Jobs for dependants in Germany?

Discussion in 'Seniors' started by Crunchie, May 11, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Maybe the wrong Forum, MOD's please move if ness.

I am applying for LSL, and i was going to apply for General duties and Estate Warden roles.

However i have 2 kids living at home, 16 and 17 yr old.

If i moved them to Germany,are there any jobs out there for them? They would be 18 and 19 by the time i moved.

If so in what areas?

Thanks for any advice.
  2. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Do they speak the German?
  3. Both at GCSE level C and B, but not fluent.
  4. This link takes you to the LEC(Locally employed civilian) vacancies in BFG. I don't know what age they lose dependant status.

BFG LEC Jobs

Failing that the NAAFI is always looking for people.
  5. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

They effectively cannot speak German at all then. Teenagers are unless, ones that cannot communicate more so....

Have you thought about using it as an educational opportunity? You could look into several options - language with the Goethe Institute, OU or other distance learning, international schools or any combination?
  6. Thanks for the link.
  7. Are kids over 16 entitled to live in SFA if they are in paid employment?
  8. On the contrary, the Naafia is shrinking.
  9. Yes.
  10. Not being funny, but Germany has also had a recession. In addition to speaking German as a mother tongue Heed children tend to speak at least two other modern European languages at close to fluency. I would also argue that their general education, especially in maths & scineces, is far superior to ours.

Your kids are going to have to be pretty special to get any work at all in the German market.
  11. Crunchie, I am in Germany, LSL GD and have employeed lads of that age group many times as labourers. Apart from that work, it mostly clerical work that is on offer. Bear in mind, if you are lucky to get LSL, it will be a 5 year post which you could extend out to 7. By that time I would have thought your lads would have moved on and got a job back in the UK. Or like many of our kids, they join up.
  12. Thanks for the advice.

It was an option, but after discussion if i do go for it it will be married unaccompanied as both my lads are studying A/S and a levels at present.

Cheers anyway.