John Le Mesurier: It's All Been Rather Lovely

i recorded that - am looking forward to it

Great programme, but here is the spoiler he dies in the end.

i am watching tonight's episode of Dad's Army as I type :)

Great programme, but here is the spoiler he dies in the end.
In his own words, he conked out.

"He died at his Ramsgate home, from a stomach haemorrhage, (caused by cirrhosis) on 15 November 1983, aged 71.[11] He is buried in the churchyard of the Church of St. George the Martyr, Church Hill, Ramsgate. His self-penned death notice in The Times stated that he had "conked out" and that he "sadly misses family and friends"."

Thoroughly nice chap but too nice for his own good , let his wife's boyfriend move in with them !

Comfort TV. Lovely. Anyone see the life story of Hattie Jacques, his wife, last year? Explained the full story of John allowing his wife's lover to move in with them.

Comfort TV. Lovely. Anyone see the life story of Hattie Jacques, his wife, last year? Explained the full story of John allowing his wife's lover to move in with them.
I suffered it when Mrs Danjou insisted , Hattie Jacques was lucky to get any man ,fat munter, he should have kicked her out but he was too nice.

Damn! Can't get BBC iPlayer here in the antipodes. Would've liked to hear. As well as Dad's Army, he did a ad over here I think it was B&H cigarettes in the early 70's.

I second all that has been said above. A very nice, warm man. Kind, a true gentleman and the greatest role ever as Sgt. Wilson.
How bloody clever do you get when you decide to cast an officer as a Sergeant and a WO as an officer to such great effect as in Dad's Army?
For more info on the man, I can very strongly recommend: "Do you think that's wise? ", by Graham McCann.