Jim Wallwork GPR Pegasus bridge

Discussion in 'Aviation' started by Porridge_gun, Jan 25, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Porridge_gun

Porridge_gun LE Good Egg (charities)

Ive just heard that Jim Wallwork, Pegasus bridge hero and all round thoroughly good egg has passed away aged 91.

There is a famous print of him landing his glider about an inch away from the bridge.

Corps legend and 100 percent gentleman, I've only seen it just on Facebook so unconfirmed yet.

Go easy old timer, I hate RIP threads but to one of the first chaps to put the Corps on the map, totally deserved.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Had the honour of meeting the great man on a couple of occasions and he was certainly one of the greats of the greatest generation.

The landing of his Horsa Glider within pissing distance of the bridge was described as "the greatest feat of flying of the second world war" which is worthy praise indeed.....and the fact he "arrived" on occupied French soil by going bum over chest through the windscreen just went to show he had style as well as skill.

• Like Like x 2
  3. ......................I met him too, at Pegasus Bridge, where he was Prince Charles guest at the opening of the new museum in 2004.

1 Para lobbed in, followed by a mega piss up!

4. You'll be lucky!

P.S. It's 'amend'.

• Like Like x 2
  5. msr

msr LE

Those in glass houses....

• Like Like x 1
  6. 47m from the bridge, after gliding in with nothing more than a compass, stopwatch ( and tons of practice ) to guide.

Also landed at Arnhem, I understand.

Amazing feat.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  7. ...and Op Varsity, and Sicily.

8. It is a sad fact that in a few short years time,we will have lost the remaining veterans of the last world war. The only thing we as future generations can do is make sure that their exploits are not forgotten.
    I also think that men who have lived life to the full maybe don't want to rest in peace, but rest noisily in a naked bar with free beer and a bus load of nurses from Rinteln.
    Either way, a remarkable man who deserves to be remembered.

• Like Like x 3
  9. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

Rest in peace? People like this are still smashing it up now! We had a Glider Pilot Regt guy as a guest at a dining out held recently. I had to go and have a quiet word with him in the end - he was well oiled and had cornered the only woman in the room. No problem in itself but the CO was waiting (patiently, and smiling I might add!) to give his leaving speech!

Truly great blokes.

10. As we say to the Germans, "You started it".

RIP Jim. Outstanding effort.

11. Porridge_gun

Porridge_gun LE Good Egg (charities)

For the landing at Pegasus and for market garden his testes are being buried separately with honours

12. We have the Founders lunch on the 21st Feb at Middle Wallop in the presence of those that are left. The ranks have a few more spaces this year. You will be toasted.

Nihil est Impossibilis - Nothing is Impossible.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)