Hello, I'm am about to go to Harrogate but didn't get a say in my job choice as there was only one place left, in the artillery. (I did this to get my foot in the door as I didn't
want to enter adult training at 17.)

I want to do a mechanical job because that's what interests me but I also don't want
to be stuck in a workshop all day.
Any advice would be helpful from those with more knowledge about it than me about job choices!
Cheers, Dan

P.S. When do you select your job choice for good in Harrogate.

Last edited:
1. If you can't be arsed to wait a few months, then your job choice can't be bothering you that much.
2. If you want to do a mechanical job, there is no avoiding workshops.
3. You select your job choice before you start Harrogate. You can apply to be re-capbadged, but that's dependent on your BARB test/TST. If you didn't get REME because you dribbled on the application papers, it is unlikely that you will be able to recapbadge into a technical trade.

1. If you can't be arsed to wait a few months, then your job choice can't be bothering you that much.
2. If you want to do a mechanical job, there is no avoiding workshops.
3. You select your job choice before you start Harrogate. You can apply to be re-capbadged, but that's dependent on your BARB test/TST. If you didn't get REME because you dribbled on the application papers, it is unlikely that you will be able to recapbadge into a technical trade.
I got all the required scores for the REME (except recovery mechanic as I lifted 114kg, not 143kg) to the best of
my recollection I got 38 on the tst and somewhere in the 40-50's on my barb test. But all that aside if I had waited I would have to do the adult course but I was advised by an ex-WO2 and sn ex-instructor at Harrogate that I should get my foot in the door and re-capbadge at a later date.

Cheers, Dan

Latest Threads