Job Seekers Allowance and Housing Benefit

Hi all, My daughter who is 19, single, no children and a college student (full time) has been offerd a council flat, she has no income whatsoever, not even EMA. She has a Jobcentreplus meeting to discuss JSA and housing benefit to see if she is entitled. She is available for work at least 3 full days a week and evenings

My question is how do I prepare her for what to say to ensure she is entitled?

Any DS answers would be greatly appreciated.

Dave

Black her face up and tell her to mutter 'me speak no english'

On a more serious note, she is always better off being honest about her income and circumstances. If they ask why she is in need of her own place rather than living with her parents, she just needs to say because you threw her out, or similar. There's no point in fibbing about anything because if they find out, she will have overpayments to repay, however that doesn't mean that she cant be er, economical with the truth.

Surely if she is classed as a full time college student then she can not claim JSA???

Otherwise all students at college and uni would do it!!!

Also I thought EMA was available to all in College but on a sliding scale regarding Parent income?

Also I thought EMA was available to all in College but on a sliding scale regarding Parent income?[/quote]

I believe it's under 30k a year household income that the scale begins, and the max payout is £30 a week, it may of changed by now of course this is going back 2 years :)

Spanish_Dave said:
Hi all, My daughter who is 19, single, no children and a college student (full time) has been offerd a council flat, she has no income whatsoever, not even EMA. She has a Jobcentreplus meeting to discuss JSA and housing benefit to see if she is entitled. She is available for work at least 3 full days a week and evenings

My question is how do I prepare her for what to say to ensure she is entitled?

Any DS answers would be greatly appreciated.

Dave

Hi Dave

A few things to be aware of, first off the fact she is a "full time" student may effect her JSA payment, in so much as, students have to be studying 16 hours or under to qualify for full JSA.
If she does not qualify, she may be entitled to income support.(ESA)

But she may be entitled to housing benefit regardless of her study hours.

On the housing side of life, she will get her council tax paid, but dependant on the number of rooms of the property she is allocated, would depend on the amount of housing benefit she would get, ie if she was given a 2 bed flat, she would not get full housing benefit and would have to find the remaining rent herself.
This is because she only requires one room, despite what the council offer her, but can only assume the council would offer a one bed anyway.

All forms will be issued at the interview.

There are also lots of grants available, such as a community care grant to help furnish the property.

She will also have to show her "learning agreement" when she goes to the interview, to prove what hours she is studying.
No benefits will be processed until they have seen this form, so priority that she takes this along.

There is a calculator on your local .gov website, so she can work out roughly what she might be entitled to.

Any more you want to know PM me, my mrs works at the JCP so have loads of info on tap.

public_enemy_no1 said:
Also I thought EMA was available to all in College but on a sliding scale regarding Parent income?
I believe it's under 30k a year household income that the scale begins, and the max payout is £30 a week, it may of changed by now of course this is going back 2 years :)[/quote]

My income is to high to allow her any EMA

public_enemy_no1 said:
I believe it's under 30k a year household income that the scale begins, and the max payout is £30 a week, it may of changed by now of course this is going back 2 years :)[/quote]

£31200 was the figure last year my sprog gets £10 quid a week. oh and a top up from daddy mind you she works as well.

direct.gov.uk has lots of info about benefits: who can claim and how much. She should take as much supporting documentary evidence as she can with her when she goes for the interview. As a Service sprog, she may be eligible for support from service charities, for as long as she stays in continuous education. The most important thing is that she understands all aspects of her finances, sets and keeps to a realistic budget. And if living like this proves unaffordable for any reason, she gets advice asap - before the bills start mounting up. Good luck with getting it sorted out.

I did not know that you can claim any benefits while studying ,A friend have given me this link that may be of help to your daughter http://bit.ly/pFsSI

Spanish_Dave said:
Does anybody know if income support is an option :?

Read my first reply Dave, too many circumstances dictate what is available, and as such, no answer can be given until she goes in and is assessed, until she has applied, the JCP sadly do not make the decision, it is passed over to processing, and they make the decision.

Spanish_Dave said:
Dave, is there somehow a block on you Googling stuff? I appreciate the good work you've done but would you really trust info from this lot passed on third hand with a further Whet onslaught possibly on the go?

Income Support
What is Income Support?

This is extra money to help people on a low income.

It is for people who don't have to sign on as unemployed.

This could be if you are:

* sick or disabled
* a lone parent responsible for a child under 12 years of age
* a carer, or
* registered blind.
To put it politely, Google the fcuker. Each case is so very different.

mistersoft said:
Spanish_Dave said:
Dave, is there somehow a block on you Googling stuff? I appreciate the good work you've done but would you really trust info from this lot passed on third hand with a further Whet onslaught possibly on the go?

Income Support
What is Income Support?

This is extra money to help people on a low income.

It is for people who don't have to sign on as unemployed.

This could be if you are:

* sick or disabled
* a lone parent responsible for a child under 12 years of age
* a carer, or
* registered blind.
To put it politely, Google the fcuker. Each case is so very different.

Bit much isnt it? i have a mrs who works for the JCP, how close to an actual answer do you want? despite already mentioning the .gov website?

cheeky feck.

Gren said:
Bit much isnt it? i have a mrs who works for the JCP, how close to an actual answer do you want? despite already mentioning the .gov website?

cheeky feck.
I wasn't referring to you Gren. As you said, the .gov website is the place to go though that could also could have been found quite easily by Googling it.

You know what these threads are like. Most posters are well intentioned and some actually post the info required or the place to find it (like yourself) but then there's always one who hates students, one who is a tax payer and doesn't see why he/she should support students, one who thinks students should be shot, one who isn't a student but was still shot (a cold dark winter's night somewhere apparently), one who lives in ******** (insert country of choice) and students are shot and the only support they tend to get is on the end of a rope, one who had his relatives shot, one who blames Gordon Brown, one who blames Europe, one who thought Dave was auctioning off his daughter, one who asked if she was fit, one who doesn't care if she's fit as he's had worse, one who thinks students should just get a job, one who offers a job, one who offers and there's no way that could be classed as a job, one who wants to know what the best boots are, (posted in the wrong thread), one who blames the RAF, one who says that won't be for long, one who is a vegan, one who think vegans belong in the RAF Star Trek Association but do you know what's worse?

There's always one who considering the state they're in (all tired and emotional), that should have left their keyboard well alone but nevertheless still posted that Dave should just Google it and in the process pissed off Gren. :)

Dave, when you next come over pop into the nearest Benefits Agency, or whatever they are called this week, or the nearest CAB.

mistersoft said:
There's always one who considering the state they're in (all tired and emotional), that should have left their keyboard well alone but nevertheless still posted that Dave should just Google it and in the process pissed off Gren. :)
You make that sound like a bad thing :twisted: