Job Opertunities Singapore

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by jonwilly, Nov 27, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Singapore sacks hangman before Australian execution
    Sun Nov 27, 2005 3:00 AM ET

SINGAPORE (Reuters) - Singapore has sacked its long-serving hangman, less than a week before the scheduled execution of an Australian drug smuggler, after his identity and picture was exposed by media.
    "They called me a few days ago and said I don't have to hang Nguyen and that I don't have to work anymore," Chief executioner Darshan Singh told Reuters on Sunday.

"I think they (the prison authorities) must be mad after seeing my pictures in the newspapers," Singh said.

Australia's Sunday Telegraph said a new executioner was expected to be flown into Singapore this week to carry out the December 2 hanging of 25-year-old Nguyen Tuong Van, who was sentenced to death for carrying 400 grams (0.9 lb) of heroin while in transit at the island-nation's airport.

Singh, a 74-year-old ethnic Indian, was reported in the Australian media to have conducted more than 850 hangings in his 50-year career. The reports said Singh had wanted to retire, but the search for a replacement was unsuccessful.

Singapore's prison department could not be reached for comment.

© Reuters 2005. All Rights Reserved.
  2. i reckon its a face saving way of sparing the aussie drug dealer life and giving him a long prison term instead.
  3. I don't thinks so, Semper. It could well be a delaying tactic, bearing in mind that the SEA Games are on, but I doubt very much if this sentence will be commuted. I don't think it should be either: living here I see the benefits of their anti-drugs and anti-anti-social behaviour policies and it compares VERY favourably with the UK. Their political system may be rather less free than is ideal, but the country is only 40 years old and I'd say gets more things right than wrong.
  4. ... at the cost of what Dozy... It may seem clean, and perfect, but it's all square edges and corners. The old Singapore is gone with all its traditions and cultural history. What's been put in its place is a bland veneer of a Western Ideal that has no place in S. E. Asia. It's false, brutal and cold and I hate it. Away from Orchard Rd and in the backs streets of Bedok, Sembawang and Jurong you'll find the true cost of what Singapore aspires to be, if you care to walk amongst those for who the government has no legistration for.

If you take care to talk to the people who work in the food courts and drive your taxis you would realise that these people are living in fear. They speak of Lee Kuan Yew as if he was still alive and are very careful about what they say to whom.

Yeah - Singapore is a great Country... but not if you're a local.
  5. He is - from his CV

Nov 1990 Resigned as Prime Minister.
    Appointed Senior Minister by Prime Minister Goh Chok Tong.
    Re-appointed Senior Minister by Prime Minister Goh in 1991, 1997, 2001.
    Aug 2004 Appointed Minister Mentor by Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong.

Note - Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong is his son
  6. ... hang on - I thought he carked it ages ago. I knew his son was in power... but. I have to go and check this out. I'm probably wrong - but I'm sure he's dead.
  7. ... just checked. Apologies to all. He is still alive... Why did I think he was dead?
  8. No. He's Minister Mentor and very much alive.

Ref your previous, I am well aware of the failings of this country and appreciate that as an expat I have a life that the locals do not. I have a few locals as friends and know their anger and concerns about certain issues. I'm aware of guarded talk, the same way as I'm suspicious of any stranger who wants to talk too freely about my views about Singapore. No-where in my previous post did I use the word "perfect" nor did I call Singapore a "great country", however I stand by my belief that their way of dealing with anti-social behaviour is much better than ours in the UK. It is not impossible to reconcile strong social order policies with a liberal democratic society and I wish that the UK would - please note that here I'm not referring to Stalinist policies of losing right of assembly etc, I'm referring to caning vandals.
  9. At a ¨guesstimate´, I would say that if Singapores strong anti-crime policies work for around 95+% of the population then democracy is working. One of the few places I have ever felt safe to walk anywhere at night. (Admittedly I was last there about 6 years ago - Not so when first there (60s and 70s) )
  10. I wouldn't agree that democracy is working due to the number of disenfranchised, the blatant class system which as a rule depends on your race, e.g. a Bangladeshi Singaporean life on a building site is worth a couple of thousand dollars max where a Chinese Singaporean life is worth much, much more (if you see any on the building site in a labouring capacity in the first place) and where any constituency which votes in a non-PAP (People's Action Party) candidate suddenly loses funding for planned local enhancements.
  11. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

