Jim Muir I know you are reading this...

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Mr Muir,

Please stop calling us 'squaddies'. Its soldiers. You using the word especially in the way you do is akin to me calling black people by the 'N' word. It may be alright for black people to use the word themselves but you and I should not. Same with squaddy. Its one thing for hairy arrsed squaddies to use the term amoungst themslves - its another thing entirly for you to use it in a TV broadcast - its highly disrespectful to say the least!

Rant over

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
He is one of the BBC's Baghdad journos. He was on the news talking about the reaction to CGS comments. He mentioned that he garnered that reaction from a popular website that 'squaddies' use. Kept repeating 'squaddies' this and 'squaddies', completly got on my tits - hence the post and why I know he will be reading it.

In exactly the same vein. Please, please please do not use the word Soldiers or The Army as a generic term for HM Forces. British Forces will do nicely as a collective noun. Surely you appreciate that the Army, Royal Navy and Royal Airforce have distinct identities of which we are rightly proud. It is about as sensitive and astute as calling Jim Muir a famous Sunday Sport reporter!!!!!

sknn said:
Mr Muir,

Please stop calling us 'squaddies'. Its soldiers. You using the word especially in the way you do is akin to me calling black people by the 'N' word. It may be alright for black people to use the word themselves but you and I should not. Same with squaddy. Its one thing for hairy arrsed squaddies to use the term amoungst themslves - its another thing entirly for you to use it in a TV broadcast - its highly disrespectful to say the least!

Rant over
Funny, I have already complained to the BBC about this issue, I'll let you know how they come back about it.

And, Mr Muir, can you also name the site from which you say you've taken soldiers' views?. I recall Lord Charles (the dinner-suited puppet of ventriloquist Ray Allan) using arrse some 40 years ago - frequently.

On general confusion, I was surprised to see Richard Holmes' pages in BBC about development of the standing army - featuring only illustrations of RM Commando (en-route to Falklands) and of a marine from 18th century. I imagine a booty editor, well the BBC's all gay so it makes sense.

I am not sure that Mr Muir or his journalistic colleagues have any ill intent when they use commonly used military terms such as squaddie.

I guess it depends in the context it is used. If it was a negative story critising the forces I might agree.

No where near as bad as CNN who seem to think that it's perfectly acceptable to call us "Brits". I'm sure a few words would be said should we start abbreviating Pakistanis. But then we are a tolerent society, we don't burn down mosques and CNNs not the sharpest tool in the box.

Agree with this. You don't hear journalists using the word 'journos' or 'reptiles' when refering to their own profession on air.

Personnel is another ghastly word. Referring to sailors, soldiers or airmen as personnel is tantamount to calling them human resources. This practice should be stopped by journos and officers. At point of the bayonet if necessary!

I like this illustration from another thread:

wellyhead said:
2 Soldiers are walking home when they see a small child being attacked by a huge dog, quick as a flash they rush over and beat the dog away saving the child.

A witness sees the attack and rushes over

“My god,” the man says “That was the bravest thing I have ever seen. I’m a reporter for The Sun and I’m going to write a story about you”

He gets out his pen and quickly scribbles down

Boy saved by Courageous Sailors

“No sorry mate were not in the Navy” one of the soldiers says

“Oh sorry” the journalist says and quickly scribbles some more

Child snatched from jaws of death by brave airman

“Err mate,” the other soldier says, “we’re not RAF either, we’re in the army”

“Oh right , no probs” says the newsman as he crosses out the last headline, “here we go”

ARMY SHAME: Beloved pet kicked to death by heartless drunken squaddies

Fred_Cat said:
Agree with this. You don't hear journalists using the word 'journos' or 'reptiles' when refering to their own profession on air.

Personnel is another ghastly word. Referring to sailors, soldiers or airmen as personnel is tantamount to calling them human resources. This practice should be stopped by journos and officers. At point of the bayonet if necessary!
I tend to prefer the all-encompassing "single-celled amoebic pond-life".

DontMentionTheWar said:
Fred_Cat said:

I tend to prefer the all-encompassing "single-celled amoebic pond-life".
Absolutely right there.

Apologies to anyone offended by my use of the word "squaddie" on air (only once, honest!). I spend many hours each day with our security guys, all ex-Forces, and have heard the word used a million times, but never in a pejorative or patronising way, simply an informal and friendly one, which is what I intended. To learn that some people equate it to the use of the N word for black people was an eye-opener to me (and I have to say to our security guys too). Incidentally, I have no problem at all if you want to call me a journo, but reptile...perhaps not! Anyway, no more on-air squaddies for me, you can be assured.

I found this:

Jim_Muir said:
Apologies to anyone offended by my use of the word "squaddie" on air (only once, honest!). I spend many hours each day with our security guys, all ex-Forces, and have heard the word used a million times, but never in a pejorative or patronising way, simply an informal and friendly one, which is what I intended. To learn that some people equate it to the use of the N word for black people was an eye-opener to me (and I have to say to our security guys too). Incidentally, I have no problem at all if you want to call me a journo, but reptile...perhaps not! Anyway, no more on-air squaddies for me, you can be assured.
on this thread:

http://www.arrse.co.uk/cpgn2/index.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=891656#891656

sknn said:
Mr Muir,

Rant over
.. aren't we being a little over sensitive on this one..

Squaddy far from being derogatory, is to me a mark of respect.. in the same manner American's refer to their soldiers as "Grunt's", .. the latter is not meant in a bad way.

As far as I know, no other country has similar...???

Point about Navy and RAF is valid though,... obviously not Squaddy's, but equally important in the context of Iraq,.. British Forces..

Jim, welcome to Arrse.

Thanks for coming in and answering. Must say on reading back I was a bit surprised too. Never been insulted by Squaddie , it's a term we use amongst ourselves, and a term more and more of civpop are using , mostly as a term of respect. It's the 21st century equivalent of Tommy isn't it? I think more journalists than Jim use the term.

Who here who is serving finds Squaddie insulting, or equating to the 'N' word? Is it an insult , dismissive or a friendly term? Personally I think it's insulting when pre-fixed by f***ing :D

why does the west insist on trying to establish the equivalent of the Met Police when most Iraqi policemen cannot read and write
.and if reports are to be believed ,are corrupt to the point of disbelief and in the pockets of various factions? Maybe we should disband the Police per se, and have a members of the new Iraqi Army drafted into a para-Military Police force?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
msr Royal Signals 1
W The Intelligence Cell 18
Red-On Royal Signals 5