jobs after the army

what are u planning to do after the army?

i really wanted to join the police or fire service after the army but i am put off by the night shifts.

what employers are looking for ex mil ?

ive just seen on one site '' they are expected to work a variety of shifts, including nights, weekends and some long days.'' , why does every career or job i like the idea of involve night shifts.

Unfortunately these sort of jobs usually mean shift work.

What sort of work would you really like to do, maybe starting your own business would be a better idea?

siggy88 said:

i really wanted to join the police or fire service after the army but i am put off by the night shifts.

Try for the fire service. Selection is fairly random, so it's hard to get in, but the money is good, the shifts are great and you'll be doing something worthwhile.

If you're white, hetro and English you can forget the politzei and HM Prisons. The fire brigade only want female dwarfs, so...?

RFUK said:
Try for the fire service. Selection is fairly random, so it's hard to get in, but the money is good, the shifts are great and you'll be doing something worthwhile.
Like Taxi driving, painting, decorating, delivering pizza's, being a personal trainer and a bit of fire fighting on the side ??

you should start training up to be a nursery nurse or head for McDonald's. Are you afraid of working at night or something? Scared the boogeyman is out there? Are you really in the military? You sound more like a shop assistant.

I'm going to trian walts proper skills and drills in preperation for there reanactments. Such as pairs fire manouveer, rates of fire, order of march, cam and concealment and specialt weaponry.

siggy88 said:

Most civvies jobs don't have the banter you get in the forces. The fire service is one of the few where you will. Unlike the police you'll not be dealing with as much of the scumbags either, get to keep fit and a good pension, not to mention the odd adrenaline rush. :)
Oh why didn't I listen to myself 20 years ago :roll:
I remember it was a 1st choice for those leaving after the fireman's strike in 77 as we all got a taste for it from standing in.

Siggy,I take it you are doing Comms in the army from your username? Then I'd try a telecomms company like Virgin Media.They are expanding at the moment & are going to be looking for field engineers soon. (I used to work for them when it was NTL & have this on good authority.)

Siggy88 you have only been in the Army a year and Nightrained your about the same I believe your not thinking of jumping ship already are you :?

I'm not, I was purly being sarcastic. £1200 a month to work about 20 hours a week (minus recce afternoons, phys, half days) and doing the odd shit job. Ha, easy money.

Nightrained said:
I'm not, I was purly being sarcastic. £1200 a month to work about 20 hours a week (minus recce afternoons, phys, half days) and doing the odd s*** job. Ha, easy money.
Good to hear you still owe me that coffee in March when I turn up on Herrick.