John Keegan RIP

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Thai_exile, Aug 3, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Sir John Keegan - Telegraph

I searched Arrse and found quite a few references to John Keegan. As a lecturer in Military History with Brigadier Peter Young at RMAS circa 1968-69, he managed to keep us awake in trying circumstances. That was a great double act!

2. RIP - his Face of Battle & Mask of Command were great pieces of groundbreaking military history writing.
    An interesting gent who was ill-advisedly let loose on an SMC during the first 5 weeks and his thoughts
    on Waterloo followed by the movie were all lost on kipping cadets.
    A regret we all felt in later years.
    Rest Easy to a soldier manque, who did more good with his pen and had a greater reach worldwide
    than he ever could have done with a swagger stick.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Face of Battle is one of the finest books I've read. Highly recommended.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Sad news indeed - Agreed with the above: Face of Battle is a very good and interesting read, I shall dig it out now and read it again. Sat through many of the great man's lectures but sadly can't remember a single one - too busy either sleeping or bulling my shoes.

Rest in Peace, and condolences where applicable.

5. Sad news indeed. He was a decent guy too.

6. Enjoyed many of his books over the years, still have quite a few on the shelf.
    Am certainly sorry I never got to meet him - RIP.

7. Wordsmith

Wordsmith LE Book Reviewer

Along with Richard Holmes some time back, one of the few historians who dug into source material to find the patterns underneath it. A very insightful author. I've got a number of his books - sad to think I won't be adding any more.

Wordsmith

8. The Face of Battle was recommended to me by a senior lecturer and professor of psychology at university... very insightful work .. sorry to hear of the authors death.

9. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

Decent bloke and bloody good writer. Not many of his ilk left now.

10. Taught me at RMAS in '71, a really interesting and knowledgable teacher. Good author too!

11. I too would like to add my regrets at his passing (and for having slept through his lectures)

12. Just heard John's Obit on the radio. I missed the entry first time around..

First Richard Holmes, now John.. another of my heros gone!

RIP

13. I have the books, but like many slept happily at the back of the Churchill Hall for many of his lectures. A sad passing along with Richard Holmes, however there are now two less to comment on my star quality!