Jena 6x42 how much?

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by Tartan_Terrier, Aug 10, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just spotted an old Jena DDR 6x42 for sale at my local gunshop. The glass looks fine, but externally it's rather worn looking.

They're asking 2000 DKR (224.15 GBP at today's rates), is this a fair price, or should I pass?

Cheers in advance for any help.
  2. Seems a heap of money unless you are particularly looking for a piece of classic glass.
  3. My thoughts exactly! Any ideas on what this would go for in the UK?

4. A Docter in similar condition might fetch half that. I would have thought about the same for the Jena but I don't know whether it is particularly collectible. If you want it for a classic rifle then it's probably a good deal but if it's for something new or newer then don't lose sight of how much a Schmidt und Bender 6x42 is, particularly the Hungarian assembled ones.

Klassik Hungaria 6x42 von Schmidt & Bender - Zielfernrohre - Optik -
  5. The rifle I'm thinking of putting it on is from 1975, so it's probably of a similar vintage. I'm going back up tomorrow to pick it up (it's just had bases fitted), and I'll see if I can negotiate a better price.
  6. Good God! I've just converted that to Sterling! They've gone up a bit!
  7. beware with second hand optics (especialy old ones), theres a lot with fogging issues because the nitrogen has all leaked out, and they are quite often sold with no limited warranty

is there anyone in the UK that can or will dry nitrogen re-fill a scope????
  8. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Try Brighton and Hove Gunrooms, he has repaired a fair few of my classic toys.
  9. My local gunsmith, retired now, did the job. I can ask him and might be able to arrange it. he was quite good at rebuilding classic scopes.
  10. Went back today and got it down to half the price. Still didn't buy it though I was sorely tempted. All your talk of leaky nitrogen and foggy optics ruined it for bastards! ;)
  11. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Surely you could buy, try and return if faulty, unless sold as seen?