Joanna Lumley turns up in support of Gurkas

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by jest265, Sep 16, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

I was a tad skeptical of this at first but it seems her father served alongisde the Gurkas, which is why she is now supporting them. I usually don't like celebs showing up at things like this but at least it is getting it some press.

I hope the court sees sense and allows them to stay, they have fought for that right and we may not have been as successful without them.
  2. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

See the post below mate,we're way aheed of you.
  3. I think Lumley should get a mention - I'd certainly be delighted to give her one. 8O :D

5. whooops mong post,sorry niner. :oops:
  6. Orangutans one week......Rainforest the the Gurkhas
    Crack on girl................
  7. No, I don't think she was. :)
  8. hedgehog64 - "whooops mong post, sorry niner. :oops: "

No worries mate, as long as I'm first in the line I don't mind how long it is :wink: , providing you don't mind a long wait of course 8)

9. I hope that British justice and common sense prevails. At least civpop are well and truly in support of the Gurkhas.

Joanna Lumley has never made a secret of her 'Pad Brat' origins, and has always identified with the military. Sometime in the '70's she was 'Miss Royal Hampshire'. A lovely lady, Purdey or otherwise!
  10. Her Dad was a Chindit with Wingate.
  11. And her Brother was tortured and imprisoned by the japs in Burma
  12. Grownup_Rafbrat

Grownup_Rafbrat LE Good Egg (charities)

I wonder whether Sir Michael Jackson will mention this campaign. He has a programme on R4 this afternoon in praise of his hero, Slim.
  13. And was 2IC of the same Gurkha Bn in which Mr Pun won the VC at Mogaung during the Second Chindit Expedition. There is the famous "ally" photograph during the Mogaung operation showing the Bde Comd (Calvert, carrying rifle with fixed bayonet) the CO, and Maj Lumley. Another offr in the same Bn, Capt Michael Allmand, was awarded a posthumous VC for the same battle.
  14. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Joanna Lumley has a history of backing excellent causes. She is a fine, honourable filly and her heart and mind are in the right place (shame her naked body isn't at mine).

It doesn't surprise me in the least that she's stepping up on this issue.

Well done!
  15. I have been looking at mainstream media sites and havent seen a thing about the case or Lumley today. Any news on how it's going?