Jewish Chaplain to HM Forces

Rabbi Saunders was apointed in September 2009 as the first ever Jewish Civilian Chaplain (CCM) to the Military. He joins CCMs from other faiths - Muslim, Hindu, Sikh and Buddist. The reason he is wearing uniform in the picture (with the rank of Captain and the RAChD cap badge) is because he is also holds a TA commission as an ACF chaplain.

Full details at: http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/D.../FirstJewishCivilianChaplainToTheMilitary.htm

Shalom! My life already!!

Astatine said:
Seems that there are so few Jews in the Forces that the Rabbi Major's main job is talking to HM Xtian BAOR soldiers in....churches!

http://www.bfgnet.de/Community/news/bergen_hohne/rabbi_saunders.html
Why have you got a bee in your bonnet about a Jewish Chaplain?

Do you have any connection to the British Army at all?

Astatine said:
Sorry: I though RAMC stood for "Royal Army Mechanical Corps". My mistake. They are UK troops. No Dutchmen look like these.

Astatine
Oh yes, and I think the word you were looking for was 'Christian'.

Is he on a personal crusade to consume all the calories that his brethren were denied in the Polish Pontins?

In the days of WW2 and National Service, there were tens of thousand of Jews in the UK Forces.

But why does the presence of a mere 200 non-observant Jews in the British Forces today justify Whitehall deciding just now to create a 75,000 pound per year Jewish Chaplain?

Who says they are non observant?

No self-respecting Torah-observant Yiddishe boy would voluntarily put himself in a gentile army, where he would perforce be exposed to non-Kosher meats like bacon, and Sabbath profanation - and that's the least of it - Oy Vey :D !

And I don't think that UK army regulations allow sidelocks!

Where did the figure of 200 come from?

Not disputing it as I know no better, but I do remember that my last regt had at least 4 AAC badged Yids that I knew of, so about 1% (or just under, depending on manning levels) which means that statistically the Army should have somewhere between 1000 and 1500 Jews in it.

Or did the lure of Aviation and knicker dropping berets and pretty Screaming Eagle badges just attract a higher percentage of our pork dodging mates? ;)

Sixty

ADC
Book Reviewer
Astatine said:
But why does the presence of a mere 200 non-observant Jews in the British Forces today justify Whitehall deciding just now to create a 75,000 pound per year Jewish Chaplain?
Is he on a secret pay scale that only you know about?

In addition there is the usual question of the "dual loyalty" of the Jew.

Should British troops as part of NATO ever be called to perform peace-keeping duties in Jerusalem, the West Bank and Gaza, as is often mooted by former PM Tony Blair, Rabbi Major Saunders might be called to serve HM Forces in Israel/Palestine.

Where would his loyalties lie: with his brother Jews?

Or with his employer, HM The Queen?!

Astatine said:

Should British troops as part of NATO ever be called to perform peace-keeping duties in Jerusalem, the West Bank and Gaza, as is often mooted by former PM Tony Blair, Rabbi Major Saunders might be called to serve HM Forces in Israel/Palestine.

I'm assuming we can put you down as a volunteer for the guard tower.

Astatine said:
Because a sky pilot is there to provide support to practitioners of any faith. He isn't there for 200 Jewish service personnel, he's there for everyone.

Why do you care?

Astatine said:

Are you related to Tubbs1970?

Latest Threads