First post on here and looking for advice on transferring from reserve to regulars. I have been offered a place as a joe at para depot but i wasn't sure whether it's worth trying for Sandhurst with the hope of joining the parachute regiment afterwards. I've been informed that Sandhurst is a big risk as the competition for the regiment is so high and I'm not a particularly fast runner (granted this is something easy to improve and I'm already faster than standards require to start at RMAS), I've also been informed that you can apply for a commission at any point after finishing depot and becoming a Tom, can anyone confirm this for me? Lastly i would like to conduct training later in my career as it's something I'm passionate about after having great DS myself I'd want to be able to offer that to future soldiers, long term is an officer role likely to be able to offer that?

If it were me I would go to Sandhurst.

You have plenty of opportunities other than para regt to be in the airborne, you should look at some of those.

You can also apply for SAS, SRR and the commando course.

The problem with going in as a TOm to the para regt is that if you fcuk up just once and it comes to the attention of the wrong people you are stuck.

The Navy SEAL's have an expression: Reputation is everything.

Basically that means that from day one you are on your toes making sure you give 110%, cross all your T's and dot all your i's in everything that you do. Screw it up just once and that is what everyone remembers.

The_Poltroon

Clanker
It looks like you can spell and string a semi coherent sentence together.

You are probably overqualified for a career in the Parachute Regiment.

If it were me I would go to Sandhurst.

You have plenty of opportunities other than para regt to be in the airborne, you should look at some of those.

You can also apply for SAS, SRR and the commando course.

The problem with going in as a TOm to the para regt is that if you fcuk up just once and it comes to the attention of the wrong people you are stuck.

The Navy SEAL's have an expression: Reputation is everything.

Basically that means that from day one you are on your toes making sure you give 110%, cross all your T's and dot all your i's in everything that you do. Screw it up just once and that is what everyone remembers.

My three choices at sandhurst would be Paras, Lancers (local regiment) and Royal Artillery (7RHA would be ideal) but again, I'm set on the regiment with the idea of going on to selection in the future, but it's all conjecture till you're there as I've found out up to now; P Coy beat up is gopping.

Can you elaborate on the reputation is everything and how you can get held back by single mistakes?

AFAIK P Coy has no age limit. It's certainly had blokes pass in their 40s.

windswept398

Old-Salt
If you are 34, it's going to be really tricky I reckon. Consider RAF Reg. The people on here don't have such a high opinion of them but I've seen them on ops, they are mostly ok.

And they have an airborne element.
And they take old people like you.

Hi @Throwaway27 by taking the time to research the differing roles between an Officer and Other Rank will definitely stand you in good stead. The two are very different careers.
If you are questioning what direction to take then take as much advice as possible, try and get some Regimental visits. This is easily doable if you are with an AR unit. With a degree and a modicum of leadership training I would suggest you go for Officer selection.

Don't set your sights low, if you think you have what what it takes then apply for the officer route. As you will be aware its fiercely competitive - Capita notwithstanding! The Parachute Regiment in particular will demand that gold standard and is one of the most competitive choices at Sandhurst and by and large they will only take absolutely top quality candidates. They will only recruit from that top third pool of candidates.
If you bomb officer selection you can go soldier route and if possible try again with some time and experience behind you. But aim high and you need to get your finger out with regards to phys.

Speak with @theduke in relation to officership within Para Reg. He is a former Coy OC 4 PARA. He may be able to help.

Edit to add: I just noted your age, at 34 you are most likely too old to join as an officer. Current army career webpage states the age parameters are 18-29 and over 30s are considered on a case by case basis. If you are permitted then you will be definitely be too old for P-Coy
Thanks for the advice, the age on my profile isn't my actual age; I'm in my mid 20s

Oyibo

LE
My three choices at sandhurst would be Paras, Lancers (local regiment) and Royal Artillery (7RHA would be ideal) but again, I'm set on the regiment with the idea of going on to selection in the future, but it's all conjecture till you're there as I've found out up to now; P Coy beat up is gopping.

Can you elaborate on the reputation is everything and how you can get held back by single mistakes?
My bold - If you join in the ranks and it is known that you are going for a commission some people (a minority thankfully) will make it their sole aim to pick on any and every mistake you inevitably make and use it as proof of why you should not be an officer. In my experience this was fairly limited and most of my peer group when I was a tom wanted to see me succeed - the Parachute Regiment is very egalitarian in that way.

One thing I did find as a downside of joining in the ranks while being a potential officer was that I stood almost zero chance of getting on promotional courses in the ranks. The general attitude being, "if we put you on this course when you might be going to RMAS you are robbing another man of his opportunity".

In my opinion, going straight for the officer route is a far better option. As a young officer it will be more difficult than coming from the ranks, but if you have the qualities required those difficulties will quite rapidly be lost.

(As a caveat, it is a very long time since I was a PARA tom and officer - there may be people here with more current advice.)

