Joe Lieberman to replace Donald (Darth) Rumsfeld????

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Agent_Smith, Aug 10, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Speculation about Joe Lieberman replacing Sec. Rumsfeld is building after Lieberman was dropped by the Democrat party for the upcoming senate elections in November.

Lieberman already turned down president Bush's invitation earlier this year in order to fight for a place in the senate. After the Democrat party snubbing him for holding strong to his views (as opposed to bending his views in order to get elected), he may wish to snub them by taking the over from the questionable current sec. for defence.

Any thoughts from our well informed and intelligent cousins across the pond?
  2. It's the first I've heard about it A_S.

Lieberman, whether you agree with his positions or not, is a very principled guy and would expect his voice to be heard. I have a hard time imagining him agreeing to be brought in as window dressing for the Bush Administration, which in all probability he would be.

Although he agrees with the decision to go to war he has expressed some concerns with its execution. What's perhap more significant though it that he'd be an outsider in what is otherwise a very cohesive group. Normally this is only sustainable if you have your own power base for support. Admittedly, being in charge of the Pentagon would help, but his deputies and assistants would largely remain Rummy's people, or at the very lest, Bush loyalists so I'm not sure how effective that would be, especially since he's had little experience running an organization of anything near that size.
    In such cases the guy in charge needs able and loyal deputies.

Cheney would have him for breakfast.
  3. Besides Lieberman will get even with his pals in the democratic party by running as an independent. :D
  4. T6,
    What on earth can possibly make you think that you fit into this category?
  5. My w.a. guess is that Rummy isn't going anywhere. At least not before he himself decides he wants to move on.

If playing a prominent role in creating disasters and infuriating a lot of people were adjudged sufficient grounds for dumping him he'd have already been dumped.
  6. This strikes me as highly plausible.

My reading of the guy is that he's furious and wants some payback.
  7. Trip_Wire

Trip_Wire RIP

I doubt that this will ever happen. Rummy, will be there, until Bush leaves the White House.
  8. I'm going to have to agree with Trip_Wire. *Shudder*The only way Rummy is leaving is in a black nylon bag, and even then, you'd probably have to prize Cheney away to stop him trying to attach puppet strings a la Weekend at Bernie's.

The simple fact of the matter is that through the miracle of groupthink, they have actually managed to convince themselves that they're doing a good job.
  9. Like what he's doing with Bush? :wink:

I dunno, I'd love to see him there, he'd certainly be better than Rummy. Don't know how the Arabs would take to having a Jew up there though. However, if we get him managing defence, maybe he'll leave videogame developers alone :)
  10. Trip_Wire

Trip_Wire RIP

Actually, I sort of like Joe Lieberman, even though he is basically a Democrat, he closer to the 'Old' school democrats, whom I used to vote for.

IMHO: Anybody, that hasn't ever served in the Armed Forces of this Country, should never be appointed to the position of Secretary of Defense. Joe Liberman as far as I can determine, has not served in the military.

It's really to bad that anyone, can be elected to a public office where he/she has control over the military in any capacity, without having served in the military. But thats just the way I think.

As for President Bush, for all you wanting to jump on his service, etc., because I mentioned this. I'd like to remind you that he went through the USAF pilots training course on active duty and won his pilots wings and was checked out in fighters, were he flew for the Air National Guard (Air Force) This is no easy task.