John Bolton set to lose UN job

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Testudo, Nov 10, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Bolton going the way of Rumsfeld?

The US envoy to the UN, John Bolton, looks set to lose his job after the Democrats' victory in mid-term polls.
    Mr Bolton was appointed to the post during a Congressional recess after his nomination stalled in the Senate.

The White House wants Mr Bolton to stay at the UN, but the chances are slim of him being backed by the Senate.

He would become the second high-profile member of President George Bush's team to leave after the polls, following Defence Secretary Donald Rumsfeld.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/6134734.stm

2. I hope he goes! He's a pain in the fückin' arrse. How the US could send somebody as a representative to the UN who always looks like he just drank a pint of milk in one go is a complete mystery to me.

MsG

3. Can't discuss it logically right now. The swelling in my penis is causing insufficient bloodflow to the brain.

Bush has officially asked the outgoing Senate to confirm him. Should it ever get out of the Committee (and Chafee has already said that he won't vote for him) the Democrats will fillibuster (i.e. prevent a vote by just talking until the clock runs out) knowing that the Republicans couldn't get the 60 votes needed to put a stop to it.

4. If Chafee won't do it neither will many other Republicans - their eye is on post Bush now.

5. There simply aren't enough smilies to sum it up. If the Dems can get their act together and start investigating Halliburton, we might even see Cheney roasting on an open fire. Now there IS a wet dream in the making...

This really sums it up

http://www.whitehouse.org/news/2006/11/democratic_thum.asp

6. Top post, smartascarrots! And a reeeally good link! It's highly doubtful whether Bush the Berk has actually comprehended what's happened, but well done!

MsG

7. If anyone's seen John Carpenter's The Thing, John Bolton is the spit of the 'Blair' alien who took a fit early on, smashed up the base's radios, murdered some of his former human colleagues and then built a spacecraft to make a getaway back to his home planet. Maybe Bolton should go for that option also.

[​IMG]

8. Deep deep joy. I will reserve the "Oh happy day" for when he's P45'd out of his gravy train.

This all gets better and better, but I think bigger announcements about US foreign policy towards certain 'allies' bordering the Med may be unfolding too , along the lines of "Get it sorted or else".

9. 'Shopping for' implies they actually want to pay for them as well Fantassin...

They certainly need those aircraft , the Palestinian Air Force is highly capable.

10. If I was cynical, I might say the Israeli's are planning for pre-emptive strikes on nuclear facilities that may well be popping up here and there in local deserts. But I'm not, so I won't.

11. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

What, really, is the difference between the Donkeys and the Elelphants?

They are all politicians and the Septic parties run very close to each other on policy.
    IMHO :twisted:

12. At least we are used to that on this side of the pond.