Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jobs with linguist training included

I've realised rather late that my dream job would be using languages. So, I was excited to see that, at my advanced age of 39, it could be a possibility in the RAF (both sisters served). However, I am recovering from depression. Looking at the medical standards, it's not so much a case of three episodes of depression I had, rather one really long one from the age of 27 to 38...so I'm not going to ask about my chances of getting in.

I wanted to ask if anyone knew of any civilian jobs where language training was part of it? I see the security services can retrain you but you need an exotic language first. In theory, I could go and do a degree in a language (have a love of Chinese having worked there for a bit), but I can't afford to. Or are there any organisations that sponsor language degree students?

I think it's all rather unlikely but I thought you guys would be the most likely to know of anything.

Thanks.

Dark_Nit

LE
Book Reviewer
No civ organisations that I'm aware of, sorry.

One of our team worked for a major chemical company and was sent to Singapore for work. He did a cheap language course in Mandarin before he went and then worked on improving his language skills on the job while he was over there.

Most people involved in jobs with language skills have generally studied to degree level in the language.

Robme

LE
I've realised rather late that my dream job would be using languages. So, I was excited to see that, at my advanced age of 39, it could be a possibility in the RAF (both sisters served). However, I am recovering from depression. Looking at the medical standards, it's not so much a case of three episodes of depression I had, rather one really long one from the age of 27 to 38...so I'm not going to ask about my chances of getting in.

I wanted to ask if anyone knew of any civilian jobs where language training was part of it? I see the security services can retrain you but you need an exotic language first. In theory, I could go and do a degree in a language (have a love of Chinese having worked there for a bit), but I can't afford to. Or are there any organisations that sponsor language degree students?

I think it's all rather unlikely but I thought you guys would be the most likely to know of anything.

Thanks.
Do you have a first degree?
As mature students are most welcome at most universities, Usually with non-standard entry requirements.

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
What about as a tour guide, if you can speak some mandarin or Cantonese, they might take you on and it would improve with use, perhaps get yourself a decent audio course as well

No civ organisations that I'm aware of, sorry.

One of our team worked for a major chemical company and was sent to Singapore for work. He did a cheap language course in Mandarin before he went and then worked on improving his language skills on the job while he was over there.

Most people involved in jobs with language skills have generally studied to degree level in the language.
Most Young Singaporeans speak better English (or Singlish) than they do Mandarin. The same with Malaysian Chinese. A lot use English (or Manglish) as a first language.

Latest Threads