Jobs that transfer to Civvy Police

JockScot

Old-Salt
I am not sure if this has been asked before (Sorry if it has) but I was wondering if anyone knew if roles such as infantry are able to transfer to civvy Police with relative ease or if instead the Police are more looking for people from the different Corps?

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
I would say that thirty years + ago then yes. You could almost transfer from the army to civil police but unfortunately times have changed.

The financial cuts to policing don't help, let alone the way policing has changed over the years. Nowadays the police are very choosy, they can afford to be with their numbers been cut. The police today are looking for people wth degrees. Unfortunatly common sense doesn't come I to it half as much as it should do.
The best advice I can offer is to write a letter to the force/s you are interested in asking them for their recruitment criteria. Remember forces are cutting back and it's very difficult to get accepted nowadays but if you want something bad enough then go for it, it's better than not trying.

I joined the specials on leaving the army and after a year joined the police full time, that was thirty years ago now and thankfully I'm retired. Good luck, it's a hard job but rewarding and at times you have a bloody good laugh. And every day is different.

JockScot

Old-Salt
I would say that thirty years + ago then yes. You could almost transfer from the army to civil police but unfortunately times have changed.

The financial cuts to policing don't help, let alone the way policing has changed over the years. Nowadays the police are very choosy, they can afford to be with their numbers been cut. The police today are looking for people wth degrees. Unfortunately common sense doesn't come I to it half as much as it should do.
The best advice I can offer is to write a letter to the force/s you are interested in asking them for their recruitment criteria. Remember forces are cutting back and it's very difficult to get accepted nowadays but if you want something bad enough then go for it, it's better than not trying.

I joined the specials on leaving the army and after a year joined the police full time, that was thirty years ago now and thankfully I'm retired. Good luck, it's a hard job but rewarding and at times you have a bloody good laugh. And every day is different.
Cheers for that mate I shall look into this further and see what experience is needed. I remember speaking to a copper at a Schools careers day and whilst she mentioned no qualifications are needed they are certainly welcomed as well as Armed Forces experience.

I joined the specials
That's great mate, I have a few of your records on vinyl, the lyrics to "Too much too young" really speak to me ;)

civpol

Old-Salt
There is no transfer of any kind. You will be looked on no more favorably than a 19 year old kid with two A levels who currently works at Mcdonalds. If you leave the Army you will have to wait until they recruit externally which in some places is once every two years now and then you ll be competing for 60 jobs against literally 1000's of others.

Poppy

LE
the Met are currently advertising for recruits with a second language - I think you also have to do a certificate in policing (at your own expense - £1000) before even applying

JockScot

Old-Salt
There is no transfer of any kind. You will be looked on no more favorably than a 19 year old kid with two A levels who currently works at Mcdonalds. If you leave the Army you will have to wait until they recruit externally which in some places is once every two years now and then you ll be competing for 60 jobs against literally 1000's of others.
My mistake mate, I didn't mean transfer as like directly going into it, I meant transfer your skills over to it, for example, if you left the Army after 5 years then left and went to join the Police would they see that experience as good stuff as well as your other qualifications.

JockScot

Old-Salt
the Met are currently advertising for recruits with a second language - I think you also have to do a certificate in policing (at your own expense - £1000) before even applying
Cheers for the reply mate, bad thing is I live way up north and only speak the Queens English.

civpol

Old-Salt
No I am not, I am in the process of applying as well as gaining more qualifications whilst I am still in school mate.

Fair one, its good to have a plan. The advice I would give is this. Concentrate on your potential army career and don't worry about the police by the time it comes to it you may not want to do it anymore and the goal posts will have probably moved again.

I've been in the police now for double figures of years and overall its a shit and thankless job with little in the way of a brightside.

The_Snail

ADC
RIP
That boy just called you "Mate".

Cheers for the reply mate, bad thing is I live way up north and only speak the Queens English.

No I am not, I am in the process of applying as well as gaining more qualifications whilst I am still in school mate.

Doesn't matter what you actually do in the army, the trick is to make a good fist of it, whatever it is. Show that you achieved something more than just getting through training.

The financial cuts to policing don't help, let alone the way policing has changed over the years. Nowadays the police are very choosy, they can afford to be with their numbers been cut. The police today are looking for people wth degrees. Unfortunatly common sense doesn't come I to it half as much as it should do.

Mate of mine was accepted with very little in the way of formal education recently.

And @Ho2331 has an offer. He can't possibly have a degree. He's a PTI.

JockScot

Old-Salt
Fair one, its good to have a plan. The advice I would give is this. Concentrate on your potential army career and don't worry about the police by the time it comes to it you may not want to do it anymore and the goal posts will have probably moved again.

I've been in the police now for double figures of years and overall its a shit and thankless job with little in the way of a brightside.
Cheers for that sir, it's good to have an insiders perspective as well as a no BS reply :-o
Sorry things are moving awfully fast, I need to take a step back.

JockScot

Old-Salt
Doesn't matter what you actually do in the army, the trick is to make a good fist of it, whatever it is. Show that you achieved something more than just getting through training.

Mate of mine was accepted with very little in the way of formal education recently.

And @Ho2331 has an offer. He can't possibly have a degree. He's a PTI.
Thanks for that, one of the things I keep hearing on here is that the army is what you make good of it and that hard work pays off in the long run.

The Commissioner loves me. Every month since 2002 he's been sending his appreciation to my bank account.

I noticed that. Not very respectful.

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
So, you want to join the Police but haven't yet started your Army career? I'm assuming the Army has accepted you.

I'm sure this will end well.

Latest Threads