Jobs after leaving army

Issi

War Hero
Why don't you get some private tuition and resit your maths?

The army is not set up to be a post secondary institution to prepare you for a civvie job. The army has different priorities. However, you might be fortunate enough whilst in, to develop the confidence, self reliance, cunning, charm, and deceptive ability to con a civilian employer into giving you a chance on discharge. Or, just find a Doris with prospects.

Bluenose2

Old-Salt
I let life get away from me mate, I'm getting older and completely wasted the most important years. In the army I can get qualifications AND experience right? The second bit being the most important. I don't understand why some of you don't think I can want to both fight for the country I love and think about qualifications etc too.

Honestly, Infantry would be where I'd enjoy myself the most and it's the role I'm most suited for. I smashed the fitness tests but I'm far from being an intelligent guy.

Although, I really need to focus on a role which I can transfer into life outside the army. Something which can ensure I have a stable, decent income. Say 28k+ after tax. So I'll ask my candidate support manager if I can gain a C in Maths and then switch roles to one which will give me a better chance at earning a decent salary in the future.

Maybe I should rephrase my original question
Which roles will enable the quickest rank progression? I'd happily stay in the army for life but I'm seeing they're making it more difficult for quick rank progression now? Job roles I was looking at last month seem to have lost that privilege already.
Fair play. Likewise I left it too late to go Regular, which is my biggest regret in life. On that basis I would say 'go for it' and see what happens. Better to try and fail, than never do either.

Whether you're likely to achieve your aims in a timeframe you will find acceptable, and whether you've got the aptitude to meet those aims vs the other candidates you will be in competition with - i'll leave for others more qualified than myself to comment on.

But I'd never knock someone with an ambition to serve their country.

Best of luck chap.

Although many require me to have a GCSE level C in Maths, I only have a D.

The power engineer roles states I will get numeracy level 2 (equivalent to a GCSE C or above) in Maths as a qualification. Does anyone know if I can gain this and then switch roles?
Power engineer looks like a good ticket, if you have the ability to do it. Unless you think your grade D was down to lack of application I'd suggest you need to find out if a grade D at maths means you're always going to be struggling with the skill level. If you want to use this as a way onto a decent civilian career then you don't want to shift roles you want to get on in the branch with your qualifications. Then you come out with not only the paper but X years experience behind you as well.

C, C+E, ADR Core+Packages+Tanks, Army Petroleum Tanker Course, LPG1 & Driver CPC (after leaving the army)
With Airside Security then LHR or LGW Plane refueler or Tanker Driver for Hoyer - Salary £45-£75k
Fecking typical, I left the army with all of those but haven't driven a truck since the day before I de-kitted.
Mind you, it hasn't stopped me from doing all right.
Strangely, all of those I know who left to go onto high paying careers are doing nothing even remotely related to their previous military jobs. All seemed to have failed upwards whilst moving sideways.
Saying that though, I have no doubt that had they not served first, they would not be in the positions they are now.
It's not the job you do in the forces that makes you, it's the forces themselves I think.

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
RAF Police. Most civvie car parks need barrier technicians.

Ain't got the spare funds for that...
Most Adult Education Establishments offer free English & Math's all you need to do is ask.
Some are through the Open College Network and aligned with GCSE's.
If you are that keen to get a good army job you can start now by using the advice we give you.

I let life get away from me mate, I'm getting older and completely wasted the most important years. In the army I can get qualifications AND experience right? The second bit being the most important. I don't understand why some of you don't think I can want to both fight for the country I love and think about qualifications etc too.

Honestly, Infantry would be where I'd enjoy myself the most and it's the role I'm most suited for. I smashed the fitness tests but I'm far from being an intelligent guy.

Although, I really need to focus on a role which I can transfer into life outside the army. Something which can ensure I have a stable, decent income. Say 28k+ after tax. So I'll ask my candidate support manager if I can gain a C in Maths and then switch roles to one which will give me a better chance at earning a decent salary in the future.

Which roles will enable the quickest rank progression? I'd happily stay in the army for life but I'm seeing they're making it more difficult for quick rank progression now? Job roles I was looking at last month seem to have lost that privilege already.
Find a hot woman with a well paying job, car, her own house, etc

My experiance in life has taught me some women think have it all but when they get home or clock off they're lonely, learn to how send them to heaven every night and your sorted

Plus they'll enjoy your boring conversation about INF etc and stories...

Jam3s0408

Swinger
Most Adult Education Establishments offer free English & Math's all you need to do is ask.
Some are through the Open College Network and aligned with GCSE's.
If you are that keen to get a good army job you can start now by using the advice we give you.
Thanks, I've checked on the gov website and requested a call back from the national careers service about taking my GCSE maths again. I appreciate you letting me know, for some reason I assumed there would be a fee. Cheers

Fecking typical, I left the army with all of those but haven't driven a truck since the day before I de-kitted.
Mind you, it hasn't stopped me from doing all right.
Strangely, all of those I know who left to go onto high paying careers are doing nothing even remotely related to their previous military jobs. All seemed to have failed upwards whilst moving sideways.
Saying that though, I have no doubt that had they not served first, they would not be in the positions they are now.
It's not the job you do in the forces that makes you, it's the forces themselves I think.
Spot on!

When I went into the careers centre I wanted to join the Infantry, the person who I spoke with convinced me it was a bad decision. There was a private at the AC who nearly got me to join the Irish guards, it was so tempting but I stuck to my decision to join a role which will give me qualifications I could hopefully use in later life outside the army. I've been looking at engineering or IT & communication roles. Although many require me to have a GCSE level C in Maths, I only have a D.

The power engineer roles states I will get numeracy level 2 (equivalent to a GCSE C or above) in Maths as a qualification. Does anyone know if I can gain this and then switch roles?
I can assure you that a level 2 in Maths is pretty worthless, it means you can count to twenty with your socks off, which is of little use towards your eventual well paying career post army service. I'd suggest that you redo Gcse maths and aim for a higher grade.

£28k isn't aiming very high.Bear in mind the ongoing automation of many jobs, so you could do " x" years in the army only to find the job you intended is now done by a robot.
If you do a full army career it's more likely than not that you'll end up with injuries both physical and mental, then be competing for jobs against blokes with more experience. Your possible pension may cushion the blow a bit , but civilian careers are far more fiercely competitive than military ones, being able to bring value and profit to your employer will count far more than tales of derring do in some foreign shithole.

Latest Threads