Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jewish names matter

There could be a really offensive version:

Auschwitz
Belsen
Colditz
Dachau
Einsatzgruppen
Focke Wolf
etc etc

When they say "..many English speakers also use terms like "D for Dennis, S for Sugar" on the phone" they mean people who don't actually know the phonetic alphabet.
Probably about 90% of the country.

I blame COVID-19 and lockdown: people with far too much time on their hands, and nothing useful in their brains.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
When they say "..many English speakers also use terms like "D for Dennis, S for Sugar" on the phone" they mean people who don't actually know the phonetic alphabet.

Mrs F knows the phonetic alphabet but chooses not to use it, partly to annoy me but mostly to see exactly what she can get away with for humorous effect

Thus first 2 of our post code usually is along lines of
Incontinent
Vagina

To be pedantic, the names are not anti-Semitic, it was the revision of the alphabet that was.

So Dora is not anti-Semitic, the act of removing David was anti-Semitic.

To remove Dora will therefore be anti-Gentile.
Mittelbau Dora, aka Nordhausen, twinned with Buchenwald, was somewhat anti-Semitic.

This change does raise the spectre of have a more diverse and inclusive phonetic alphabet in Britain.

Here's a starter:

A - Africa - plundered by evil British colonialists.
B - Buggery - banned by an oppressive Patrichal society until 1967
C - Coalminers - deprived of an early death through silicosis or mine collapse by that evil hag Thatcher.
D - Dikes - Who fought for the right to have purple hair.

etc...
K - Kamerad (dated May 1945)?

This change does raise the spectre of have a more diverse and inclusive phonetic alphabet in Britain.

Here's a starter:

A - Africa - plundered by evil British colonialists.
B - Buggery - banned by an oppressive Patrichal society until 1967
C - Coalminers - deprived of an early death through silicosis or mine collapse by that evil hag Thatcher.
D - Dikes - Who fought for the right to have purple hair.

etc...

I'm trying to remember the rugby song version. It starts A is for Arrsehole... There was a Rugby song thread a few months ago.

Stop that. It's silly.
According to Herr Blume, you're supposed to be offended.

I would have thought the first thing they would demand to get rid of is Volkswagen
1607112336295.png

( know a PCSO [a scouser and ex-RMP not that either or those are really relevant] who uses Indigo and Zebra.

I also heard an officer on the radio get a mental block. The conversation went

C/S Vehicle Check, please

Control Go ahead

C/S XXX 59 XX.......Sugar...Sh1t...Sierra

Control [totally dead-pan] Is that one S or three?

[unidentified callsign with hoots of laughter in the background and a cry of CAKES!!]

I'm trying to remember the rugby song version. It starts A is for Arrsehole... There was a Rugby song thread a few months ago.
It starts

A is for ARRSE'oles all covered in sh1t, Hay ho says Roley
and B is the bugger that revels in it, singing roley-poley up 'em and at' em way-up says Anthony Roley

c = cnutlips all dripping in pi55
d= the drunkrd tht gives 'em a kiss

e = the eunuch with only one ball
f = the f'ker with no balls at all

etc

ETA I was reminiscing with an old mukka from Basic 1987 about which of our old rugby songs were fit for broacst nowadays. We're climbing up the Sunshine Mountain was about it. Our club anthem was Two Little Boys so even the clean one is now taboo. ***** was a lazy **** is certainly out!

Last edited:
It starts

A is for ARRSE'oles all covered in sh1t, Hay ho says Roley
and B is the bugger that revels in it, singing roley-poley up 'em and at' em way-up says Anthony Roley

c = cnutlips all dripping in pi55
d= the drunkrd tht gives 'em a kiss

e = the eunuch with only one ball
f = the f'ker with no balls at all

etc

Thank you, we'll get there for Christmas!

endure

GCM
That would be irrelevant, there would still no confusion as to what was meant, which is the point of the phonetic alphabet.

Just like today, there will be some mincing pooftahs that say "Pah-Par" for P, as opposed to "Pah-Pah". It still doesn't matter, what is meant is understood either way.
Unless you happen to be one of the happy band of radio hams who not only don't use the official phonetic alphabet but use different phonetics for different occurences of the same letter in the same sentence...

I really can't remember the rest - it was a long time ago and it wasn't my 'lead'. I was 'The sexual life of the camel' and 'An engineer told me'.

"Engineer told me before he died ah hummm ah hummm"?

A nails Saffer who served with me in the IDF taught us that one.

Latest Threads