Jersey Wool Heavy

Is the JWH still an authorised form of dress with CS95? Seen loads of Siggy types wearing them about these parts over the DPM shirt/jacket, jacket/shirt..oh whatever it's supposed to be.

The other thing too, thay all had Union flag, TRFs and Div patches sewn on them, plus the obligatory rank and name tapes. G A F.

I am lead to believe that it is an add on piece of kit which should be utilised when the weather is too cold for just Shirts but not cold enough for fleeces. Ive also heard that CO's have the option to make a policy decision for his/her Regt to wear.

wolf1 said:
Why not! Doesn't it get cold where you are?
Yes, but I just make sure I wear a T-shirt under my shirt, roll the sleeves down and put a jacket on.

The plethora of badges was the main thing I was wondering about.

(Slopes inserts Raving Pedant chip)

Isn't it known as a 'Jumper Heavy Wool'?

(Slopes removes aforementioned chip)

Wear mine still.

It pisses off the OC. But it keeps me warm and man do I look good in it.++++++++++ It keeps me warm.

I know some Cavalry Regts still have them, although in a different colour.

The_Sloping_Wire said:

I thought the chip had been surgically implanted! :lol: :lol:

...and it's a 'Jersey Heavy Wool', surely?

ViciousCircle said:
I am lead to believe that it is an add on piece of kit which should be utilised when the weather is too cold for just Shirts but not cold enough for fleeces. Ive also heard that CO's have the option to make a policy decision for his/her Regt to wear.

Fleeces? fleeces...? You guys get to wear fleeces now? Be bloody baseball caps next...

Got stopped in the States near the Mexican border about ten years ago by the US Border Patrol. After realising I was the holder of a real passport (Her Britannic Majesty etc) and not a soaking wet Mexican, he mentioned that he was wearing one of our woollys as nothing else was as warm. Not sure if they were issued or the lads got hold of them themselves.

Bet they wouldn't be seen dead wearing fleeces :)

In these cases of confusion, just reverse the order in which the words would normally be. eg strut jack = jack strut
therefore by this flawed reasoning heavy woollen jumper becomes jumper woollen heavy.
Anyone else think that awol should be making more posts, if purely for the picture.

ViroBono said:
The_Sloping_Wire said:

I thought the chip had been surgically implanted! :lol: :lol:

...and it's a 'Jersey Heavy Wool', surely?
Label inside mine says:

JERSEY MANS HEAVY OLIVE DRAB ROUND NECK

Does that mean there really i a different version called:

JERSEY WOMANS LUMPY OLIVE DRAB ROUND NECK ?

E

error_unknown

Personally I'm a fan of the rather nifty S95 version. I managed to blag one at Warminster just after they were introduced - and just before they were withdrawn - when I was on a course, thus making myself the only person in my unit to have one. Anyway, just as warm as the original JHW but a tad smarter in my humble opinion.

chickenpunk said:
Personally I'm a fan of the rather nifty S95 version. I managed to blag one at Warminster just after they were introduced - and just before they were withdrawn - when I was on a course, thus making myself the only person in my unit to have one. Anyway, just as warm as the original JHW but a tad smarter in my humble opinion.
Ok whats the diference?

The_Sloping_Wire said:

OK. So it's a Jersey Heavy Wool. The valium takes time to wear off.

WhiteHorse said:
chickenpunk said:
Ok whats the diference?
Instead of thick ribbed (for her pleasure) knit, it's a smooth all over type of knit.

Votes for a thread just to discuss AWOLs avatar.

X-Inf

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Votes for a thread just to discuss AWOLs avatar.[/quote]

I'd rather discuss the subject of AWOL's avatar, complete with full photographic (emphasis on graphic) evidence. :wink:

PS, as an old fart I rember these being issued in the late 60's in place of the thin jumpers issued for the previous 40 years or so. The amount of disappearing jumpers, queues at the QMs, threats of disciplinary action for not looking after kit etc, etc, etc. They were the best bit of kit issued up to that point and worshipped by the troops. (Septics would exchange almost anything to get hold of one)

The newer issue one makes you look like a WRAC, or some kind of homosexual crab-dick :roll:

i'll stick with my JHW with its bootlace in the collar and creases you could cut a civvie with. :twisted:

crossed rifles look paticularly good over stripes on a jersey heavy wool :D

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Oracle said:
Label inside mine says:

JERSEY MANS HEAVY OLIVE DRAB ROUND NECK

Does that mean there really i a different version called:

JERSEY WOMANS LUMPY OLIVE DRAB ROUND NECK ?
JERSEY, WOMAN'S, HEAVY, OLIVE DRAB, ROUND NECK, FLARED, ARRSE, FAT, FOR THE COVERING OF