Jobless to work clearing litter

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Crusty(LE), Jul 21, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Long overdue

2. Yes a great idea, have said this for ages. Why should they get a handout ? many think it's their right like pocket money.

Clearing litter would benefit the community, give the individual less time to take/buy/sell drugs and commit crime. It may teach them not to drop litter in the first place.

However I can foresee a few difficulties. Do people who live some distance away from where litter is to be collected get travel costs ?

How many hours will they work ?, it won't be long before some do gooder will point it it's less than the minimum wage.

3. There are far too many people who have decided that life is good on the Dole. Free housing, exemption from Council Tax, dental fees etc. A wee job on the black for a couple of days washing cars or whatever and plenty of time to buy stolen goods and get themselves on NHS waiting lists. Then they complain about being skint. I showed one guy my wageslip and he thought my tax was my wage!

4. At long last. No work no dole, brilliant.

5. Sympathetic_Reaction

Sympathetic_Reaction LE Book Reviewer

It's not quite as nice as you think...from what i heard on the radio this morning the proposal is:

4 weeks fulltime community work...after 2 years on the dole.

So 4 weeks work for 2 years dole money...where do i sign up?

S_R

6. Being incredibly sceptical I'll believe it when I see it, like all policies that are described by politicians with the phrases 'shake up','far reaching' and such like it'll end up as a farce. The loop holes will be big enough to drive a container lorry full of suffocating illegal immigrants through.

7. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

If what S_R says is correct, then I am disappointed. I'd put the service requirement point at six months (long enough to be searching/out of work) with days off thereafter for proven interviews only.

8. Sympathetic_Reaction

Sympathetic_Reaction LE Book Reviewer

I think 'theoriginalphantom' might have the correct setup, but it's still pretty pathetic.

Personally I think you should either be full-time job seeking (i.e. in the job centre, at interviews or courses) or you should be doing some community tasks for the money.

The bizarre and weird thing is that under the current rules you are NOT allowed to do community work (i.e. volunteering for a charity or similar) as then you are not 'job seeking'.

S_R

9. Its Nice to see they are thinking about it but its still light weight, I think 3 months to find work and then chain gang type employment and that includes women.

Edt to add fcuk off do gooders, its likes likes of you that makes life too easy on the lower echelons of society....

10. True. A friend of mine lost her job due to circumstances beyond her control and the area she lives in has a high level of unemployment due to the fact that there is a high population (immigrants) and low amount of jobs.

As anyone will know who has spent any time unemployed. When you want to work and cant is really stresses you out. Now she is happy to take any job, she even wants to volunteer, just to give herself a bit of peace of mind that she is actually doing something with her life.

The advice she has been given by the jobcentre is to go to her Doc and get written sick with depression so she can do volunteer work. The mind boggles.

11. Waiting a year, or six months, or even three months seems a long old time.

I have never been out of work for more than a few weeks, and even then its was personal choice. Its easy to find a job, even if its stacking shelves! Start this community service after a month and have it be one full day a week.

12. I can't wait to see if this is implemented. I will have a small party to celebrate doley boy next door who has been unemployed 12 years that I know going to pick up litter.

No great surprise many don't want to work when the Govt gives them the following :

Free Rent £65 p/w
    Council tax £15 p/w
    Money for sitting around £60 p/w

13. 12 years unemployed? And a bloke in Manchester on the Today programme who was 15 years unemployed?

If they get everything they want, where's the incentive to work? Get them out there picking up litter, cleaning up graffiti, gardening in public areas, delivering shopping for pensioners..... in fact anything nobody else wants to do. Make work the easy option and people might get off their arses.

14. msr

msr LE

She could go to her local college and improve her skills with a course.

msr