Jerry Reed RIP

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by Virgil, Sep 2, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Living in that cultural wasteland that are the British Isles you may not be aware that Jerry Reed died yesterday.

One of the great guitar pickers of our time, and a real slice of Americana; sad to see him go.

Here are some great examples of his work. He's a bit redneck in his music. Ok, he is the definition of redneck music, but damn good.

Though it might be like throwing pearls before swine here is the great Jerry Reed:

With guitarist Chet Atkins doing "Jerry's Breakdown"

Jerry Reed "Wabash Cannonball" - can you understand the their accents before and after the song? Frankly I had difficulty at first and I lived in the South.

And of course there's his East Bound and Down from Smokey and the Bandit one of the greatest Redneck movies every made.

And one of my favorite pieces of country schlock; "She got the gold mine, I got the shaft".

2. Indeed, and only one of the best because Smokey and the Bandit II IS the greatest redneck movie ever made. What is it about Burt Reynolds and great redneck movies? East Bound and Down is good, but Ride Concrete Cowboy has a pathos all of it's very own.

3. Not exactly 'iconic', but has a place in music history. A consistently good writer and performer and responsible for Elvis's classic 'Guitar Man'.

No.9