Job Interviews

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by speedybham, Jan 20, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I left the TA a few years ago and recently went to a few job interviews as i'm self employed and work was a bit slow. Have I made a mistake by mentioning I was in the TA, they all asked, would I consider rejoining, to which I say :oops: 'i wouldn't rule it out in the future' (being the honest person i am :roll: why, why, why did i just say that), the room then goes quiet... 8O

Just wondering if anyone else has had such a reaction in an interview? In the current climate I feel anyone would have difficulty in getting a job, but if your in the TA would it be even harder???

On reflection I think i'm just gona stick to the self employed bit for now until my application is sorted.

2. msr

msr LE

3. I had an interview recently, and their response to my involvement with the TA was very positive. It all depends on how you present it to them. I took the positive side of it and focused on leadership, unique approaches to complex problems, adapting to a dynamic situation in which your initial plan goes out the window etc. We chatted for quite a while, and they seemed quite impressed with the fact that I wasn't just using civvie life examples.

If you're going to talk about the TA in an interview, think about what you'll say when asked about it. If you're asked what you've gained from the TA do you (a) say that you've improved your shooting to the point where you scored maximum points on your last APWT or do you (b) give examples of how you've used your lateral thinking to overcome complex problems?

4. msr

msr LE

5. MSR, i have read the FAQ's and looked at the PREVIOUS threads

and The_Green_Manalishi i would go with option B, you don't want to scare them off! :wink:

6. I was recently in a position of having to attend interviews (got a job now) and I mentioned it on my CV and in the interviews. Mostly they brought it up and wanted to know about it and what I did. All seemed interested and it seemed to go in my favour. My current employer (Royal Mail) is supportive.

7. That was a question for you to ponder over rather than me asking for advice, but thanks.