Jimmy Storie last veteran of SAS Regiment 'originals' passes away at the age of 92

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by Pathfinder Jack, Jan 16, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Good morning all,

Born: 3 December, 1919, in Ayr. Died: 8 January, 2012, in Laurencekirk, Kincardineshire, aged 92.

Their daring, audacity and fearlessness knew no bounds but now the final chapter in the exploits of the original band of legendary SAS soldiers has come to a close with the death of the last surviving member.

Jimmy Storie, a tile fixer in civilian life, was one of just 22 men who survived the first disastrous mission under the command of SAS founder David Stirling. But he went on to complete incredible feats of bravery in the desert before being captured, held in solitary confinement and packed off to a prisoner of war camp in Czechoslovakia, eventually returning home to marry his sweetheart...

Jimmy Storie last veteran of SAS Regiment 'originals' passes away at the age of 92

2. Sympathetic_Reaction

Sympathetic_Reaction LE Book Reviewer

Same generation as my grandparents - my Gran passed away last week as well, at the age of 94, although having had a less 'extreme' life.

A generation we will never see the like of again, hard as nails, worthy of our respect and admiration.

• Like Like x 7
  3. My late second cousin Bernie was a founding member of the SBS. ******* excellent bloke, quiet, small and wiry. Some big fat 18 year old yob tried to throw his weight about in the pub when Bernie was seventy-one. He wiped the floor with him!
    • Like Like x 2
  4. This kind of thing happend to my great uncle - ex Burma who had done some damage out there with cheese wire. Two yobs tried their luck him back in the 60's I remember him saying '....oh they were too busy picking their teeth up' =|
  5. Jimmy's photo appears in a few instances in the current book on the SAS in WW2. I looked through all of the pages in our 'Ally Thread' convinced that I'd seen a piccie of him a few years ago prior to his capture in WW2. Jimmie is 'BELIEVED' to be the last surviving member of 'L' Det SAS.

Edited to add - May his soul rest in peace.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. My god, I knew Jimmy, he drank in my local pub a few miles outside Laurencekirk!

We all thought he was a complete fruit loop!

He could alsways be seen in a bottle green suit he must have bought in the 60's, muddy wellies and a pipe.

I was told numerous stories about him by the old boys. but never about any militady service.

Apparently as a kid he would run behind the school bus as they would not let him on because of his farmyard smell.

He also apparently dug a snow tunnel from a village called Auchenblae to Stonehaven,about 12 miles, during a particularly severe winter so that the village could get food.

I guess he typified a SAS vetran, unasuming, slightly strange and never spoke about his times in the SAS.

RIP Jimmy
  7. RIP.

Condolences to family, friends, and comrades in arms.

As stated, their ilk we will never see again, much is the pity. Vale.
  8. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

I never fail to be inspired by the life of these old boys. WW1 veterans where thick on the ground when I was growing up. Indeed the pipe band had WW1 vet still playing when I joined the TA. I believe there is now only one Brit alive who served in WW1. I was taught at school by WW2 vets. There were some still serving when I joined. I suppose I thought they would be around for ever. They still make a good attendance on Remembrance Sunday but they are falling out steadily. The youngest WW2 vets are in their mid 80's.

9. The last of the greats-RIP
  10. Sadly I think that Harry Patch was the last soldier of the Great War; the last Brit was Claude Choules who was in the RN. He died last year.

It is a passing generation. When I was at school our English teacher had been one of the first troops on the beach on D Day (he was RE). I worked with a guy who was a bomber pilot in the Great War; a guy who had flown Thunderbolts in the far east, all sorts. The stories they could tell.....they were a breed apart. I hope we can match them.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 2
  12. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Indeed it would appear that she is the last living veteran of the Great War.
  13. Here's a slightly better photo:

Showing wings over breast pocket and beret at a jaunty angle.

one of the 'originals' RIP

And again here second from the right.

• Like Like x 1

14. Thanks for uploading those. The photo that I thought had already appeared in our 'Ally Thread' was the one where he was sat holding a pistol.
  15. RIP, hard as nails that man.