Job choice advice?

This is going to sound like I'm blatantly getting ahead of myself but...

I've got selection at ADSC Lichfield in 3 days, and having spoken to a friend who went there a couple of months ago, I was told I could change my job choice in the interview there (I've tried speaking to my CSM, she's away at the moment and apparently will be for the next week, and every time I've tried to speak to another one of the useless people at the NRC I get told to wait until she returns to discuss jobs...)
I'm currently down as EWOp, because I was pretty much thrown in that direction at my interview because of my GCSE's and A-levels, when all I actually wanted to do was RA Artillery Observer... I got told I couldn't waste the quals I have and should definitely go into a technical trade.
Without boring people to death and saying any more, with whichever role I end up with, what are the chances of me being able to re trade between those two jobs (or similar) after doing one for a few years. I understand the as an EWOp I'd gain quals that are actually useful outside the forces, but everywhere I've looked people seem to be shitting on that job role and I get the impression that most of the time it's boring, not very diverse and has limited travel opportunities, although promotion is decent especially with lcpl after phase 2.
If I had it my way (which I know I more than likely won't) I'd go into the RA then try and get into a technical trade after a few years to gets some skills before I even consider leaving. I just wondered if this was even remotely possible.

Again, I know I sound like I'm jumping the gun a bit here but I don't want to make any screw ups, so any replies will be greatly appreciated.
Cheers.

It's your career and your choice. Swapping (transferring) isn't so easy as it used to be. If you don't think Ewop is the trade you want don't be forced into it. Many a potential career has been lost because of recruiters quotas and what they think you should do. Look at all the options, make your choice and have reasons for it. Good luck.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

I'm in total agreement with that but I don't want to be stuck later on in life with no quals. I worked Christmas at Iceland once and it made me want to jump under a bus, the thought of ever having to do that again is enough to push me into EWOp even if it does sound majorly boring with odd bits of excitement thrown in every now and again.

sup rec

LE
Book Reviewer
Well your recruiter should know that there are no vacancies for EWOP before Apr 15 (at the earliest). There is a course to be loaded but there are enough good A grades to fill it. Also remember that if you are going RA you don't make decision yet. You join as RA Gunner Crewman and that is it. During Ph1 you put your trade choices in and are assessed throughout. At Larkhill you will be told what options are open to you.

You will not be going to SC for selection as EWOP, you will be going for RA Gunner Crewman. If your recruiter hasn't advised you of this then he/she isn't doing their job properly.

Last edited:

Drivers_lag

On ROPS
On ROPs
I'm in total agreement with that but I don't want to be stuck later on in life with no quals. I worked Christmas at Iceland once and it made me want to jump under a bus, the thought of ever having to do that again is enough to push me into EWOp even if it does sound majorly boring with odd bits of excitement thrown in every now and again.

That's the army.

matt2470

Old-Salt
My son is a CSE in Royal Signals.. He's saying they are crying out for CSE. His course at phase 2 they were offered about a choice of 40 slots..their were only 12 of them to post... There are too many CSOp currently....

Well your recruiter should know that there are no vacancies for EWOP before Apr 15 (at the earliest). There is a course to be loaded but there are enough good A grades to fill it.

I was told if I passed selection with an A, possibly a B, then I'm looking at starting phase 1 in Nov at Pirbright for EWOp. I originally wanted CSOp but for that I was told there are no female vacancies until next year, and ended up with EWOp since no other Signals trades really appealed to me that much, only the two operator trades.

Do the RA have more regular intakes considering everyone goes into phase 2 with an 'allocated trade'?

matt2470

Old-Salt
CSE is on high pay band....than CSOp... a few thousand more on leaving phase 2....lots of qualifications too....£24666 to about £19000 I think on being class 3

Latest Threads