I'd love to do infantry, in cadets I loved it even though it was only basic, my main issue is when I leave then what can I do, I've CNT level 2 in it, GCSE engineering and an nvq in engineering ops (can't remember the level) if I went to Harrogate I would get two more qualifications, I'm stuck on wether I should or not because of the prospects after army, I know about security and sometimes police force but I'm wondering how well is life after.

Why not join as a different trade?

Failing that, join as inf, get it out of your system, leave.

Any qualification you can get, get it!

Those with qualifications are much more likely to open doors to better jobs and commensurately, better money and conditions than those who don't have them.

That's how it works in civvy street regardless of what job you did in the mob. Infantry is great but get an education and the qualifications as well.

hank

War Hero
Is it still possible to do an initial three years with infantry and then transfer to a "trade" arm more relevant to subsequent civilian employment? That worked for me thirty-something years ago.

I'd love to do infantry, in cadets I loved it even though it was only basic, my main issue is when I leave then what can I do, I've CNT level 2 in it, GCSE engineering and an nvq in engineering ops (can't remember the level) if I went to Harrogate I would get two more qualifications, I'm stuck on wether I should or not because of the prospects after army, I know about security and sometimes police force but I'm wondering how well is life after.

The army will be there in a few years. I advise you to get a trade now, independent of the army, then you can do whatever you like, can't you? 22yrs if it pans out, or a transfer or resettlement if it doesn't. It's all good.

Is it still possible to do an initial three years with infantry and then transfer to a "trade" arm more relevant to subsequent civilian employment? That worked for me thirty-something years ago.

It's possible however be careful which inf unit you decide on the initial 4 years (3 years, 4th yr sign off period).

Or, the OP could join via a local TA unit asking his CoC which units require additional bods to request an attachment then go from there.

Unless things have changed, Some inf units can be workable or simply a nightmare to deal with in regards of transferring to a 'trade'.

@OP: So be very careful, do research and good luck on your chosen career.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

Apparently possible, but the advice (even when I joined) is not to make it your game plan.