John H Haynes OBE

Cars?

It’s his big stuff you have to admire.

1549910513681.jpeg

In the spirit of his work the funeral will involve him regressing and disappearing up his mothers chuff, members of the congregation have been requested to pick up all the left over bits and deposit them in the draw at the back of the vestry.

Don't forget the "Men's Pie Manual".

Endorsed by Tom Kerridge, no less.

Have you ever tried using one of those manuals to actually repair a car? :razz:
Yes. I can't now remember the exact task, but I'd glanced at how to do the job, which only took half a page, and I had the tools and spares listed. I should have easily had it completed in my afternoon off. What I didn't spot was that Step 4 was "Remove the engine as described in Chapter 3."

Bugger!

Yes. I can't now remember the exact task, but I'd glanced at how to do the job, which only took half a page, and I had the tools and spares listed. I should have easily had it completed in my afternoon off. What I didn't spot was that Step 4 was "Remove the engine as described in Chapter 3."

Bugger!
The one I have actually refers the reader back to the owner handbook for some information. It is an overpriced soft cover with crap paper and no colour photography.

It purports to cover a car introduced in 2006 and retired in 2014 but of course the car is Trigger's broom. The body shape is essentially the same but the only other commonality is the round wheels.

It's the horror of the latter day Haynes Manual that probably killed Mr Haynes.

No tears from this C/S.

Have you ever tried using one of those manuals to actually repair a car? :razz:

http://messybeast.com/dragonqueen/real-haynes.htm

Yes.

And if I ever buy another Hillman imp I still have the manual.

As an 18 year old it assisted me in changing points, plugs, condenser, water pump, wheel bearings and various sundry other bits and pieces.

The Triumph 1500 manual was similarly helpful when I changed the clutch, plus the usual points, plugs and fuel tank removal and repair, fuel pump diaphragm replacement, servicing the SU carb etc etc.

RIP

They are great - I have one for every car I've ever had - about 50 of them! Wouldnt be without one... you cannot replace everything with Youtube

Me too. But a tightly-cropped black and white photograph of a random location in the engine bay, coupled with phrases like "Refitting is the reverse sequence to removal." can sometimes be exasperating... :wink:

greyfergie

MIA
Book Reviewer
After leaving school he joined the RAF to complete his national service and, while posted to Aden in 1965, he created the first Haynes Manual.

Did not know that - RIP

greyfergie

MIA
Book Reviewer
Me too. But a tightly-cropped black and white photograph of a random location in the engine bay, coupled with phrases like "Refitting is the reverse sequence to removal." can sometimes be exasperating... :wink:
I think the early ones were better - more detailed... They got a bit lazy in the 90's and upwards