• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Joanna Lumley - The Times’s Briton of the Year

Joanna Lumley: absolutely fearless and still going strong
The Times 28 Dec 09 said:
...That Lumley, 63, should be such a doughty campaigner might not come as a surprise, given her background. The daughter of an officer in the 6th Gurkha Rifles whose life was saved during the war by one of his men, Tul Bahadur Pun, Lumley was brought up in Malaya where her mother, a keen mountain walker, taught her how to deal with snakes. During the Malaya “emergency”, her father would go off into the jungle with his Gurkha troops, to reappear several weeks later, thinner and with a long beard...

...In 2007, in a bar in Sheffield, she confronted a man with a gun. “I do hope you’re not going to use it,” she told him. “Are you in some sort of trouble? Can I do anything to help?” Naturally, he waited until the police arrived...
She gets my vote too. So when will it be 'Dame Joanna'?

Alsacien

MIA
Dunservin said:
...That Lumley, 63, should be such a doughty campaigner might not come as a surprise, given her background. The daughter of an officer in the 6th Gurkha Rifles whose life was saved during the war by one of his men, Tul Bahadur Pun, Lumley was brought up in Malaya where her mother, a keen mountain walker, taught her how to deal with snakes. During the Malaya “emergency”, her father would go off into the jungle with his Gurkha troops, to reappear several weeks later, thinner and with a long beard...

...In 2007, in a bar in Sheffield, she confronted a man with a gun. “I do hope you’re not going to use it,” she told him. “Are you in some sort of trouble? Can I do anything to help?” Naturally, he waited until the police arrived...
When we get a proper government, not one whose primary perspective is selfish, petty vindictivness....

Alsacien said:
Dunservin said:

When we get a proper government, not one whose primary perspective is selfish, petty vindictivness....
You are surely not referring to our current valient and beleaugered leadership? And back on thread, good luck to Joanna, who had the balls to do what she had to do in the early days of her careeer to support herself and became a star.

One of Britains real stars- attractive, cultured and intelligent- and also able to stand her own corner when needs be, and speak out for whats right.

Some of these "X Factor/ Big Brother 15 minute wonders............." need to look listen and learn from her.

"Proper Chick" IMO

She should lead the next Government.

I'd walk barefoot over miles of broken glass just for the chance of sniffing her bike seat.

bristolmod said:
One of Britains real stars- attractive, cultured and intelligent- and also able to stand her own corner when needs be, and speak out for whats right.

Some of these "X Factor/ Big Brother 15 minute wonders............." need to look listen and learn from her.
Seconded :)

Comgratulations to Joann Lumley - an absolutely fabulous person

who on earth is the idiot who posted the comment after the article who dares to call her "a chump"????????? Is it Phil Wools being a bad loser?

Latest Threads