Jimmy Somerville.....

Okay we all know the rumors, Liney 7 Sigs. Does anyone actually have any first hand (ooh err...) knowledge or proof of this, or is it just another stupid rumor?!!?

I have also heard this romour, if most of the Bronski beat hits were kicking around in 84 then he would have had to been in ealier than 88, so any of the old salts maybe able to help here.

Scam12_Jedi said:
Never heard anything about it when i was there (88-92).
Me neither when I was there 89-93 5 Sqn

But, in answer to your Q, no have not read another thread, just a gen up Q! Still, any of you old and bold have an answer, please?

carpetsfm7sr94champs said:
But, in answer to your Q, no have not read another thread, just a gen up Q! Still, any of you old and bold have an answer, please?
good spot on my error.

the answer is no, he was never in the military at all as far as any info available on the web says.

I never heard of him as serving either and i was in at the timeframe he was liable to have served

knew a bloke in the early 80's at 211 sigs by the name of Somerville- we called him Jimmy but he was a porridge wog techi lance jack - not a bad bloke either but he couldn't sing. Could be the same bloke then - hahahahahaha

Does mean any of the other rumoured Corps memeber weren't in either?

To name and claim(ish) a few

Norman Wisdom (I think although he wore a Jimmy he was part of the CSE or whatever it was called during WWII)
One of the england keepers (As a jock and a rugby fan I've no clue which one maybe Banks)
One of the Harrod's bombers (I've always taken that one with a pinch of salt)
Kris Akibussi (was he a scaley prior to being APTC?)

I'm sure there's hods more.

the_baron said:
Does mean any of the other rumoured Corps memeber weren't in either?

To name and claim(ish) a few

Norman Wisdom (I think although he wore a Jimmy he was part of the CSE or whatever it was called during WWII)
One of the england keepers (As a jock and a rugby fan I've no clue which one maybe Banks)
One of the Harrod's bombers (I've always taken that one with a pinch of salt)
Kris Akibussi (was he a scaley prior to being APTC?)

I'm sure there's hods more.
kriss akabusi was definately in the Corps before he transferred, he was a jnr soldier at Ouston in 76

I remember a full screw while I was going through basic in 92 telling us he served with him at 7 sigs so I suppose either 1) he was full of sh*t or 2) JS has a double in both name and body. If it's the Cpl I'm thinking of who told us the story and I still remember his name I would go with option one.

there was a lad nicknamed jimmy sommerville looked very like him back in the mid eighties not the real one obviously but may have been the seed point for the rumour

This must be one of those urban legends that just does the rounds depending on arm/corps/service. As a sprog, i was constantly being told that Jimmy Sommerville used to be a sparker (Radio Operator) in the Navy.
...cue ribbing about matelots loving bum-love etc.
yawn.

Jimmy Somerville
Born in Glasgow, 22nd. June, 1961.
British pop singer, composer, actor, and gay activist
Bronski Beat
Formed in 1983.
British pop band.

The band was set up by keyboard players Steve Bronski with Larry Steinbachek, and lead singer Jimmy Somerville.
=================================================

2462**** Sig John Somerville RR tech

7 Sig Regt 24 Jan 85 - 25 Jul 88

I can remember said Communards member on some spurious TV pop (pantz) show, where he was actually wearing a Corps tracksuit in one of his (dubious) videos.
I believe this is where the urban myth of him having been a part of the Corps was born.
Or maybe not.