Jo Brand

Have the like - I dont agree it went to far - it was a joke but the bold is exactly the point - Theres no consistency a jokes acceptable against one demographic but a heinious crime against another

Sexual violence jokes against women for example or scenes depicting such - evil ban them - hound the perpetrators from public life - destroy their careers.

Because jokes about sexual and or Domestic violence - subtly justify it to people who do it.

At the same time scenes depicting the same against men are acceptable - ( Woman cures Man flu by pouring boiling water over his balls) funniest thing ever apparently and its just a joke no ones going to do it

So which is it 'Jokes' influence or jokes are just jokes nobody takes it seriously - because right now there's a huge double standard that can only be explained by assuming all men are thick potential rapists incapable of discerning humour from consent
Hence my point about Danny Baker. He tried to justify by saying that he was lampooning 'toffs', not black people, with the monkey picture.

Own petard, and all that.

As others have noted, it wasn't that the joke was offensive (to me anyway) though rather the likely inconsistent media response if the same comment were made concerning politicians on the opposite side by a "Jim Davidson" type (whatever that is).

I’m on the road today, so have been listening to the 5 Live phone in on this issue. Predictably, many of the callers turned it into a slag off Nigel Farage rant, whilst at the same time, in the main, supporting Jo Brand as an edgy comedian. The usual suspects, who would have been howling their indignation from the rooftops if it had been some right leaning bloke who had said something similar.
To be fair to the BBC Presenter, she did try and keep the phone in on track (about Jo Brand), but clearly, those in the background selecting the callers to be broadcast were heavily selective and in the pro Brand/anti Farage camp.

She has been at it again and in the News today. According to her, those idiots throwing milkshakes should replace it with battery acid. Outrageous and inexcusable you may say? Not so. She is being defended by all and sundry as apparently it was a joke. Well I never. She tells jokes?
I spotted where Brand was going wrong years ago. She'd made the mistake of thinking that she's funny.

She was on the card for our SU comedy night one weekend back in '91. Her entire routine was based on finding a mark (male) in the audience and then ridiculing him and men in inflated-stereotype general to the point of it being seen as bullying these days. There were laughs - but, then, that's her level: a bunch of pissed 18-20yr olds with the inevitable SU level of political awareness. The mad cow should have suffered the fate of all other mad cows.

There's a difference between saying something here on Arrse, where the majority are twisted alcoholics, and saying it on national radio, where the weak willed and easily manipulated are part of the audience.
Perhaps someone should ask Katie Piper if she thinks it's a joke or not...?

Jo Brand(like her unwashed male namesake)is not, was not,will never be funny. This has been discussed on Jeremy Vine telly show on Ch5. The all female panel were broadly supportive of Brand even the usually sensible Lowri Turner.
Callers however,not so much. And most of the callers were women.
I wonder if the panel would have had a different attitude if a man made this 'joke'.
Vine,BTW,strongly disagreed with the panel.

I’m on the road today, so have been listening to the 5 Live phone in on this issue. Predictably, many of the callers turned it into a slag off Nigel Farage rant, whilst at the same time, in the main, supporting Jo Brand as an edgy comedian. The usual suspects, who would have been howling their indignation from the rooftops if it had been some right leaning bloke who had said something similar.
To be fair to the BBC Presenter, she did try and keep the phone in on track (about Jo Brand), but clearly, those in the background selecting the callers to be broadcast were heavily selective and in the pro Brand/anti Farage camp.
Brand has no edges; once you get to what would be an edge on a normal person, on Brand, there's just more fat.

I doubt she would benefit from a Tesco Value chemical peel.

There's a difference between saying something here on Arrse, where the majority are twisted alcoholics, and saying it on national radio, where the weak willed and easily manipulated are part of the audience.
Indeed. Wait out for the weak willed actually trying it, or turning up in A&E after attempting to siphon battery acid with a rubber tube...

Brand has no edges; once you get to what would be an edge on a normal person, on Brand, there's just more fat.
Whenever I see her (I try not to), I’m irresistibly reminded of the elegantly-named Chimps’ Ball, a cultural feature of the Airport Camp Sgts’ Mess in 1980-ish Belize. Every other Saturday evening the Mess would send a 4 x tonner down to Belize City to pick up, at an established RV, whatever local beauties wished to attend this glittering society event. It usually took at least two strong men to heave even the lightest of these past the tailgate, with some weighing in at 18st or more.

There may be Arrsers of a sensitive disposition reading this, so I’ll draw a veil over the carnal horrors that followed. But it’s worth saying that Brand, with a light application of Kiwi Parade Gloss, would have blended in perfectly to these touching scenes, though whether her tastes would have run to being beasted by the hairy-arsed denizens of the Mess, I couldn’t possibly say ...

Whenever I see her (I try not to), I’m irresistibly reminded of the elegantly-named Chimps’ Ball, a cultural feature of the Airport Camp Sgts’ Mess in 1980-ish Belize. Every other Saturday evening the Mess would send a 4 x tonner down to Belize City to pick up, at an established RV, whatever local beauties wished to attend this glittering society event. It usually took at least two strong men to heave even the lightest of these past the tailgate, with some weighing in at 18st or more.

There may be Arrsers of a sensitive disposition reading this, so I’ll draw a veil over the carnal horrors that followed. But it’s worth saying that Brand, with a light application of Kiwi Parade Gloss, would have blended in perfectly to these touching scenes, though whether her tastes would have run to being beasted by the hairy-arsed denizens of the Mess, I couldn’t possibly say ...
Sounds like the Chatham and Chattenden stomps on a good night