He could have run with that for ages.

Serious question was the comprehensive structure put in place after Saville?

I recall Esther Rantzen bewailing the fact that people suspected all was not well with Saville. Her excuse for doing little or nothing seemed to be that Saville was very powerful in the BBC at the time.

Conveniently forgetting that she was one of the top female stars at the time, 'That's life' was on and was also having an affair with Desmond Wilcox, one of the more senior figures in the BBC at the time.

As for John Leslie his best bet would have been to come out straight away. He could have run with that for ages.
I don't know TBH. There were some repercussions after Saville but most of the those that allowed his activities to remain unchecked had probably left the BBC. I'm not sure if the 'whistleblowing' line was as a direct result of what had happened.

Latest Threads