Jim Muir I know you are reading this...

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by BuggerAll, Oct 13, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Mr Muir,

Please stop calling us 'squaddies'. Its soldiers. You using the word especially in the way you do is akin to me calling black people by the 'N' word. It may be alright for black people to use the word themselves but you and I should not. Same with squaddy. Its one thing for hairy arrsed squaddies to use the term amoungst themslves - its another thing entirly for you to use it in a TV broadcast - its highly disrespectful to say the least!

Rant over

2. I agree with the sentiment. But who the **** is Jim Muir?

Litotes

3. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

He is one of the BBC's Baghdad journos. He was on the news talking about the reaction to CGS comments. He mentioned that he garnered that reaction from a popular website that 'squaddies' use. Kept repeating 'squaddies' this and 'squaddies', completly got on my tits - hence the post and why I know he will be reading it.

4. In exactly the same vein. Please, please please do not use the word Soldiers or The Army as a generic term for HM Forces. British Forces will do nicely as a collective noun. Surely you appreciate that the Army, Royal Navy and Royal Airforce have distinct identities of which we are rightly proud. It is about as sensitive and astute as calling Jim Muir a famous Sunday Sport reporter!!!!!

5. Funny, I have already complained to the BBC about this issue, I'll let you know how they come back about it.

6. And, Mr Muir, can you also name the site from which you say you've taken soldiers' views?. I recall Lord Charles (the dinner-suited puppet of ventriloquist Ray Allan) using arrse some 40 years ago - frequently.

On general confusion, I was surprised to see Richard Holmes' pages in BBC about development of the standing army - featuring only illustrations of RM Commando (en-route to Falklands) and of a marine from 18th century. I imagine a booty editor, well the BBC's all gay so it makes sense.

7. I agree with Neds post - Five Live earlier referred to Lord Gardens service as a soldier :roll:

8. I am not sure that Mr Muir or his journalistic colleagues have any ill intent when they use commonly used military terms such as squaddie.

I guess it depends in the context it is used. If it was a negative story critising the forces I might agree.

9. and furthermore......if he (Mr Muir and his BBC colleagues) are reading this website, that can in my view only be a positive thing, can't it?

10. No where near as bad as CNN who seem to think that it's perfectly acceptable to call us "Brits". I'm sure a few words would be said should we start abbreviating Pakistanis. But then we are a tolerent society, we don't burn down mosques and CNNs not the sharpest tool in the box.

11. Agree with this. You don't hear journalists using the word 'journos' or 'reptiles' when refering to their own profession on air.

Personnel is another ghastly word. Referring to sailors, soldiers or airmen as personnel is tantamount to calling them human resources. This practice should be stopped by journos and officers. At point of the bayonet if necessary!

12. I like this illustration from another thread:

13. I tend to prefer the all-encompassing "single-celled amoebic pond-life".

14. Absolutely right there.