Jet! When Britain Ruled the Skies

Discussion in 'Aviation' started by Sinner251, Aug 23, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. New series on BBC4 available on Iplayer

The blurb on the 1st episode

In the heady post-war years of the 1950s and 60s, British flying was at its zenith and its aircraft industry flourished in a dazzling display of ingenuity and design brilliance. Having invented the jet engine, Britain was now set to lead the world into the jet age with a new generation of fighters and bombers. The daring test pilots who flew them were as well-known as the football stars of today, while their futuristic-looking aircraft, including the Meteor, Canberra, Valiant, Vulcan and the English Electric Lightning, were the military marvels of the age.

BBC iPlayer - Jet! When Britain Ruled the Skies: Military Marvels

• Show again braincell Show again braincell x 1
  2. There was a very good book I read on the subject recently called empire of the skies. Very interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using ARRSE

3. Good programme only thing worth watching for months, why the hell the Labour govt let R R sell the technology to the Ruskies when we were so far ahead is criminal, or Liebor carrying out orders true to form.The TSR2 looked well ahead of its time ,i see where Gerry Anderson got his ideas from now.

4. It just reinforced to me that cuts have gone on forever and history continually repeats.

5. Thanks for the iPlayer link

6. Quite. Just ensure that you spend gazillions before you scrap it. Apart from that a thoroughly enjoyable meander into yesteryear, though they could've given the FD2 slightly more coverage than 0.2 sec.

7. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

Did you mean 'Empire of the Clouds: When Britain's Aircraft Ruled the World' by James Hamilton-Paterson? The author provided a fair bit of commentary in the documentary.

8. That's the badger. A good read and you can see why the British aerospace industry was so chaotic in the post war years.

Sent from my iPhone using ARRSE

9. sirbhp

sirbhp LE Book Reviewer

I have absolutely no interest in aeroplanes unless they are taking me to marbs for me hols . However watch this programme last night and was enthralled. Blimey I remembered the lightnings vulcans and even the Harriers Wizard Show BBC.