"Jews are here, Jews are there, Jews are almost everywhere"

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by KGB_resident, Nov 1, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?cid=1129540615504&pagename=JPost%2FJPArticle%2FShowFull

Managing Director Ian Walton of Forward Press - which printed about 450 copies of the poetry collection, "Great Minds," for schoolchildren and their families - said Taylor had intended the poem as a "condemnation of Nazism".

I don't agree with it. As for me them I see it as a worst type of anti-Semitism, unacceptable in the modern society. How it possible that such things can happen in the UK?

Btw, is there a problem with anti-Semitism in British armed forces?
  2. I think Tom Lehrer had the best view in his song "National Brotherhood Week"

or here for the full words and chords.
  3. I was only a reservist, but it said "Jewish" on my dogtags and I never had any problems.

4. Oh yeah, and KinkyFriedman (a Jewish ex-cowboy country singer) - from his song "They ain't making Jews like Jesus any more"
    or full lyrics here

Never came across anti-semitism (sic) during my time, but certainly a lot of antipathy to the holocaust 'industry'.
  5. I never saw any anti-semitism at Regimental Duty. Some senior officer would have to comment on if such things are discussed in the General ranks. All seems a bit pointless really, and as I have stated in previous threads, those who espouse such rantings are normally low ability mongs anyway and are treated with disdain.

I have shagged several young ladies (not that young MDN!) who turned out to be Jewish (didn't matter to me). With two I only found out months later and it seemed as though they were afraid of being labelled in some way but the other was very combative about it. Top shags though (says Dread lowering the tone of the serious thread (or maybe I was just crap? Thought I would say it before anyone else)).

One possible reason for there being no overt anti-semitism is that 'they' look like us. Unlike black and asian people it can be impossible to tell a Jew from a Christian; not all Jews look like Fagin. Rachel Stevens (hubba hubba!) is a jewess (and the religion is passed through the maternal line with Judaism). Since leaving the Army I have had several business dealings with Israeli Jews and have found them hard as diamonds to do business with, but they always delivered their side of the bargain.
  6. Sergie,

Maybe in 1940 if you came from the Czechoslovakia. My Grandfather continues to bitch about the treatment he received when he arrived in the UK. That said, most of his complaints seem to be aimed at the UK population post war, in terms of institutional discrimination for being an Asylum Seeker. Certainly when he served there were comments, but he took the line that Pte Tommy A, if wounded, would be grateful for treatment by a doctor irrespective their religion. I can't think of an incident whilst I have been serving. Compared to what I hear from him about the Czech Republic now, there remains a degree of Latent anti-Semitic feeling.

He did give me sound advice when I joined and I think is applicable to any group that does not fit the White-Anglo-Saxon model. "Never give them an excuse to say that the Jews are lazy, tight etc etc, by always being careful to be on time, dressed smartly and correctly, be willing to join in with them in the NAAFI and make sure that professionally that they can rely on you in any situation"
  7. Never came across it directly, but a good mate married a secular jew and kept quiet about it in his unit as a lot of his lads had a pseudo airborne fallshirmjager Combat 18 mentality.
    One could say that the focus on recent immigrants has led people to forget the BNP/NFs past crypto nazi history, but that there is always some twisted sod about who hates the world and picks on traditional targets
  8. Why does everyone find it so easy to put words into Hitlers mouth?

History favours the Victor I suppose.

Why are the British always critisised and told to remember it is in the past etc etc when we bring up the war.
    "Let it go, time has passed, we are one Europe" etc. Nobody tells any member of the Jewish faith the same when they keep bleating on about it. 'Holocaust' is a big industry which we are all made to feel guilty for.

Anyone for an eggy drink??
  9. I'd say there is very little Anti Semitism or racism in the British Army, not withstanding the institutionalised anti Anglo Saxon racism now present as a result of political correctness. I have a very close friend who is Jewish and she is a quality soldier and as a whole if someone is a decent person and soldier their ethnic origin is not ever an issue. The issue only arises when some over promoted incompetent constantly plays the race card. They are a bigger threat to equality than even the most rabid Combat 18 member as they turn even moderate people racist!
  10. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

Hee haw (already)!

