Jeremy Bowen on the Front line

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by POM7071, Jan 17, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just watched the programme as listed below, one of the best documentaries to be shown on the BBC for a long time.

They bring the horrors of distant conflicts into people's front rooms and interpret history as it's being made. But the risks of being a war journalist have never been greater. In the last four years, 62 reporters have died in combat zones.

Jeremy Bowen, the BBC's award winning World Affairs Correspondent, explores the lives and motivations of those whose work revolves around death and destruction. How do they operate in the most dangerous working conditions imaginable? What are the stories the public don't see? And what are the psychological costs of constantly bearing witness to man's inhumanity?

Bowen talks to some of the most famous war reporters of our time, while revisiting the conflicts that have defined our age.
  2. Indeed POM7071, excellent programme I thought, painfully honest and revealing.

Bowen got a lot of stick for his "bunker" report etc from Baghdad during 1991, causing a lot of annoyance amongst families at home (but no effect on the troops because they didnt see it!), however he has gone up in my estimation since. I hope the programme will be repeated.
  3. I remember his reports from the Holiday inn , and I certainly remember the report after the Graveyard atrocity.

All in all, not a bad programme , but I think there are some demons there, bubbling away just below the surface.
  4. Well PTP we knew you would have to be in the Holiday Inn. Despite it being OOB at that stage, so I've been told? A friend of mine went there for 24 hr alleged R&R the day before the air war started, laughably enough he spent much of his 24 hours in 3R. Result.

Dont mention the demons! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
  5. LOL!

No , I remember his television reports from the Holiday Inn. For one of them I remember the team were either on the roof, or leaning out a window , and there was bloody tracer everywhere .

I remembered them because it reminded me of Kate Aide's famous
    "This is Kate Adie , in a wardrobe in my room in the Holiday Inn , Beirut"

I think he is a brave man , especially as all they have to really protect them sometimes, is a flak jacket and the word "Press" on their gear.

Which of course didn't save Martin Bell getting shot, and didn't stop that poor sod in Gaza getting zapped by an IDF Sniper. :(
  6. Ahh, PTP, so NOT the Holiday Inn, Al Jubail then?

Shame on hackle for being so suspicious! :oops:

Your 'brief' will charge much for coming up with that 'story' so fast, and late at night too. :wink:

Agree with your comments about the better representatives of the media, and they push the envelope pretty damn hard when they believe its necessary.
  7. I thought they came over as a bunch of self important adrenline
    junkie war tourists .No wonder so many of them get killed :twisted:
    Throughout the program i was torn between admiring the guy for displaying bravery and a conscience and a understanding of the journlists role and how sometimes they took themselves too seriously ,And , Disgust
    at the way they are parasites feeding off other peoples trouble .Though if people didnt want to watch war reports he wouldnt have a job .
  8. I knew a lot of adrenaline-junkie squaddies. Strange thing was so few of them went up the golden staircase.
    His displayed bravery in a situation of his own choice certainly seems different to that os a soldier who has no choice as to where he is or how he acts in battle or danger. Anything that shows the silent majority what war is and how it changes mankind must be a good thing - it might slow down the leaders' rush to combat. Dulce et decorem est - rubbish I'm afraid and often uttered as a mealy-mouthed condolence.
  9. I remeber that place!! We were all sanbagged up to hell and back in the port and all of the senior officers were 5 miles doen the road living in luxury with not a defensive measure in sight. If any nasties wanted to destroy the British and US military bulild up all they had to do was walk in there with an AK and go ballistic.
    Sloppy security.
  10. Apologies for starting this off-topic diversion! :oops:

Rumour control, perhaps. I have checked this, and got this answer: although uncommitted manpower and defence stores were hard to come by during Div deployment phase and Div HQ's short time in Al Jubail, their camp had a full defence platoon, wire and anti-truck bomb concrete obstacles etc. If they had taken more resources for themselves, that would have been criticised too. I also understand that Div Main and Rear HQ's both deployed into the safety of the desert very early Jan 91, before the start of the air war.

Maybe thinking of higher formation in Riyadh? (AFAIK they had an infantry defence company.)