Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

John le Carre dies, aged 89.

The undoubted king of British spy fiction, John le Carre has died, aged 89.

I would argue that he was one of Britain's best writers, full stop. He just happened to choose espionage as his medium because that was what he knew when he started writing.

He was very good at navigating the various challenges in the evolving threats since WWII, from the Cold War against the Sovs through to the various flavours of international terrorism to new Russian corruption etc.

BBC obituary here: John le Carré: Espionage writer dies aged 89

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
Yes and no. In his prime, the Smiley/Cold War stuff, he was superb. Latterly, everything felt unfinished, like there were a couple of chapters still to go.

Ted Allbeury for comparison.

Nevertheless, RIP.

Nick Robinson made a good comment on Today’s this morning.
He read a tweet from C.
He then pointed out that when John Le Carré was still working for the Service and started to write, ‘we weren’t allowed to know who the Head of MI6 was, and would not have been allowed to read out a message from him’.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Sad to see the death of probably the best British suspense writer. His books are greats and I hope are held up as such over time.

Unfortunately, now that he has died, no doubt we will now get the luvvies re-writing the books to fit their warped agenda, keeping the title and claiming it is 'based on'...... :(.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
Sad to see the death of probably the best British suspense writer. His books are greats and I hope are held up as such over time.

Unfortunately, now that he has died, no doubt we will now get the luvvies re-writing the books to fit their warped agenda, keeping the title and claiming it is 'based on'...... :(.
The BBC's The Night Manager was a somewhat loose adaptation.

Mebbes we'll see John le Carre/Terry Pratchett crossover.

Tinker, Seamstress, Equal Rights, anyone?

Along with Len Deighton, one of my favourite authors.

I intend to watch The Spy Who Came In From The Cold on AP today.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
He lived a couple of doors down from my mum when she was growing up and they were reasonably good friends.

He used to tend to the communal gardens on their road and everyone knew him.

He came in the house one day without knocking and my mum’s dog bit him, tearing his trousers.

My grandmother was mortified and apologised profusely, offering to pay for the trousers.

He wouldn’t hear of it though and came back a few hours later with a letter addressed to the dog, apologising for not knocking and saying that she (the dog) was entirely in the right for biting an intruder.

My mum still has the letter.

A class act.

The BBC's The Night Manager was a somewhat loose adaptation.

Mebbes we'll see John le Carre/Terry Pratchett crossover.

Tinker, Seamstress, Equal Rights, anyone?

It was a loose adaption but was produced by his son's production company, of which he was an exec.

Oh, I enjoyed it - I at least bothered to watch it, unlike the recent thing starring Hugh Laurie where he was playing a Tory MP. It just didn't sit too close to the book.

You lost me there CC.

Do you mean Roadkill?

That was David Hare. not JLC.

Sad to hear of his passing, I agree that the last few books were sub par

A good author is Charles Cumming whose prose is quite realistic

First Big Sean and now Le Carre? 2020's been a rough year for Spooks. Matt Damon and Kiefer Sutherland better watch themselves for the next couple of weeks. ;)

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
You lost me there CC.

Do you mean Roadkill?

That was David Hare. not JLC.
Ah, sorry - I mean that Hugh Laurie played the lead in both. The adaptation of the le Carre book, I watched; the adaptation of Roadkill, I watched the first cliche-ridden episode and never went back.

Latest Threads