Jerusalem our Nations Anthem

Watched a fascinating programme on BBC Four this evening about the
words and lyrics of William Blake's Anthem "Jerusalem"

It posed the question should such a classic be voted as our Nation Anthem.
Yes we have God Save The Queen, and quite rightly so.

It also had mixed feeling amongst the Church of England, so far as some
would not allow it to be played in Church, for a Sunday service or even
for Wedding Day services either.

Apparently some of the lyrics were not seen by the church as holy enough!
I for one think the Sound of Jerusalem playing in either the church or Rugby stadium certainly raises the heckles on my neck and gives me
goose bumps all over.
So it gets my vote, if ever one was to arise.

What say fellow Arrsers out there?

dance_with_the_devil said:
Watched a fascinating programme on BBC Four this evening about the
words and lyrics of William Blake's Anthem "Jerusalem"

It posed the question should such a classic be voted as our Nation Anthem.
Yes we have God Save The Queen, and quite rightly so.

It also had mixed feeling amongst the Church of England, so far as some
would not allow it to be played in Church, for a Sunday service or even
for Wedding Day services either.

Apparently some of the lyrics were not seen by the church as holy enough!
I for one think the Sound of Jerusalem playing in either the church or Rugby stadium certainly raises the heckles on my neck and gives me
goose bumps all over.
So it gets my vote, if ever one was to arise.

What say fellow Arrsers out there?
Jerusalem was played at my wedding, and All Things Bright and Beautiful.

A tear to the eye for all.

Then I hit him with a spade and buried him under the patio.

No seriously, Jerusalem was my wedding song.

Well really we should have five anthems, one for each country and one for the Kingdom. Simple as really.

Jerusalem is fine for England. I think that Flower of Scotland is popular in Scotland although it's not exactly positive about the Union. I don't know about Wales and Ireland.

We can all sing God save the Queen together though can't we?

I think God save the Queen is good for the nation but why can't England have it's own like the others? Jerusalem would be good but so would I vow to thee, my country

http://www.guildmusic.com/sound/sn7223.htm

Damn fine piece of music. Next time the Frenchies get uppity, or the Spaniards decide to go left flanking into the channel (or for that matter when the local council scrap weekly rubbish collection), I'll have the speakers strapped to zimmer frame going at full pelt.......

Their eyes will be bleeding by the time its "shining forth on our clouded hills"

:)

'Nuff said.

And did those feet in ancient time
Walk upon England's mountains green?
And was the holy Lamb of God
On England's pleasant pastures seen?

And did the Countenance Divine
Shine forth upon our clouded hills?
And was Jerusalem builded here
Among these dark Satanic mills?

Bring me my bow of burning gold:
Bring me my arrows of desire:
Bring me my spear: O clouds unfold!
Bring me my chariot of fire.

I will not cease from mental fight,
Nor shall my sword sleep in my hand
Till we have built Jerusalem
In England's green and pleasant land.

EX_STAB said:
Jerusalem is fine for England. I think that Flower of Scotland is popular in Scotland although it's not exactly positive about the Union. I don't know about Wales and Ireland.
Ireland is a foreign country, with its own national anthem. The national anthem of Northern Ireland is 'God Save The Queen'.

There are plenty of popular songs in Northern Ireland which are positive about the union, but which a minority of people object to, as they object to their national anthem.

I think fine for rugby matches and the like (when playing UK countries), but my National Anthem is God Save the Queen. anybody who says you cant get behind it when you sing it, isn't trying hard enough!

Land of Hope and Glory gives me a hard on every time and should be adopted as the English anthem. While I agree that God Save The Queen should be used for British occasions, and it is a song I love, we need something that reflects us as a nation of Englishmen. The Scots an the Welsh have their identities through their anthems but they then see God Save The Queen as a reflection of English control over them, and take no pride in it, or being British, because it's the English Anthem.

God save The Queen is the British national anthem which is fine for things like the olympics when we have British teams, however why should England be denied it's own anthem when we are competing as England?

Jerusalem would be an ideal anthem.

"God Save the Queen" is rightly the national anthem for the United Kingdom encompassing England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. A lovely hymn "Jerusalem" may be, but it is quite specifically about England and therefore of no merit to the other parts of the Kingdom. Regional songs/anthems for sporting events are something else entirely and "Jerusalem" would be better suited to this for England than the all encompassing national anthem they currently use.

Oh dear - I must have overdosed on pompous pills this morning. Where's the stomach-pump?

Why not Land of Hope and Glory for England as with the commonwealth games, Rule Brittania For GB and God Save The Queen when HMTQ is about?

All together now....

"Always look on the bright side of life .... "

A much better English anthem, IMHO

The_Cad said:
God save The Queen is the British national anthem which is fine for things like the olympics when we have British teams, however why should England be denied it's own anthem when we are competing as England?

Jerusalem would be an ideal anthem.
There is a nagging feeling that it's OK for all the colonial chaps to have their 'little bit of freedom', but when the English finally decide to go it alone that really will be it.

Bit patronising I s'pose. But that's the way the cookie seems to crumble.

Jerusalem - a wonderful hymn taken from the poem Jerusalem by William Blake (1757 - 1827). I agree that it is the most wonderful hymn, and although I don't agree it should be made our National Anthem I certainly think that it has a huge place in our history as a (once :( ) great Nation.

William Blake was a poor man who studied at the Royal Academy, and like many great thinkers/artists of his time mainly went unnoticed/unappreciated by the general public until many years after his death. Some may be interested to know that he was also (again after his death) recognized as a great painter. Arguably one of his most well known works is 'The Ancients of Days', a painting showing God encompassing the world in a set of compasses. William Blake is also acknowledged to have been a bit of a revolutionary thinker in his day, and widely believed to have been persuaded towards something known as Christian Mysticism.

Whilst he may well have had in mind the visitation to our shores of Christ when he wrote Jerusalem, he may also have envisaged a 'Heavenly' Jerusalem, in mankind himself, or recognised a much disputed and (un-proven) link between Jerusalem and Great Britain. It has long been suggested by some that one of the (12) tribes of Israel may have settled on the Celtic shores after their 'displacement'.

I have, no doubt gone on enough, so will leave it at that. Still a great Hymn, and apologies if I have bored everyone.

It does niggle that when the home nations play rugby / football / whatever each nation but England has its own national anthem (as in a nation being a people and not a territory) and the English have what could be described as the Union's anthem God Save The Queen. I think that it would be better if all the home nations paid tribute to HMTQ and the Union, then wound it up with their stirring national songs.

The problem with Jerusalem is discerning what Wm Blake actually meant by it. 8)

The first three verses are all questions, and appear to criticise or mock England. 8O

The final stanza/verse alone is positive. :D

Latest Threads