The great Kinky Friedman, one of the world's only Jewish Country and Western cowboy legends, is running for governor in Dubya's home state ( uh, that'll be Texas then) under the slogan:

' Kinky for Governor - Why The Hell Not ! '

Sergei, although the numbers have considerably reduced since the British Army fielded a Jewish Brigade* in WWII, there is no more discrimination against Jews than against any other non-WASP minority in my view ( but then I'm neither a Reg nor Jewish so....).
    Certainly the Army alleges that it is fanatically tolerant of all/any religion, providing ration packs for Hindu, Muslim and Jewish adherents as well as the odd vegetarian.

( I saw Veggie rat-packs and bag meals...never saw either of the others but I'm sure others here have.)

There was a Parliamentary response a couple of years ago that gave the percentages by religious conviction in the British Armed Forces - 97% professed to be Christian.Interestingly, there were fewer Jews than either Muslims or Hindus.

(for most squaddies, they answer 'Cee of Eee' by rote when asked what religion, if any, they want recorded on their docs and dogtags.....it is seldom evidence of God bothering tendencies....C of E ( eg nominally Church of England rather than Catholic or Methodist etc) is widely known as 'Christmas and Easter - those being the days when even CofE people go to church ie twice a year in a good year.....it is also sometimes called by the ungodly 'The Tory Party at prayer' ;-) )

I attended a couple of services when I was in Iraq - on a base with I'd guess maybe 1200 people permanently attached there were around a dozen people.....coupla Fijiians, a smattering of Yanks , a few Brits.

Interested to hear what the split is in the Russian Armed Forces - are Muslims allowed a separate place of worship ?
    Do your Army units now have padres ?

Le Chevre

*cf The Jewish Brigade, An Army of Two Masters 1944-45 by Morris Beckman
    In 1945, a Jewish army took the field for the first time in 2,000 years, this time in Italy. Eager to prove their worth as fighting men and to take revenge on the persecutors of their race, Jewish men of The Palestine Regiment took part in the final months of the Second World War. Later they became embroiled in tracking down Nazi war criminals and helping Jewish refugees. No less than 35 generals of the Israeli Defence Force served with the Brigade.

See also text at http://www.fotw.net/flags/il%5E.html

11. I can see how it might be misinterpreted, but the poet is not expressing favour towards Hitler's stance - he is writing it to show what Hitler’s warped mind was thinking. When you're reading it, do you think "Good point, we should have killed Jews"??? No, more likely "That guy was sick", which was the intention.

If it is being studied in school lessons, there will be hours of detailed discussion surrounding the poem and the history behind it, and hopefully intelligent debate stimulated by it.

Art is only good if it makes you think, or shocks you in some way - if you make a rule that you are not allowed to shock (and possibly upset) people any more, how dull will everything be? If you don't like it, don't read it, it's not going to kick up a new wave of anti-Semitists.
  12. Well the Holocaust industry is being rather milked for political reasons. Make no mistake, it was a disgraceful event but nothing compared to what Stalin got up to. All genocide is evil, The holocaust is merely one of many disgusting events to plague mankind and should not be forgotten but neither should it be used as an excuse for those with sinister political motives. It should also not be forgotten that 600,000 Serbs were killed, that British soldiers died in Concentration camps and lets not forget the genocide by abuse that the Japanese inflicted on POW's in SE Asia. 20 Million Russians also died in WW2, are their deaths any less tragic? We must not forget these events, we should certainly learn from them and the saddest thing about the PC dictatorship we now live in is that it is going to have the opposite effect of what it intends. We can all live together irrespective of race or creed, what cannot be tolerated is the imposition of alien cultures and values on a society which does not wish it.
  13. It was a big industry between 1941 and 1945 too, and that is why we remember it, to try and ensure that we never turn our backs on mass genocide again.

Unless you're Black that is.
  14. And let's not forget the original holocaust (as named by Churchill c1920) of Turks vs Armenians. Bizarrely 'the' holocaust industry want the word for themselves - which I feel is a bit low.
  15. We had Catholics, Protestants, Muslims, Hindus, Jews and Agnostics in my unit - of all colours and both sexes, and we never had any intolerance towards anyone. We were Green first, and that was all that mattered.