jobs for the boys or girls?!?!?!?!?

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by dummy-run, Feb 2, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Has any other unit got this problem?!?!?!?!?

Our unit is suffering from a problem and its the 55 and over club......we have a WO2 who is hanging on too a position which really isn't needed in the TA unit i serve in just now, and to make matters worse the person is now using his position to recommend an individual for promotion over people who have greater experience and ability, also to make matters worse this person is using MTD's of troops who would be in a far better position to support op herrick.......... instead of "op pay my bills at home"

2. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

In whose opinion? The last I checked, WO2s do not sit on promotion boards or make decisions on promotions - OCs do. he will certainly be in the position to voice his opinion to the chain of command, but I doubt he is in the position to force through a promotion.

Or are you suggesting that this WO2 is so powerful that the OC and CO will bow down before his suggestions?

Also, if there is a PID for this WO2, then it comes with an MTD allocation. If you lose him, his MTDs don't "carry over" for whoever else you think should have them. He is not using MTDs from anyone else - they all have their own allocation.

3. Yes because the unit has no troop commander to monitor the actions of this person

4. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

Ok...

So the next person above this WO2 is the CO then?

Does your unit not have gradings boards? Do you understand how a grading/promotion board works?

5. i've just read this and it sounds a lot like my unit..................my unit is very unique in the way it operates and is run and where it operates from and we have a person who is sort of doing the same thing, i understand your reply but there are some units out there and not many i have to admit which are attached very close to there regular counter-parts for ease of training, and we seem to be having the same issue/issues.

Like it or not people in senior positions are and will push people they like forwards for promotion instead of letting the individuals ability come through and this seems to be a practice that is being seen on a more frequent basis in my unit as for the man training days thing well i don't see what the issue is but if this original thread is my unit why is it that the seniors can get mobilized for herrick and telic and very few of the troops who have asked many times can't ?

6. msr

msr LE

They can push them forward as much as they like.

If they do not come off the board then they will not get promoted.

msr

7. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

How you are run and who you are attached to does not change the fact that there is a system for promotion. In fact, if you are attached to a regular unit there should be even greater care taken to ensure that the correct system is used to ensure that everyone's career is managed to prevent comebacks for "career mismanagement".

I'll ask again - do your units run gradings boards, and do you understand how a grading board works?

8. if it does, then i and many others in my unit don't see this system working as for career management , my last 4 CR's have been read this sign it and file with no chance to question what is on it or how we can change and progress!!!!

9. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

You sign to say that you have seen it, not that you agree with it. However, you are well within your rights to question the content, and ask for a formal interview to discuss the content. You can also seek redress if there are errors of fact in your report.

Have you asked for a mid-year appraisal review to discuss your career management?

Or just moaned about it in the bar and on Arrse?

10. Welcome to the Army? Out of the nearly 8 years I've been a Stab, I've only seen 4 CRs.

Have you tried noshing off said W02?

11. While i appreciate the replies from you, there is one point you seem to be missing and that is some units are being run in a very private army way and the direction in which you are pointing me and others is all very well but it still does not change the fact that when W02 i am talking about, who may well be the one in the original thread spends all his time in the unit and the regular unit that its attached to its very hard to get these things you talk about without him being given prior warning to put his case across before i or others have an unbiased meeting the oc, if there is an easier way to achieve what your suggesting please tell me how

12. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

Yes - ask for the meeting with the OC.

Whether the WO2 knows about it beforehand or not is irrelevant. Contrary to how it may seem to you, a WO2 does not tell an OC who to promote. Nor will the OC/CO be bullied by a WO2 - no matter how old he is, or how many MTDs he does.

He may suggest, advise, even try to bully...but the promotion is still done on the basis of gradings and promotions boards.

Your CO will (via the adjt) put out a calling notice for all LCpls (for example) to be put forward for grading/promotion. A file will be made up for EVERY LCpl containing their relevant course reports, CRs, Op inserts etc.

These will go in front of a grading board, usually consisting of 5 grading members plus the CO/Adjt. Each will review every file, and give a grade according to the direction given by the CO. The scores are collated by the Adjt, the LCpls placed in order, and promotions awarded to those who are above the quality line in order of score until the available jobs are filled.

In the TA it can be slightly different if your unit is geographically spread as the person promoted to fill a post will need to be above the quality line AND close enough to attend the required TAC. As a result, people who score higher may fail to promote, simply because the post that needs filling is too far away for them to fill.

13. Dummy Run- Red on Green on

Same unit?

14. is the picture a give away ?

15. I used to be in 383 tp :wink: