jiu jitsui or boxing?

Discussion in 'Sports, Adventure Training and Events' started by Osama Bin Drinkin, Sep 11, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I study both boxing and Brazillian jiu jitsui (beginer in both) and I hope to compete in MMA someday. I wanted to know which one i would have the best opportunity to do in the Army.
    I have found a great boxing gym and Barra and i am thinking of joining up in a year, would i be able to do jiu jitsui in the army or is boxing the only real possibility, if i could do jiu jitsui i will focus on getting my blue belt, but if its not i will concentrate on boxing.

I hope this is not a mongy question, but I looked on the Army site and didnt find anything to really go on, apart from seeing boxings a popular army sport.
  2. Even if the army don't offer it, you can always train with a local civvie club.

Although are you training at a separate BJJ and boxing gym? Why not just join your local MMA gym?
  3. I think most MMA gyms are all about making a quick buck, alot of places nowadays will have guys who have bought a blackbelt for a few grand off someone and use it to make alot of money.
    For example my BJJ instructor got his black belt from a Gracie and was ranked first in the state of Rio in 2005, he charges 6 pounds a group class or 35 pounds for a private session with him, 30 with a brown belt and 25 with a purple belt.

The MMA gym in town charges 12 pound a class and 45 pounds a private session and has no one of his calibre there, its a swiz in most of them places IMO, well alot of them anyway and i think its really bad for the sport

Also I work two small hour jobs which means id have to choose one or the other to be able to take one seriously as I cannot afford both really
    • Like Like x 1
  4. BJJ will be best if you're looking at doing MMA (and doing it well in the future) as very few of these fights stay vertical for very long.
  5. Not always the case, as was proved last night when Roger Gracie was knocked out in the first round of their Strikeforce bout by "Big Nog".

MMA is now a complete 'style' all it's own; some pure BJJ techniques are not applicable in an MMA fight. For example, if you're going to pull Guard, you'd better catch the other guy really quickly with an Armbar or Triangle Choke before he punches/elbows your head into a canoe
  6. Big Nog was badass in rio too, the crowd loved it.
  7. I do not agree, for example Anderson Silva studied single martial arts, doing TKD in early life, BJJ and MT all as single arts, he then put them together for his MMA.

As royce says, become great in one style then learn how to be good in each art, with one as your base.
  8. I was sorry to see Roger lose, since the Academy I train at is part of the Gracie Barra, but fair play to Big Nog. He has very heavy hands.

The new BAMMA Middleweight Champion is a serving soldier with 3 Para, and an Army Boxing Champion.
  9. That was true 10 years ago. Now you have clubs who teach MMA as their main style, adapting what works from Boxing, Thai, CSW etc. You no longer have to train in separate arts. Of course you can if you wish, I'm just pointing out it's no longer the only way to go.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. I'm sure you'll agree though if he is going to pick one or the other that BJJ is the more appropriate. Boxing is all well and good but it will come as a shock when his first opponent takes the fight to the ground and doesn't entertain the standing toe to toe exchanging punches style.
  11. I have only heard positive things of one MMA gym near me called SBG Mainline its supposedly amazing but i just cannot make it into manchester centre and back on a pedal bike lol and a lift during rush hour wont be an option.
  12. Style vs style BJJ wins all IMO, but for MMA I am under no illusions that you need to be proficient in standup and ground game just to avoid anihilation.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Unfortunately my local MMA gym is used to supply more drugs than my local pharmacy and consists mainly of water retaining blokes who have more in common with Raoul Moat than Cain Velasquez.

Which is a shame as MMA is definately the way ahead.
    • Like Like x 3
  14. boxing in the army if your unit does it. If you want to train you will need to look at a civvie gym. As for MMA learn to wrestle as that decides were the fight takes place.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. To be honest, I think both are equally important, and it's possible to train both at once. A good martial arts academy will typically offer training in BJJ and Thai Boxing at least. Some will offer specific MMA or CSW classes that allows one to put the separate arts together.

Another factor to consider is that some fighters are very hard to get on the mat. The Iceman made a career out of "stuffing" take-downs by Wrestlers and BJJ fighters, forcing them to stand and bang.

The days when a fighter could afford to be one-dimensional are over. Today's MMA fighters will have a specific type of fighting they prefer, but they will be able to fight at other ranges when they have to.