Jerusalem our Nations Anthem

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by dance_with_the_devil, May 16, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Watched a fascinating programme on BBC Four this evening about the
    words and lyrics of William Blake's Anthem "Jerusalem"

It posed the question should such a classic be voted as our Nation Anthem.
    Yes we have God Save The Queen, and quite rightly so.

It also had mixed feeling amongst the Church of England, so far as some
    would not allow it to be played in Church, for a Sunday service or even
    for Wedding Day services either.

Apparently some of the lyrics were not seen by the church as holy enough!
    I for one think the Sound of Jerusalem playing in either the church or Rugby stadium certainly raises the heckles on my neck and gives me
    goose bumps all over.
    So it gets my vote, if ever one was to arise.

What say fellow Arrsers out there?

2. I vow to thee my country
    All earthly things above
    etc etc

Sung of course to Jupiter.
    No question really

3. Jerusalem was played at my wedding, and All Things Bright and Beautiful.

A tear to the eye for all.

Then I hit him with a spade and buried him under the patio.

No seriously, Jerusalem was my wedding song.

4. Well really we should have five anthems, one for each country and one for the Kingdom. Simple as really.

Jerusalem is fine for England. I think that Flower of Scotland is popular in Scotland although it's not exactly positive about the Union. I don't know about Wales and Ireland.

We can all sing God save the Queen together though can't we?

5. I think God save the Queen is good for the nation but why can't England have it's own like the others? Jerusalem would be good but so would I vow to thee, my country

http://www.guildmusic.com/sound/sn7223.htm

6. Our national anthem is "God Save The Queen".

Until it changes.

Then it will be "God Save The King"

7. Damn fine piece of music. Next time the Frenchies get uppity, or the Spaniards decide to go left flanking into the channel (or for that matter when the local council scrap weekly rubbish collection), I'll have the speakers strapped to zimmer frame going at full pelt.......

Their eyes will be bleeding by the time its "shining forth on our clouded hills"

:)

'Nuff said.

And did those feet in ancient time
    Walk upon England's mountains green?
    And was the holy Lamb of God
    On England's pleasant pastures seen?

And did the Countenance Divine
    Shine forth upon our clouded hills?
    And was Jerusalem builded here
    Among these dark Satanic mills?

Bring me my bow of burning gold:
    Bring me my arrows of desire:
    Bring me my spear: O clouds unfold!
    Bring me my chariot of fire.

I will not cease from mental fight,
    Nor shall my sword sleep in my hand
    Till we have built Jerusalem
    In England's green and pleasant land.

8. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

Ireland is a foreign country, with its own national anthem. The national anthem of Northern Ireland is 'God Save The Queen'.

There are plenty of popular songs in Northern Ireland which are positive about the union, but which a minority of people object to, as they object to their national anthem.

9. I think fine for rugby matches and the like (when playing UK countries), but my National Anthem is God Save the Queen. anybody who says you cant get behind it when you sing it, isn't trying hard enough!

10. Land of Hope and Glory gives me a hard on every time and should be adopted as the English anthem. While I agree that God Save The Queen should be used for British occasions, and it is a song I love, we need something that reflects us as a nation of Englishmen. The Scots an the Welsh have their identities through their anthems but they then see God Save The Queen as a reflection of English control over them, and take no pride in it, or being British, because it's the English Anthem.

11. Hear him, hear him!

12. God save The Queen is the British national anthem which is fine for things like the olympics when we have British teams, however why should England be denied it's own anthem when we are competing as England?

Jerusalem would be an ideal anthem.

13. "God Save the Queen" is rightly the national anthem for the United Kingdom encompassing England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. A lovely hymn "Jerusalem" may be, but it is quite specifically about England and therefore of no merit to the other parts of the Kingdom. Regional songs/anthems for sporting events are something else entirely and "Jerusalem" would be better suited to this for England than the all encompassing national anthem they currently use.

Oh dear - I must have overdosed on pompous pills this morning. Where's the stomach-pump?

14. Why not Land of Hope and Glory for England as with the commonwealth games, Rule Brittania For GB and God Save The Queen when HMTQ is about?

15. All together now....

"Always look on the bright side of life .... "

A much better English anthem, IMHO