Jobs after leaving army

Thanks

The minimum would be 4. Maybe I'll do 8, maybe I'll make a full career out of it. I'm not really sure what I'll be doing past 4 years tbh. I have absolutely no idea what I want to do but I do know I want it to be something I could use outside of the military to secure a decent paying job.
You can't secure a decent paying job in Civvy street, some might be lucky and walk into a job that is equivalent to what they were doing in the Army, but many have to start at the bottom again or damn near it and work your way up. It is arrogant to think that after 4 years in the Army you can just leave and swan into a well paid job.

You have to remember that there will be civvies out there that have 4, 8, 22 years real world experience on you before you even start. So when you tell people to get off their high horse it is generally because we have had to work bloody hard to get there.

Arte_et_Marte

ADC
What do you mean?
Being charged for possession, that's a head start, right there.

If only you had the moral high ground to tell a member of this site to get off their high horse.

This site has in excess of 28 years of military experience. We know stuff. We also have members who actually rode high horses.

I'm basically saying calm down.

@Jam3s0408 after the army, and starting at the ground floor, working in various engineering and healthcare scenarios that took many years of hard slog through universities, the wife inherited a massive amount of dosh and land, so I am now independently wealthy, and have a totally hedonistic lifestyle. I would suggest you find a Doris with a wealthy Father.

Jam3s0408

Swinger
Being charged for possession, that's a head start, right there.

If only you had the moral high ground to tell a member of this site to get off their high horse.

This site has in excess of 28 years of military experience. We know stuff. We also have members who actually rode high horses.

I'm basically saying calm down.
I'm sure if you dug into alot of members lives they've probably done something worse than smoke a little cannabis. It doesn't mean I forfeit my right to tell someone to get off their high horse.

Which role in the army will enable me to go on to a high paying job once I leave the force?
Most of the Scaley trades can lead to a good salary in Civ-Div.

A word of advice, do not join the Army already looking to your next career - focus on this one as a Soldier in whatever you think you really want to do most in the British Army.

Your heart needs to be in THIS job, not the next one. The British Army will require more passion, blood, sweat and tears from you than any other job.

Is power engineer the bloke that puts more diesel in the generator twice a day?
Diesel you say, now it all makes sense why my generators wouldn't work

Bluenose2

Old-Salt
Most of the Scaley trades can lead to a good salary in Civ-Div.

A word of advice, do not join the Army already looking to your next career - focus on this one as a Soldier in whatever you think you really want to do most in the British Army.

Your heart needs to be in THIS job, not the next one. The British Army will require more passion, blood, sweat and tears from you than any other job.
Spot on.

OP - what is it YOU want to get from a life in the Forces?

Maybe that's a good place to start in terms of deciding which trade is best for you.

Be a professional military murderer of German taxi drivers. A successful television career will soon follow.
But he will have to work Christmas Day, once the Queen has said her bit

Generalissimo and all round Dictator. It worked for Idi Amin after a short period in the British Army after enlisting as a cook. He also won a Victoria Cross.
Wasn't he the Last King of somewhere shite?

I don't think they do that role anymore, although I may be wrong. The signals have had some big revamp and a bunch of new roles have been introduced.

I think I'm going to go for Power Engineer or Cyber Engineer. I'd like to of joined as a aircraft or electrical technician but don't have all the required grades.

Thanks for your suggestions. Except for the few totally unhelpful ones, you guys can go F yourself.
Come back on Friday night mate, I and a few others will have the right answers for you.

Jam3s0408

Swinger
Spot on.

OP - what is it YOU want to get from a life in the Forces?

Maybe that's a good place to start in terms of deciding which trade is best for you.
When I went into the careers centre I wanted to join the Infantry, the person who I spoke with convinced me it was a bad decision. There was a private at the AC who nearly got me to join the Irish guards, it was so tempting but I stuck to my decision to join a role which will give me qualifications I could hopefully use in later life outside the army. I've been looking at engineering or IT & communication roles. Although many require me to have a GCSE level C in Maths, I only have a D.

The power engineer roles states I will get numeracy level 2 (equivalent to a GCSE C or above) in Maths as a qualification. Does anyone know if I can gain this and then switch roles?

A few of you need to get off your high horse
Career commisions attaining 2 star rank are common as 'bursers' in private schools 32-60k Annum. But these chappies have a healthy pension and, for that reason, will settle for the less demanding.
I suspect you are thinking of something else. Problem is 'experience. You need to put the time in both to progress with responsibility and gain access to the requisite training - so no quick fix there.
What is the market looking for that the military can provide for a medium term investment by you. I would guess cyber security. The longer you serve, the greater the risk that your skills might not meet market needs....then there is your personality....and that should tell you that you can be anything you want to be.

The power engineer roles states I will get numeracy level 2 (equivalent to a GCSE C or above) in Maths as a qualification. Does anyone know if I can gain this and then switch roles?
I got a similar story at Sutton Coldfield. Next thing I knew, I was knee deep in water in a peat slit trench with lots of bangy shit going bang.

Bluenose2

Old-Salt
When I went into the careers centre I wanted to join the Infantry, the person who I spoke with convinced me it was a bad decision. There was a private at the AC who nearly got me to join the Irish guards, it was so tempting but I stuck to my decision to join a role which will give me qualifications I could hopefully use in later life outside the army. I've been looking at engineering or IT & communication roles. Although many require me to have a GCSE level C in Maths, I only have a D.

If I were on an interview panel and you gave the above answer, i'd be inclined to ask why you want to pursue those aims inside the forces, rather than on civvie street?

Genuinely interested, not being a pedant.

If you get in you will be eligible for education credits, you can use these on things like OU courses etc (Unless the rules have changed). As has been said I would look at the reasons you wish to join

The Army gave me training, the rest you do on you're own & pay for it yourself.

I know of one soldier who ended up a LE Major QM & at the start of his career he only wanted 1 stripe so he could shout at the rest of us with authority, they are about to retire on a nice pension & good civy job lined up.

If you want advice we will give it, if you decide not to take it that is up to you.
You might change what you want to do once in the army, you might not.

I do suggest you apply first & see what you are offered, it might then be throw teddy out time!

Jam3s0408

Swinger
If I were on an interview panel and you gave the above answer, i'd be inclined to ask why you want to pursue those aims inside the forces, rather than on civvie street?

Genuinely interested, not being a pedant.
I let life get away from me mate, I'm getting older and completely wasted the most important years. In the army I can get qualifications AND experience right? The second bit being the most important. I don't understand why some of you don't think I can want to both fight for the country I love and think about qualifications etc too.

Honestly, Infantry would be where I'd enjoy myself the most and it's the role I'm most suited for. I smashed the fitness tests but I'm far from being an intelligent guy.

Although, I really need to focus on a role which I can transfer into life outside the army. Something which can ensure I have a stable, decent income. Say 28k+ after tax. So I'll ask my candidate support manager if I can gain a C in Maths and then switch roles to one which will give me a better chance at earning a decent salary in the future.

Maybe I should rephrase my original question
Which roles will enable the quickest rank progression? I'd happily stay in the army for life but I'm seeing they're making it more difficult for quick rank progression now? Job roles I was looking at last month seem to have lost that privilege already.

Latest Threads