Oyibo

LE
Yeah i spoke to some of the depot staff and this is the case, 1 PARA is definitely a goal with 3 PARA being the battalion I'd like to join out of Sandhurst but again, it doesn't matter until it's happening
Out of interest, why 3 PARA rather than 2? My experience is that they're pretty much the same - despite protesting to the contrary.

Out of interest, why 3 PARA rather than 2? My experience is that they're pretty much the same - despite protesting to the contrary.
Personal reasons primarily, as i said its all conjecture until you're there so at this stage it's not really important but as it stands I'd choose 3 over 2 primarily because that's the battalion I've read up on the most

Oyibo

LE
Personal reasons primarily, as i said its all conjecture until you're there so at this stage it's not really important but as it stands I'd choose 3 over 2 primarily because that's the battalion I've read up on the most
A fair point. I would just say that all three battalions are equally professional - set your sights on joining the Parachute Regiment whether as an officer or soldier; the battalion is less important than the pride you will have of joining the regiment, and the lifelong friendships your will have after.

I hope it goes well whichever path you take.

I know two PARA Officers who turned down Company Command in 1 PARA because the tempo was not compatible with family life.

Great draft if you're a singly though.

A fair point. I would just say that all three battalions are equally professional - set your sights on joining the Parachute Regiment whether as an officer or soldier; the battalion is less important than the pride you will have of joining the regiment, and the lifelong friendships your will have after.

I hope it goes well whichever path you take.
I am not ex-para, but the above is very sound advice regardless of your chosen career path. Make your mind up, and then commit. It will benefit you, and if you commission, it will please your superiors.
BTW, there is no shame in joining as a private soldier. That’s where the soldiering is at.
Good luck, whatever your choice is.

My three choices at sandhurst would be Paras, Lancers (local regiment) and Royal Artillery (7RHA would be ideal) but again, I'm set on the regiment with the idea of going on to selection in the future, but it's all conjecture till you're there as I've found out up to now; P Coy beat up is gopping.

Can you elaborate on the reputation is everything and how you can get held back by single mistakes?
No one remembers when you do your job properly and everything run's smoothly................., but everyone remembers that one time you cock up, forever. It also does not help if you have the reputation of being the last one out of the bar every night, need to be carried back to your bed and puke up in your room. You get the idea?

No one remembers when you do your job properly and everything run's smoothly................., but everyone remembers that one time you cock up, forever. It also does not help if you have the reputation of being the last one out of the bar every night, need to be carried back to your bed and puke up in your room. You get the idea?
Can I also add to what @Effendi says. To go from Tom to officer you need the chain of commands support and they will be reviewing your current and past performance in your unit including asking the NCOs what they think so too many **** ups (including socially . . . . . last to leave bar etc) or enemies made will make your chances of even getting a chance at AOSB incrementally harder. Hence "reputation is everything" in that sense.

Fake Sheikh

War Hero
Go for Sandhurst & in 2nd term decide then if you want Para's or someone else.

But competition is very tough, you could always join another regiment or corps, do P company and either serve with a para trained unit or try to transfer across when you have gained good skills as an officer which the paras could utilize.

I was never destined for high command or even SNCO but some officers were wetter than a fish, the good ones do well and move onwards & upwards, but it would be RMAS for me.

Latest Threads