OK! Suits me.
  12. OK, OK guys. It was never my intention to make any ex-pat feel bad about being an ex-pat in Singapore... so sorry Dozy. I'll wind my neck in and pick my toys up off the nursery floor and all that. It's just that I've just come back from visiting my family there and they're all pretty miserable to be honest. The younger generation feel stifled and pressured and the older generation feel displaced and sidelined. It's not even that my family are poor over there, as one of my Uncles runs a governmental facility and does pretty well for himself and there's even a street named after one of my Great-Grandfathers as my Chinese family were pretty involved in politics during the early half of the 20th centuary... Kings Chinese and all that... (yeah - I know, oooooooo get me etc). Argh - it's just that my hackles raise when I hear about 'how great Singapore is' as I've seen what the cost is to get there. Hardly anyone of my generation speaks Malay or Mandarin fluently - instead it's the weird pastiche that is 'Singlish'. As Dozy says racism is rife - I mean they even check to see what kind of 'Chinese' you are!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So, I'll accept the crime, graffiti, litter and general grubbyness and live as I want to, as opposed to existing in a sterile cage bolted together by state sponsored violence and thought control.

<... climbs down from and dismantles high horse, pokes last teddy back through the bars of her play pen, picks up bat and toddles home>
  13. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

YOUR COMMENTS ARE interesting, I'm actively looking for work there because whenever I've been to Sing its been a lot of fun and I'm sure me and my family would like to live there. The aussie I'm working with lived there for three years and also loved it. I'm not assuming its for life though, I think 5 years or so would be enough...

Dozy, PM on its way to you.

Mr H
  14. Oh dear, we're going to have a group hug in a minute, but I understand why you said what you did. I try not to be a 'typical' expat - I have ventured into the heartlands, though not to some of the (frankly dubious!) places that Cuts has suggested. One of my Aussie friends has recently become engaged to a Chinese Singaporean and at a recent dinner party (after copious amounts of wine!) we got into the usual discussion about politics. I was surprised at how unquestioning Elena was, bearing in mind she studied in Australia (as many do) and has worked in the UK. She dismissed many of the concerns that my Malay Singaporean friends have without even an attempt to see things from their perspective, which was something I (and the rest of those gathered) was surprised about.

From an 'outsider-looking-in' perspective, I feel sorry for Singapore. It is trying desperately hard to be all things to all men and fails with monotonous regularity. It tries to be Hong Kong by becoming a central regional business area and by staging one leg of the Rugby Sevens, but the atmosphere is so sterile it's embarrassing. With Sentosa it tries to compete with Indonesia and Malaysia for 'weekend holiday' business, but it's never going to match somewhere like Bintan or Tioman for their easy chilled atmospheres. I'm here, like many, as part of the outsourcing revolution in service industries and the Singapore government is fighting tooth and nail with tax-breaks and other incentives to bring businesses here and to keep them here. It's done wonders for the economy, but it wouldn't be hard for the government to divert some of those funds to welfare and health provision whilst keeping general taxes low.

Yes, Singapore can be cold (metaphorically speaking, except for my office, which is aircon central!), sterile and seemingly heartless at times, but 40 years is hardly any time for a country to be in charge of its own destiny and I have a feeling that as time goes on, the state control will ease off. Over the past 10 years, largely driven by the influx of expats, the drinking laws and some of the sex laws have been eased (no Cuts, you’re still not allowed to do THAT!) and as the government sees more of its own educated population leaving these shores for Australia, the US and the UK, I think that they’ll follow the conservative political pattern of change in order to conserve.
  15. 8O ... ahhh well. I'd join in the group hug, but you never know who's out there 8O