Job Change or Months of Waiting

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by Scottish_Jim, Jun 16, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hey guys,

I have passed my selection back in february and was offered a job in the REME as an electrician, now months later ive been told theres limited spaces and i won't make it til next april (with a B grade).

My recruitment officer has recommended Communication System Engineer as i could get in now, i was hoping someone on here had information on this trade, its all well and good reading the job sheet on the net but personal experience is always better.

Any help is appreciated, sorry for the seriousness of the post!
  2. check the Royal Signals forum you should find what your looking for in there
  3. Theres no such Trade as Electrician in the REME, maybe your on about Royal Engineers or as said Signals
  4. Stick with what you want, as its only a few months delay on potentially the next 22 years of your life.
  5. msr

msr LE

6. I'm guessing your on about electronics technician in REME? If so, I was in the same boat as you mate, and I too was offered CSE. I liked the sound of the job, and so I decided to go for it.
    There is always the possibility you will get to April, then get told you'll be waiting another six months or so.
  7. i've applied for CSE as my 1st choice, I would recommend it if u like computers (from what I have read). Possibility of immediate promotion after phase 2 and you get good civilan qaulifications too. I can't wait to join...but still waiting to do my PSAC :'( but like previous posts have said...if you really want to do something, a few months isn't that long to wait for a career of your dreams ;)
  8. If you want to do a certain job wait out to do it, dont jump at any job, do what you want to do.
  9. Check where abouts you are on the waiting list, and how many people they are taking on in april then decide. If it's a big intake and you are fairly near the top the it's worth hanging on if it's what you really want to do.
  10. Months of waiting or 22 years of doing a job you didn't want? I know what I'd choose.
  11. It isn't always just months of waiting now though is it? Were talking years, especially if your waiting for a job like electronics tech in REME.
  12. dave, it's shocking how you dont have a start date
  13. hello mate, i have had experience within the royal signals (TA) and to be honest in my first six months as a CS op i couldnt stand however it was the TA and its probs completely different in the regs. But eventually once i started to understand my trade more and more i actually started to like it. At the end of the day it all depends on what your interests are, if your technical minded and would like to work with technology and all that good stuff (being a bit of a geek) then you will like being a CS engineer. you can also get some good quals being a CS engineer.

its a bummer being told you have to wait a long time for a start date. i chose RA, UAV op an got told id have to wait a year to a year and a half and thats with an A grade so i decided to change my job to RMP and got a start date the same day but i chose to change to that. dont let your recruiter push you into a job, the last thing you want is to be stuck in a job you hate!

14. If I was you I'd change job to something else in the REME. I've been told that it's much easier to switch jobs once your in.
  15. From April this year all new entrants sign a Job offer stating once in they WILL NOT be allowed to change trades.