• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Jim Wallwork GPR Pegasus bridge

Ive just heard that Jim Wallwork, Pegasus bridge hero and all round thoroughly good egg has passed away aged 91.

There is a famous print of him landing his glider about an inch away from the bridge.

Corps legend and 100 percent gentleman, I've only seen it just on Facebook so unconfirmed yet.

Go easy old timer, I hate RIP threads but to one of the first chaps to put the Corps on the map, totally deserved.

Had the honour of meeting the great man on a couple of occasions and he was certainly one of the greats of the greatest generation.

The landing of his Horsa Glider within pissing distance of the bridge was described as "the greatest feat of flying of the second world war" which is worthy praise indeed.....and the fact he "arrived" on occupied French soil by going bum over chest through the windscreen just went to show he had style as well as skill.

It is a sad fact that in a few short years time,we will have lost the remaining veterans of the last world war. The only thing we as future generations can do is make sure that their exploits are not forgotten.
I also think that men who have lived life to the full maybe don't want to rest in peace, but rest noisily in a naked bar with free beer and a bus load of nurses from Rinteln.
Either way, a remarkable man who deserves to be remembered.

The_Duke

LE
It is a sad fact that in a few short years time,we will have lost the remaining veterans of the last world war. The only thing we as future generations can do is make sure that their exploits are not forgotten.
I also think that men who have lived life to the full maybe don't want to rest in peace, but rest noisily in a naked bar with free beer and a bus load of nurses from Rinteln.
Either way, a remarkable man who deserves to be remembered.
Rest in peace? People like this are still smashing it up now! We had a Glider Pilot Regt guy as a guest at a dining out held recently. I had to go and have a quiet word with him in the end - he was well oiled and had cornered the only woman in the room. No problem in itself but the CO was waiting (patiently, and smiling I might add!) to give his leaving speech!

Truly great blokes.

Latest Threads