John Keegan RIP

Sir John Keegan - Telegraph

I searched Arrse and found quite a few references to John Keegan. As a lecturer in Military History with Brigadier Peter Young at RMAS circa 1968-69, he managed to keep us awake in trying circumstances. That was a great double act!

RIP - his Face of Battle & Mask of Command were great pieces of groundbreaking military history writing.
An interesting gent who was ill-advisedly let loose on an SMC during the first 5 weeks and his thoughts
on Waterloo followed by the movie were all lost on kipping cadets.
A regret we all felt in later years.
Rest Easy to a soldier manque, who did more good with his pen and had a greater reach worldwide
than he ever could have done with a swagger stick.

Face of Battle is one of the finest books I've read. Highly recommended.

Sad news indeed - Agreed with the above: Face of Battle is a very good and interesting read, I shall dig it out now and read it again. Sat through many of the great man's lectures but sadly can't remember a single one - too busy either sleeping or bulling my shoes.

Rest in Peace, and condolences where applicable.

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
Along with Richard Holmes some time back, one of the few historians who dug into source material to find the patterns underneath it. A very insightful author. I've got a number of his books - sad to think I won't be adding any more.

Wordsmith

The Face of Battle was recommended to me by a senior lecturer and professor of psychology at university... very insightful work .. sorry to hear of the authors death.

Taught me at RMAS in '71, a really interesting and knowledgable teacher. Good author too!

I too would like to add my regrets at his passing (and for having slept through his lectures)

Just heard John's Obit on the radio. I missed the entry first time around..

First Richard Holmes, now John.. another of my heros gone!

RIP

I have the books, but like many slept happily at the back of the Churchill Hall for many of his lectures. A sad passing along with Richard Holmes, however there are now two less to comment on my star quality!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
L Current Affairs, News and Analysis 0
Line_Grunt The Intelligence Cell 0
dogmonkey Infantry 11