Thanks for all the replies, just to clarify, this is a throwaway account so i haven't put my
Strange.

Moving on, Following successful completion of the AOSB candidates are invited to attend a PARA Potential Officers Insight Course (POIC). The POIC is similar to the main board and is run over 5 days at Catterick.
The POIC is designed to assess whether candidates have the potential to serve as an officer in the Parachute Regiment. Candidates are required to undergo a number of physical tests in which they are expected to show both mental and physical robustness, as well as a team task to evaluate their leadership potential. So you really do need to smash the phys.

Also- No P Coy, No Para Regt. It’s an absolute.
Thanks for bringing this up I've not been able to find anything on this before, where's the best place to get more info?

Hi @Throwaway27 by taking the time to research the differing roles between an Officer and Other Rank will definitely stand you in good stead. The two are very different careers.
If you are questioning what direction to take then take as much advice as possible, try and get some Regimental visits. This is easily doable if you are with an AR unit. With a degree and a modicum of leadership training I would suggest you go for Officer selection.

Don't set your sights low, if you think you have what what it takes then apply for the officer route. As you will be aware its fiercely competitive - Capita notwithstanding! The Parachute Regiment in particular will demand that gold standard and is one of the most competitive choices at Sandhurst and by and large they will only take absolutely top quality candidates. They will only recruit from that top third pool of candidates.
If you bomb officer selection you can go soldier route and if possible try again with some time and experience behind you. But aim high and you need to get your finger out with regards to phys.

Speak with @theduke in relation to officership within Para Reg. He is a former Coy OC 4 PARA. He may be able to help.

Edit to add: I just noted your age, at 34 you are most likely too old to join as an officer. Current army career webpage states the age parameters are 18-29 and over 30s are considered on a case by case basis. If you are permitted then you will be definitely be too old for P-Coy
Don't listen to a word this bluffing clown writes. He is a belter of the first order, if you look at this sites SPOTY (Site Penis Of The Year) awards 2019 you will see this jokers name highlighted with big bold coloured letters, it suits his style of crayoning.

Shame it’s not an objective; they are going through a bad patch.
So it appears, though the one’s I know are retired so what I hear is effectively hearsay.

What do you want from life?

currently the paras are not doing lots of tours but do have blokes in SFSG and many go on to pass selection. However, being a Tom in the paras is pretty crap and they are very, very busy doing ex after ex.
It’s the same for officers in their first couple of years but it slows down and RMAS and captain still looks better on a professional CV than pte, parachute regiment.

how long do you want to stay in and what do you want to do when you leave?

What do you want from life?

currently the paras are not doing lots of tours but do have blokes in SFSG and many go on to pass selection. However, being a Tom in the paras is pretty crap and they are very, very busy doing ex after ex.
It’s the same for officers in their first couple of years but it slows down and RMAS and captain still looks better on a professional CV than pte, parachute regiment.

how long do you want to stay in and what do you want to do when you leave?
1 PARA with eyes on SF is my goal however a career in 2 or 3 PARA is something I'd still love, I'm not sure how long I'll want to be in but as far as I'm currently aware and have felt for the last year is that I'd like to be in for the duration

1 PARA with eyes on SF is my goal however a career in 2 or 3 PARA is something I'd still love, I'm not sure how long I'll want to be in but as far as I'm currently aware and have felt for the last year is that I'd like to be in for the duration
a career as a soldier is very different to a career as an officer. There is no easy answer as both can be fulfilling and rewarding but in very different ways. how long yoI want to stay and what you want to do afterwards all have a massive impact on how you shape your career

a career as a soldier is very different to a career as an officer. There is no easy answer as both can be fulfilling and rewarding but in very different ways. how long yoI want to stay and what you want to do afterwards all have a massive impact on how you shape your career
Thanks for the reply, where am I best off looking for long term options as an officer? I'm making my way through a pretty large reading list but I find memoirs only tend to offer depth in one position/one man's experience

Thanks for the reply, where am I best off looking for long term options as an officer? I'm making my way through a pretty large reading list but I find memoirs only tend to offer depth in one position/one man's experience
move jobs every two years, spend time on the staff, working long hours and far removed from soldiers.

however a good foundation for jobs in consultancy firms when you leave.

soldiers can achieve the same, but it requires effort to make the cv match. That said, a crap officer is worse than a great soldier when it comes to employability

I’m sure somebody with first hand experience can confirm but I suspect it is still the case that you will be posted to either 2 or 3 PARA first. I believe they ranks rotate into 1 PARA. I am sure it is possible to go to 1 PARA as a first posting but I’d imagine it would be a rather exceptional case. Relevant language skill for example.
Yeah i spoke to some of the depot staff and this is the case, 1 PARA is definitely a goal with 3 PARA being the battalion I'd like to join out of Sandhurst but again, it doesn't matter until it's happening

Latest Threads