Job Seekers Allowance and Housing Benefit

Discussion in 'Finance, Property, Law' started by Spanish_Dave, Feb 6, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Spanish_Dave

Spanish_Dave LE Good Egg (charities)

Hi all, My daughter who is 19, single, no children and a college student (full time) has been offerd a council flat, she has no income whatsoever, not even EMA. She has a Jobcentreplus meeting to discuss JSA and housing benefit to see if she is entitled. She is available for work at least 3 full days a week and evenings

My question is how do I prepare her for what to say to ensure she is entitled?

Any DS answers would be greatly appreciated.

Dave

2. She is a very Lucky girl to get a council flat in this day and age.

3. Black her face up and tell her to mutter 'me speak no english'

On a more serious note, she is always better off being honest about her income and circumstances. If they ask why she is in need of her own place rather than living with her parents, she just needs to say because you threw her out, or similar. There's no point in fibbing about anything because if they find out, she will have overpayments to repay, however that doesn't mean that she cant be er, economical with the truth.

4. Surely if she is classed as a full time college student then she can not claim JSA???

Otherwise all students at college and uni would do it!!!

Also I thought EMA was available to all in College but on a sliding scale regarding Parent income?

5. Spanish_Dave

Thanks for the response so far guys, she does not qualify for any EMA.

6. Also I thought EMA was available to all in College but on a sliding scale regarding Parent income?[/quote]

I believe it's under 30k a year household income that the scale begins, and the max payout is £30 a week, it may of changed by now of course this is going back 2 years :)

7. Hi Dave

A few things to be aware of, first off the fact she is a "full time" student may effect her JSA payment, in so much as, students have to be studying 16 hours or under to qualify for full JSA.
    If she does not qualify, she may be entitled to income support.(ESA)

But she may be entitled to housing benefit regardless of her study hours.

On the housing side of life, she will get her council tax paid, but dependant on the number of rooms of the property she is allocated, would depend on the amount of housing benefit she would get, ie if she was given a 2 bed flat, she would not get full housing benefit and would have to find the remaining rent herself.
    This is because she only requires one room, despite what the council offer her, but can only assume the council would offer a one bed anyway.

All forms will be issued at the interview.

There are also lots of grants available, such as a community care grant to help furnish the property.

She will also have to show her "learning agreement" when she goes to the interview, to prove what hours she is studying.
    No benefits will be processed until they have seen this form, so priority that she takes this along.

There is a calculator on your local .gov website, so she can work out roughly what she might be entitled to.

Any more you want to know PM me, my mrs works at the JCP so have loads of info on tap.

8. Spanish_Dave

I believe it's under 30k a year household income that the scale begins, and the max payout is £30 a week, it may of changed by now of course this is going back 2 years :)[/quote]

My income is to high to allow her any EMA

9. I believe it's under 30k a year household income that the scale begins, and the max payout is £30 a week, it may of changed by now of course this is going back 2 years :)[/quote]

£31200 was the figure last year my sprog gets £10 quid a week. oh and a top up from daddy mind you she works as well.

10. direct.gov.uk has lots of info about benefits: who can claim and how much. She should take as much supporting documentary evidence as she can with her when she goes for the interview. As a Service sprog, she may be eligible for support from service charities, for as long as she stays in continuous education. The most important thing is that she understands all aspects of her finances, sets and keeps to a realistic budget. And if living like this proves unaffordable for any reason, she gets advice asap - before the bills start mounting up. Good luck with getting it sorted out.

11. I did not know that you can claim any benefits while studying ,A friend have given me this link that may be of help to your daughter http://bit.ly/pFsSI

12. Spanish_Dave

Thanks Abbey

13. Spanish_Dave

Does anybody know if income support is an option :?

14. Read my first reply Dave, too many circumstances dictate what is available, and as such, no answer can be given until she goes in and is assessed, until she has applied, the JCP sadly do not make the decision, it is passed over to processing, and they make the decision.

15. Dave, is there somehow a block on you Googling stuff? I appreciate the good work you've done but would you really trust info from this lot passed on third hand with a further Whet onslaught possibly on the go?

To put it politely, Google the fcuker. Each case is so very different.