John Brunt VC

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by Percy, Mar 7, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I spotted the following article in my local paper about John Brunt VC. It would seem that they are after more information about him. I can't make the link work so paste into your URL. If this does not work then type in www.courier.co.uk and do a search on John Brunt VC.

http://www.courier.co.uk/displayNode.jsp?nodeId=142759&command=displayContent&sourceNode=142742&contentPK=11941431&moduleName=InternalSearch&keyword=John%20Brunt%20VC&formname=sidebarsearch

Tunbridge Wells has ten residents who were awarded the VC add to the one from Maidstone won at Kohima by a RWK soldier does this make West Kent the most VC heavy part of the country?

2. John Brunt VC was one of two VC winners educated at Ellesmere College in Shropshire.

As a pupil In the 1980's I used to pass his painting everyday on my way to the dining room and as I recall he was a pleasant looking bookish kind of bloke. The painting they had was a copy of the John Brunt VC pubsign (or vice versa) and it was displayed with that of the WW1 winner Frederick Harvey (Brigadier Canadian Army D 1980) and a photo of Captain Tom Abraham one of a number of old boys to have fought with the US army in Vietnam (and later to have wrote the controversial book "The Cage".)

I have contacted the OE's club so hopefully some one can assist the people in the article.

Trotsky

3. More details on John Brunt via the VC website:

http://www.victoriacross.net/default.asp

have now been migrated to Wikpedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Henry_Cound_Brunt

John Henry Cound Brunt (VC, MC) was an English recipient of the Victoria Cross, the highest and most prestigious award for gallantry in the face of the enemy that can be awarded to British and Commonwealth forces.

He was 22 years old, and a Temporary Captain in the The Sherwood Foresters (The Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire Regiment), British Army, attd. 6th Bn., The Lincolnshire Regiment during the Second World War when the following deed took place for which he was awarded the VC.

On 9 December 1944 near Faenza, Italy, the house round which Captain Brunt's platoon was dug in, was destroyed by intense mortar fire. The captain, rallying his remaining men and moving to an alternative position, continued to hold the enemy although heavily outnumbered. Personally firing a Bren gun he killed about 14 and then, his ammunition exhausted, he fired a PIAT and 2-in. mortar left by casualties. This aggressive defence enabled him to re-occupy his previous position and to get his wounded away. Later he showed similar aggressive and inspiring leadership which caused the final withdrawal of the enemy.

He was killed in action, Near Faenza, Italy, on 10 December 1944.

Hope this helps.

lancslad